UKBouldering.com

Ansteys situ draws split from NNFN thread (Read 15866 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Ansteys situ draws split from NNFN thread
February 04, 2016, 11:50:55 pm
I know that people can get worked up about our little world, but every time I read shit like this; I die a little.
How does this sort of rubbish advance any argument?

And frankly, the person he's threatening really doesn't deserve it.

But then, why be reasonable and achieve something, when you could be a twat and defeat your own purpose?

For ref:
I don't condone leaving draws in on a semi-permanent basis, for a wide ranging, long and fairly obvious list of reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Duma

• forum hero
Obvs the knee capping is over the top, and hyperbole, but that's three nine for you,  but how does whichever twat put the mallions in not deserve a chewing out? It appears you know them, but it's not really defensible is it?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
Perhaps I'm just old fashioned. I can accept that.

However, it's pretty clear from the ensuing furor that this proved a counterproductive approach.
I haven't been down over the winter, except to walk the dog; but I'm sure I would have taken a less confrontational approach.
If he'd simply asked who had left them, he would have been told and perhaps (had it been me) he would have ended up offering to help remove them.
Easy, perhaps, for me to say since it's less than 15 minutes walk for me.

There is never any call for threats like that.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Lets be quite clear that's not a threat at all, that's someone sounding off on someone else who is in the wrong.

Wood FT

• forum hero
It's over the top but his point is point is spot on

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
Ah, I see my point is missed.

Draws or no, we're you to speak to me like that on a closed group of limited membership, where all the members are at least nodding acquaintances (which he did) and where the circumstances might be easily ascertained with a civil question (which they were); rather than take the "Keyboard warrior" approach of idiotic vitriol and invective, then you would now be struggling to eat soup.

Just saying. Insert smiley to indicate that this is just a little humorous  repartee. [emoji13][emoji3][emoji4][emoji52][emoji58][emoji848]☹️*

*which it is by the way.
The essence of my point being that such language is idiotic and unacceptable. We are supposed to be evolved to a reasonable level of intelligence. I very much doubt Neter would have said any of those things to Jamie's face.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:38:33 am by Oldmanmatt »

a dense loner

• forum hero
That's what the nets for to say things that you daren't say in private to someone. For instance your reply Matt of "you would now be struggling to eat soup" is much more of a threat than the other guys rant. Your point wasn't missed by me, I just thought you were making a mountain out of a molehill

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero

That's what the nets for to say things that you daren't say in private to someone. For instance your reply Matt of "you would now be struggling to eat soup" is much more of a threat than the other guys rant. Your point wasn't missed by me, I just thought you were making a mountain out of a molehill

Do you ever read a whole post, or do you always get confused after the first paragraph?
Or is it just plain 'ol obtuse stubbornness that you ignore the (almost equally verbose) paragraph where I deliberately explain that the preceding paragraph was in fact ironic?

Sorry, but no, I don't agree that "that's what the Net is for". Neter / three nine is just plain unpleasant. An Oxbridge education doesn't entitle you to behave the way he does (you would hope it precluded it).

Your lack of sensitivity/empathy is both legendary, highly amusing and usually quite witty. It is rarely as crass and ill conceived  as Neter's tirades.

I write verbose and esoteric ramblings that wander around on strange elliptical orbits of my intended point, and that even irritates me on occasion.

Neter would make a Staffie walking, wife beater wearing, bling draped Chav blush and despair for humanity.

And I manage to say all that without swearing or threatening (even apocryphal) violence.

Draws left in at Anstey's - bad.
Vitriolic rant - worse.

How did you become so divorced from reality to even begin to condone such a thing?

If you heard a parent speaking like that to a child you would tut and wonder how much damage it would do.

If you heard some Chav screaming similar at some poor cashier in Tescos, you would feel pity for the target and wonder if perhaps you might need to call someone to help, or even interfere yourself.

And yet, we have become so inured to this shit, we think it's normal and ok.

I was an NCO in the Navy, I've been a ships captain and Chief Engineer and essentially spent my entire working life amongst some of the roughest, plain speaking people you could hope to meet. Hardly a shrinking violet, a fuse measured in Nanometers and I still find him offensive enough to actually publicly voice that disgust.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
it's not his fault, Matt

it's the microcephaly talking

Duma

• forum hero
Disagree matt. Comparing a rant online to in person is complete nonsense, and I can't believe you don't realise that, in fact it seems more likely to me that you're offended more as you know one of the selfish twats it was aimed at. And to be clear, in my opinion, leaving mallions (not draws that could be easily removed) in a route for several months is way worse than going a bit overboard when ranting about it online.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Yep to Duma, and I read all the post. What you've just said about 3-9 is far worse than his empty rant with obviously no malice in it. That's what I can see

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
No, I don't know any of them beyond a nod.

I stand by my opinion.

There is no such thing as an empty rant.

I'm sorry that you think there is, both of you.

Sorry that you think my disgust more offensive than idiotic vitriol.

That would be why I said it made me die a little.

Mumra

Why are you writing in broken
paragraphs
is it for
effect?

It seems like some idiot left perma draws in a route and he got called out
why are you getting
butt hurt
about
it

This
typing is
annoying isn't it
yet doesn't
convoy
fuck
all

maybe Jamie (?) should sort his shit out

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
[emoji1]

You really are new here ain't you.

Mumra

If it smells like bullshit.............

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero

If it smells like bullshit.............

Only after you arrived. [emoji13]

Oops, hang on...

Only

After

You

Arrived.

Mumra

I've always been
lurking

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
I think that permadraws at anstey's are a minor infraction; it's marginally less safe and can be annoying to someone projecting who wants the draws "just so", but this is no big deal. The crag is not very visible.

But leaving them in over the winter until the maillons seize is really crappy behaviour; it's either selfish, lazy or idiotic and definitely deserves calling out on the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duma

• forum hero
From the posts on fb the mallions on the lynch have been there over six months. If you leave your draws for a few days in between sessions its mildly annoying (I'm guessing this is what you meant by the phrase permadraws stu), mallions for any amount of time is not ok imo, and leaving shit there for months at a time is the actions of a selfish twat. It's not just annoying and a pain to remove, it's unsafe.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:33:00 am by Duma »

cha1n

• forum hero
I saw this post flash up on the Bristol fb group and whilst I agreed with the general message he was trying to convey (and found it vaguely amusing), he could have clearly handled the situation a bit better. It's the message that the 16 year old version of me would have posted.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
It's the message that the 16 year old version of me would have posted.
It would have been extremely mature for him.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
how do the zink plated Quicklinks fare after being hung off stainless bolt hangers for a while?

what sort of life do you get out of them?

chudders1

i have some knowledge of the FACTS and would be keen to add some to the discussion . the draws on lynch were put up to assist in the ascent of an age old project , allowing for maximum time on the climb at each visit. they were bought and paid for by the individual who posted their existence on ukc . susbsequently many people have used them and been pleased to do so . if someone feels the draws become unsafe then surely they dont use them , much like pegs on trad routes . the person in question has checked them regularly , greasing them to ensure removal would be swift. i was with the person on the last session there getting within an inch of his crux move just before a fall at a local climbing wall rendered his ankle damaged !! had this not happened the route would have been ticked and draws removed . this is not a major tourist attraction and the draws are not exactly detracting from the view so i see no reason why they caused such a fuss. can some one please explain the difference between perma draws on a sports route and tat on a trad route > thanks- any body who is interested in ACTAUL fact rather than malicious gossip/mud slinging please feel free to get in touch -- thanks for your time - much love

a dense loner

• forum hero
What's important about them facts? All you've said of consequence is he's broke his foot so they've been left in longer. Has he no friends to take them out? Is he a self belayer like godskins? Obviously if that's the way it's done down there then that's up to you guys but seems a bit selfish to me

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Maybe I am being dim, but what's the big crime in leaving maillon'ed draws on a sport route?

Safety issues related to damage to the tape and the crab is one thing and the other thing is that those that leave them don't respect that a good proportion of other people find them unsightly or incongruous.

I could put it in stronger terms.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal