UKBouldering.com

EU Referendum (Read 507882 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1400 Re: EU Referendum
July 14, 2016, 04:52:02 pm
<cynicism>Investors encouraging people to invest, next publicans will be trying to sell people beer.</cynicism>

a dense loner

• forum hero
#1401 Re: EU Referendum
July 14, 2016, 05:04:12 pm
Well yes that's true Johnny but I didn't want to be as defeatist as most

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#1402 Re: EU Referendum
July 14, 2016, 05:24:43 pm
I see that the B of E didn't feel the need to cut interest rates. Perhaps things aren't as bad as some want us to believe.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1403 Re: EU Referendum
July 14, 2016, 05:44:23 pm
What do you mean 'on here' Dense? Nothing matters. Nothing.
I didn't have you down as a nihilist kes. Please don't cut off my Johnson. Although you can cut off the other one, Boris that is

andy popp

• forum hero
#1404 Re: EU Referendum
July 14, 2016, 05:46:05 pm
There's not enough meaningful data yet, especially vis-a-vis the "real" economy - a move in any direction would have been precipitous.

Btw, I'm not gleefully awaiting catastrophe just so my remain biases are confirmed. I would be very surprised if the economy is not damaged but have never predicted near apocalypse. The most significant damage (for example in investment) will only become apparent over time.

Meanwhile, my university has just today lost a very good senior overseas academic appointment because of Brexit. Many similar decisions, large and small, will be occurring and will continue to occur.

ps. in reply to Tregiffian obviously.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1405 Re: EU Referendum
July 14, 2016, 07:23:20 pm
What do you mean 'on here' Dense? Nothing matters. Nothing.
I didn't have you down as a nihilist kes. Please don't cut off my Johnson. Although you can cut off the other one, Boris that is

Short memory you've got. I'm a Marxist nihilist now remember?

petejh

• forum hero
#1406 Re: EU Referendum
July 14, 2016, 07:49:06 pm
<cynicism>Investors encouraging people to invest, next publicans will be trying to sell people beer.</cynicism>

<sincerity> It can't have passed you by that a huge amount of this threads's hot air including mine has been bullshitting about the economy and what's going to happen to it. And of course investment is closely linked-with/part of the economy. The website I linked offers readers a range of different opinions and predictions, from a variety of experts pro/ambivalent/and anti-brexit, but yes all I suppose sharing a very general bias in favour of investment. How bad of a bias is that really? Does anyone in the financial world recommend actually not saving or investing? </sincerity>

<jibe@statistician> If only the world wasn't so messy and biased. Life would be so much more predictable and controllable. </jibe@statistician>

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1407 Re: EU Referendum
July 14, 2016, 09:06:55 pm
What Sean said - your site their seems to be overwhelmingly about how to profit from increased uncertainty. I've read a few pieces and I can't seem to see very much optimism about the country's fortunes as a whole - merely the opportunity to bet on them. Your man does, however, appear to largely agree with what I said on the last page:

Prospective economic growth now only has one realistic source: productivity gains. The boost to competitiveness from the sliding pound will help but ultimately productivity and GDP growth will require higher public and private investment. The later seems unlikely for now and hence the likelihood of a recession but in time a pivot to fiscal expansion will likely moderate and perhaps transform the outcome.

petejh

• forum hero
#1408 Re: EU Referendum
July 14, 2016, 09:46:21 pm

I don't think anyone disagrees that that would be 'a good thing'. Not me at least.

What Sean said - your site their seems to be overwhelmingly about how to profit from increased uncertainty.
The site is a news website about investing. That's pretty much the definition of investment - seeking opportunities in an uncertain world.

Death and taxes, etc.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:19:47 pm by petejh »

petejh

• forum hero
#1409 Re: EU Referendum
July 14, 2016, 10:20:47 pm

I don't think anyone disagrees that that would be 'a good thing'. Not me at least.

What Sean said - your site their seems to be overwhelmingly about how to profit from increased uncertainty.
The site is a news website about investing. That's pretty much the definition of investment - seeking opportunities to preserve/create wealth in an uncertain world.

Death and taxes, etc.

rodma

• forum hero
#1410 Re: EU Referendum
July 14, 2016, 10:23:49 pm

The site is a news website about investing. That's pretty much the definition of investment - seeking opportunities in an uncertain world.

Death and taxes, etc.

Crikey, what sort of overprivileged person has money to invest [emoji14]

seankenny

• forum hero
#1411 Re: EU Referendum
July 14, 2016, 10:25:37 pm

That a situation has such opportunities is no way an indication that the situation is a particularly good one to be in!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1412 Re: EU Referendum
July 15, 2016, 08:40:22 am

<sincerity> It can't have passed you by that a huge amount of this threads's hot air including mine has been bullshitting about the economy and what's going to happen to it. And of course investment is closely linked-with/part of the economy. The website I linked offers readers a range of different opinions and predictions, from a variety of experts pro/ambivalent/and anti-brexit, but yes all I suppose sharing a very general bias in favour of investment. How bad of a bias is that really? Does anyone in the financial world recommend actually not saving or investing? </sincerity>

Yes, you've done well at repeatedly pointing out others posts are hot air, nice of you to acknowledge the same of your own as it wasn't coming through particularly strongly in your posts, which was what I was getting at with the small dig further back about someones perspective not being as positive because they don't have shares.  It all depends on your perspective, no matter how objective an individual attempts to be, we are the product of our experiences.

Its good to hear different points of view and have your own challenged though.

<jibe@statistician> If only the world wasn't so messy and biased. Life would be so much more predictable and controllable. </jibe@statistician>

It also wouldn't exist as we know it.  The basis of evolution is variation (along with heritability) on which natural selection acts, if the world were less 'messy' there would be no variation on which natural selection can act, life wouldn't then evolve (I'm primarily a biologist as my scientific interests started in evolutionary biology and genetics, statistics is something I drifted into).  More generally variation is the substance of and what makes a statisticians job interesting, so your jibe is pretty baseless. :tease:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 09:07:36 am by slackline »

psychomansam

• forum hero
#1413 Re: EU Referendum
July 15, 2016, 09:55:19 am
I see that the B of E didn't feel the need to cut interest rates. Perhaps things aren't as bad as some want us to believe.

I suspect the B of E didn't cut interest rates because they hope that some people will then think that things aren't as bad as some people think.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#1414 Re: EU Referendum
July 15, 2016, 10:21:35 am
God there's a lot of clever people on here

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1415 Re: EU Referendum
July 15, 2016, 10:43:22 am
Thank you

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1416 Re: EU Referendum
July 15, 2016, 10:56:27 am

I suspect the B of E didn't cut interest rates because they hope that some people will then think that things aren't as bad as some people think.

:blink:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1417 Re: EU Referendum
July 15, 2016, 11:16:44 am
God there's a lot of clever people on here

Love you too, sweet cheeks. xx

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. Looking at you, here, Dense.

petejh

• forum hero
#1418 Re: EU Referendum
July 15, 2016, 11:19:41 am

Hmm yes and the moon landings were faked to make people believe the US was winning the space race.  :???:

psychomansam

• forum hero
#1419 Re: EU Referendum
July 15, 2016, 11:29:28 am

Hmm yes and the moon landings were faked to make people believe the US was winning the space race.  :???:
So conspiracy theory vs sensible and fairly mainstream analysis. I very strongly suspect it was at least a contributing factor, and think it was probably a sensible one. Markets are jittery. Confirming doom and gloom for the sake of potential marginal benefits from an immediate .25% drop might well be counterproductive.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1420 Re: EU Referendum
July 15, 2016, 01:29:48 pm
I don't know much about all this. I do know that pretty much every job I've had in the last ten years has been at least part EU financed and in some cases fully EU funded. I attended a conference in Manchester yesterday about EU funding mainly attended by third sector providers. Speakers included bigwigs from various government depts (DWP and DCLG) and Big Lottery and basically, no one knows anything or is prepared to commit to anything other than, "carry on as you are but expect change and probably not for the better".

Not particularly helpful...

Pretty much all lottery funding has been matched with EU money in the last few years, doubling the effect and the impact (not to mention the number of jobs created) and it seems highly likely this will stop. Lots of people worried and scared about the future of their organisations and staff. The impact is already being felt in terms of EU relationships particularly in education as highlighted by Prof Popp above.

I don't know what all this means in the long term or for the rest of you and I am now thankfully in a position that doesn't rely on EU funding but I know a lot of scared and worried people in lots of different walks of life, including close friends I've worked with for a long time.

#brexitbellends

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1421 Re: EU Referendum
July 15, 2016, 01:45:51 pm
Can't understand your negativity at all. Can't you see there are opportunities here for fund managers to profit?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1422 Re: EU Referendum
July 15, 2016, 01:52:31 pm
You unpatriotic oik with your Doing Britain DownTM and your Project FearTM! Don't you know that we're Making Britain Great AgainTM? We've Taken Back ControlTM from the European SuperstateTM so now everything will be absolutely perfect. There are no problems. Wealth is Poverty; Poverty is Wealth.

I suggest you start singing the national anthem and ignore any information that contradicts the idea of a Brexit utopia. God Save The Queen!

petejh

• forum hero
#1423 Re: EU Referendum
July 15, 2016, 02:45:21 pm
There's no arguing with people who make comments like those Will.

Fatneck - There isn't a mental firewall that makes people who voted 'leave' unaware of these things. I too know people in exactly the sorts of positions you mention. My partner for instance, who used to work in EU-funded regional development positions. Knowing this isn't a good reason to continue with something - close political union with 27 other European states - that fundamentally you don't agree with.

Scottish Referendum - no, not the next one  ::) - To the more 'enthusiastic' on here:  How did you feel about the Scottish wanting independence from a close political union with the UK? Ask yourself if your feelings on that are consistent with how you feel about the UK wanting independence from a close political union with the EU. Many no doubt have consistent views on both. But some may have conflicting views.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1424 Re: EU Referendum
July 15, 2016, 02:57:46 pm
There's no arguing with you Pete :p

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal