UKBouldering.com

8a Recommendations in Yorkshire (Read 3668 times)

B0405413

• addict
8a Recommendations in Yorkshire
February 18, 2016, 11:14:51 am
Hi all, looking to try an 8a in Yorkshire this summer, preferably at somewhere where you can get partners easily (ie. Malham or Kilnsey, anyone know how easy it is to get partners for Gordale?). Preferably endurancy rather than bouldery, and not massively popular because I can only get there on weekends when the most popular ones will be rammed. Thanks in advance.

Andy F V2.0

• regular
#1 Re: 8a Recommendations in Yorkshire
February 18, 2016, 11:59:32 am
Malham - try the upper tier 8a's, Toadall Recall, NAT, Main Overhang (bouldery old skool crimping). Tend to be less busy than the popular stamina 8a's like Zoolook or Baboo/Straightened.

Kinsey - Soft Option or Cold Steal should fit the bill.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#2 Re: 8a Recommendations in Yorkshire
February 18, 2016, 12:07:26 pm
The Thumb at Kilnsey fits all those criteria

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#3 Re: 8a Recommendations in Yorkshire
February 18, 2016, 12:23:24 pm
The bulge seems pretty popular at the grade and is definitely endurance-y. 
Like the thumb it also covers some great ground (plus might be slightly easier)

IanP

• forum abuser
#4 Re: 8a Recommendations in Yorkshire
February 18, 2016, 02:05:50 pm
Hi all, looking to try an 8a in Yorkshire this summer

Malham - try the upper tier 8a's, Toadall Recall, NAT, Main Overhang (bouldery old skool crimping).

You predicting a rubbish summer weather wise Andy  :-\ (to OP Malham upper tier in the summer not usually the best bet).

B0405413

• addict
#5 Re: 8a Recommendations in Yorkshire
February 18, 2016, 04:19:14 pm
Cheers for the replies, much appreciated. The Thumb and Cold Steall sound like good candidates.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#6 Re: 8a Recommendations in Yorkshire
February 18, 2016, 04:59:43 pm
The Thumb is ace but it shares ground with five other routes so it's likely to be busy.
Try Last Action Hero at Kilnsey.

Andy F V2.0

• regular
#7 Re: 8a Recommendations in Yorkshire
February 18, 2016, 05:02:51 pm
Hi all, looking to try an 8a in Yorkshire this summer

Malham - try the upper tier 8a's, Toadall Recall, NAT, Main Overhang (bouldery old skool crimping).

You predicting a rubbish summer weather wise Andy  :-\ (to OP Malham upper tier in the summer not usually the best bet).

I'm predicating a usual summer i.e. Crap. So the upper tier may well be the only dry routes in the shire.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#8 Re: 8a Recommendations in Yorkshire
March 12, 2016, 11:32:25 pm
Hi all, looking to try an 8a in Yorkshire this summer ...Preferably endurancy rather than bouldery, and not massively popular because I can only get there on weekends when the most popular ones will be rammed. Thanks in advance.

sticky wickey - ashes link up. total endurance, not many people do it; as long as you don't mind doing a funny arbitrary link up.

Farnell, you are a nasty man. He asks for stam 8as, and you give him a 7c+, and two bouldery 8as which are good to do in the winter!

Andy F V2.0

• regular
#9 Re: 8a Recommendations in Yorkshire
March 12, 2016, 11:39:41 pm
Hi all, looking to try an 8a in Yorkshire this summer ...Preferably endurancy rather than bouldery, and not massively popular because I can only get there on weekends when the most popular ones will be rammed. Thanks in advance.

sticky wickey - ashes link up. total endurance, not many people do it; as long as you don't mind doing a funny arbitrary link up.

Farnell, you are a nasty man. He asks for stam 8as, and you give him a 7c+, and two bouldery 8as which are good to do in the winter!
Yes, I am nasty. But they are all good routes. And one of them is decent in spring.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal