UKBouldering.com

Fascism (Read 2078 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Fascism
October 31, 2018, 09:27:14 am
It’s on the rise. Article about the experiences of a young campaigner in  former East Germany. Not encouraging reading.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/31/neo-nazi-eastern-chemnitz-germany-saxony

Apologies for double posting, but I really think the article about Trump belongs here too.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/30/trump-borrows-tricks-of-fascism-pittsburgh

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Re: Fascism
October 31, 2018, 11:37:55 am
Meanwhile in Italy...
https://bologna.repubblica.it/cronaca/2018/10/30/news/la_disney_sulla_t-shirt_della_vergogna_auschwitzland_ripugnante_indagheremo_per_difenderci_-210403600/

During a meeting in Predappio to celebrate the March on Rome anniversary, this beautiful person donned this nice t-shirt.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#2 Re: Fascism
October 31, 2018, 12:18:08 pm
If I read that right she's a supporter of Forza Nuova and union candidate for Budrio per Aurora  - what's that? Also what's the 1922 march reference, can you explain? Grazie.

Pretty shocking - or ought to be.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: Fascism
October 31, 2018, 02:42:37 pm
It's more than shocking to me, it's a monstrosity.
This is what happens when even the last "taboos" - we could also call them "traces of dignity and humanity" - fall: made legit by the likes of Trump and Salvini, even the most racist and unbearable things can be said, written and worn. There's nothing that can't be said anymore, because it's been already said on TV by some politician.
At a dinner a few weeks ago, a guy was couting how he refused to hire an African guy for his company, just because he was African. Unfortunately, we were at a birthday event with kids and stuff, otherwise I would have left - after smashing his ugly face. I didn't even try to argue, because I felt that there was no common ground to even just argue. I want to argue with humans, not with beasts. 
But you see, now you can say anything. Anyone can say anything, because it's been already said on TV by some politician, so it's been legitimated. Anyway, good luck for having to deal with Disney's lawyers...
I'll stop here.

So...
That lady was a member of Forza Nuova, a neofascist extraparlamentary party.
She was indeed running for Mayor of Budrio for Aurora Italiana, another neofascist civic list.

That "meeting" took place in Predappio, native town of Benito Mussolini, to celebrate the 1922 March on Rome, that basically handed the nation over to Mussolini.
Briefly put, the fascist party was already into the Parliament, but - being fascist - wanted to take action and take control of the nation, at the time governed by a coalition.
So, they organized this march, and went to Rome, where they stood in front of the King asking him to put them in charge, otherwise the would have raised an armed "revolution", taking the power anyway.
Of course, despite being 25.000, they would have been hopeless if faced by the regular Italian Army.
In any case, during the subsequent stall, the King faced various possibilities, and - probably advised by filofascist members of his entourage - finally decided to capitulate.
Mussolini was then put in charge of forming a new goverment, and obviously at the following election there was a plebiscite for the fascist party, due to the violence of the campaign, to killings of member of the opposition, and so on, that made impossible to vote against.

This part of Italian history shows once and again what unimaginable bunch of coward bastards the Savoia were.
Only concerned about a republican twist of the fascist armed revolution, they chose to remain at their place, sacrificing the Nation: this goes to show how, for Italy, the royal family came before the Nation and had to be protected before the Nation.
The Nation was a mean to make the family great.

I hope that this helps.
Writing this surely helped me.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#4 Re: Fascism
October 31, 2018, 03:17:18 pm
That’s a really helpful answer, thanks. You make a good point about being desensitised to hate speech; we have been letting that in here in the UK for years. The argument has been ‘to ensure balance’.

It starts with some anodyne whinging and becomes more strident until, much better established, it bares its teeth. By then it’s too late.

Thanks for the history lesson. We are in danger of crossing the rubicon again I feel.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#5 Re: Fascism
October 31, 2018, 03:36:16 pm
I’m glad I’m not the only angry one.

Impotent, but very angry.

Too civil, too long.

ghisino

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Fascism
October 31, 2018, 05:08:39 pm
concerning Italy and the royal family:
one should also consider that the process leading to the modern Italian nation was probably more of a colonial war led by the Piedmont kingdom, than a spontaneous movement.
It is not surprising then that the Savoia family didn't give a f*** about the Nation as we think about it today.

about the general topic: speaking of continental europe, one should consider how the leftist movement has changed in the 30 years going from '68 till '89. The defense of tye working class has gradually been replaced by the defense of oppressed social minorities, which by definition left the working-class majority (yes, majority!) alone!
(something similar, in a more subtle way, happened with middle classes and the "moderate right")

In this context, it's not surprising that other answers to the same questions are resuscitating...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal