UKBouldering.com

UKB Power Club week 308 11th Jan - 17th Jan 2016 (Read 17254 times)

AJM

• obsessive maniac
sa - Brean down..... Two tie ins on Tide Rising at the end of the day, soft 7c imo.......pretty soft grades

So the 7b+ there is actually 7c but the grades are pretty soft eh...?  ;)

If the move to the sidepull from the pinch was troubling you that might explain it - most people I can remember seeing on it tend to find moving off that sidepull the redpoint crux. Really pulling in with tje feet makes the move to the sidepull a lot easier. I thought it was mid-hard 7b+ when I did it. There's certainly as hard or harder local ones out there

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I'm definitely a weakling (“hálfdrættingur”, why the Icelandic?) on most benchmarks listed http://www.stevemaischtraining.com/the-economics-of-training.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:32:44 am by jwi »

Wood FT

• forum hero
sa - Brean down..... Two tie ins on Tide Rising at the end of the day, soft 7c imo.......pretty soft grades

So the 7b+ there is actually 7c but the grades are pretty soft eh...?  ;)

If the move to the sidepull from the pinch was troubling you that might explain it - most people I can remember seeing on it tend to find moving off that sidepull the redpoint crux. Really pulling in with tje feet makes the move to the sidepull a lot easier. I thought it was mid-hard 7b+ when I did it. There's certainly as hard or harder local ones out there

Aha you've got me there guv', I was going off the comment on the ukc description 'Generally thought to be F7c now'

Yes that's the move, left heel to rock up to pinch then outside RF onto big foot, flick up into sidepull. Feels harder than Stone the Loach for example, though it is January. Looking forward to getting back, Storm Warning looks really good.

filz

• addict
Mon: Some weights and tabata. Felt pain in my right shoulder during the training, so I decided to rest from training for the rest of week.

Tue - Fri: nothing

Sat: Sport climbing. Bad sensations. My skin was too dry  and I felt like I couldn't hold even from jugs. Not a good day.

Sun: Bouldering. Same as Saturday. Couldn't even do the single moves I did a few weeks ago :shrug: .
Also the birthday party of a friend saturday night probably didn't help  ;D ...
Unsatisfied from the climbing day back home I did some fingerboarding and added 2kg to crimps  :dance1:

It was an odd week. I finally got back on rock. I felt quite strong, at least on saturday, but I climbed badly. Let's see if this week things improve.

Schnell

• menacing presence
I was using hold 8 here .... haven't measured the depth, perhaps more than 25mm?

Does anyone know what depth the lower crimps (hold 10) are? More specifically though is there any consensus about what sort of normal, non bevelled edge size they'd translate to? I'm trying to figure out how they compare to the 18mm depth that Maisch gives as a standard for half crimping.

dave

I think the BM hold 10 is probably about half inch in depth, so about 12 or 13mm, and very rounded.

18mm depth is a small campus rung kinda size I think.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Tricky to decide how much of the radiusing to count.

The small edge on my BM1000 (some say the one on the 2000 is slightly bigger - ha ha weaklings  :tease:) is 8mm to the start of the radius and 15mm total depth from the surface of the board. A small campus rung, for comparison, is 14 & 18 respectively.

Maisch might even be thinking of a medium campus rung, which is 18 & 24mm.

filz

• addict
I was using hold 8 here .... haven't measured the depth, perhaps more than 25mm?

Does anyone know what depth the lower crimps (hold 10) are? More specifically though is there any consensus about what sort of normal, non bevelled edge size they'd translate to? I'm trying to figure out how they compare to the 18mm depth that Maisch gives as a standard for half crimping.

I measured them in the past and if I remember correctly they are 20mm or even more to the edge of the board.
But being very rounded they are IMHO difficult to compare to non bevelled edges.

I'll check this evening.

Dolly

• forum hero
M Foundry Furnace board. I asked the legend that is John Welford if he could show me one of his warm ups as I thought that would be a good project for me.
I did it in 2 overlapping halves but couldn't do the whole thing. Then he told me it had taken him 4 sessions to complete. Sandbagged I was
T Foundry foot on campussing
W
T Shed power
F Gym core and some Bulgarian bagging and Kettle belling. Think I overdid it a bit
S Ached loads
S Shed again as the snow prevented any play outside

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I think the BM hold 10 is probably about half inch in depth, so about 12 or 13mm, and very rounded.

18mm depth is a small campus rung kinda size I think.

If you want a semi-quantitative comparison.  With the same added weight, I can hang the BM2000 small crimps for very slightly longer than the 12mm edge on a Lopez "Transgression" board, but not for as long as the 14mm edge (the Transgression edges are not as rounded as the BM but the plastic is a little slippy - especially after I rather too aggressively "comfortised" them with sandpaper!).

AJM

• obsessive maniac
Aha you've got me there guv', I was going off the comment on the ukc description 'Generally thought to be F7c now'

Yes that's the move, left heel to rock up to pinch then outside RF onto big foot, flick up into sidepull. Feels harder than Stone the Loach for example, though it is January. Looking forward to getting back, Storm Warning looks really good.

I don't recall a heel to get to the pinch, but I definitely recall a right toe face on which let's you pull in and make the move to the sidepull pretty casual. I've heard lots of people argue it's 7c, potentially because they find it harder than the 7cs there and suggesting TR for the upgrade is better for the ego. Brean grading can be quite broken at times but its a nice crag. Better before people outside Bristol went there though ;) the crowds definitely arrived with the rockfax.

Storm warning is good, although my recommendation would be the variation, if its your grade (7c+, probably, with sw at 7c). Brean Topping has claimed the "straight up from the SW start" line so its written up as a locals eliminate but actually the moves are really good and its a relatively obvious line to take and you miss the gigantic rest on storm warning which breaks it up somewhat. I tried it a lot when I lived nearby and would still like to get back to finish it off

filz

• addict

I measured them in the past and if I remember correctly they are 20mm or even more to the edge of the board.
But being very rounded they are IMHO difficult to compare to non bevelled edges.

I'll check this evening.
And I was wrong. Number 10 are 15mm, 12 are 20mm and 8 are 30mm.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 7 utilizzando Tapatalk

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
And I was wrong. Number 10 are 15mm

15mm total, but nearly half of that is radiused.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Oh right. I use 12 for middle two hangs.

Have you tried the "8"? Do you think with the bigger hold your middle2 performance would be significantly closer to your half-crimp performance?

(The "8" is about 30mm deep in total, but only about 25mm to where the bevel starts, so roughly in line with Steve Maisch's benchmark for middle2.)

Sounds about right. I can hang about the same amount of weight middle two on the deep (2 pad) pocket as I can with all four on a single pad edge.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
M - 5/3/1 Week 2 Squats and Max Hangs
T - 5/3/1 Week 2 OH Press, Routes at Wall
W - 30Min Bike
T - Moonboard and Max Hangs(lopez)
F - 5/3/1 Week 3 Bench, 90 min snow bike
S - Routes at Wall, Light weights - Felt worked
S - Soccer

Feeling pretty beat on Saturday and Sunday.  Starting to feel better now. 

Wood FT

• forum hero

I don't recall a heel to get to the pinch, but I definitely recall a right toe face on which let's you pull in and make the move to the sidepull pretty casual. I've heard lots of people argue it's 7c, potentially because they find it harder than the 7cs there and suggesting TR for the upgrade is better for the ego. Brean grading can be quite broken at times but its a nice crag. Better before people outside Bristol went there though ;) the crowds definitely arrived with the rockfax.

Storm warning is good, although my recommendation would be the variation, if its your grade (7c+, probably, with sw at 7c). Brean Topping has claimed the "straight up from the SW start" line so its written up as a locals eliminate but actually the moves are really good and its a relatively obvious line to take and you miss the gigantic rest on storm warning which breaks it up somewhat. I tried it a lot when I lived nearby and would still like to get back to finish it off

Thanks for the beta, i'll hopefully be down again in a few weeks. Let me know if you'd like to get back on SW variation again sometime

Hugh

• regular
STG: 7B. More grit sessions.
MTG: Don't get broken.

Mon: 4x4s at TCA (I think)
Tues: Max hangs, improving, 7s on at +20kg on 16mm
Wed: TCA, woody. Good session, felt strong. Burned Three Nine off again :P
Thu: Quick swim.
Fri: Very quick TCA session pootling round the 6c-7b set.
Sat: 5km run.
Sun: Max hangs, as per Tues. Getting ill :(

Decent week, currently being undone by being annoyingly ill.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I'm definitely a weakling (“hálfdrættingur”, why the Icelandic?) on most benchmarks listed http://www.stevemaischtraining.com/the-economics-of-training.html

Yeah, I found that terminology exceptionally irritating when I first read the article a few months ago. But having come back to it recently, and read about the mad Icelandic stone lifting tradition from where it is sourced, I forgive him. I suppose he was trying to not write "5.14 climber" or whatever.

Most 5.14- climbers that actually can climb are weaklings on most of those test I'd wager... I would pay good money to see a 9a climber I know dead hang an 18 mm edge with 50% of body weight dangling below him using the half crimp...

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber

Yeah, I found that terminology exceptionally irritating when I first read the article a few months ago. But having come back to it recently, and read about the mad Icelandic stone lifting tradition from where it is sourced, I forgive him. I suppose he was trying to not write "5.14 climber" or whatever.

Most 5.14- climbers that actually can climb are weaklings on most of those test I'd wager... I would pay good money to see a 9a climber I know dead hang an 18 mm edge with 50% of body weight dangling below him using the half crimp...

Hmmm.  I'd have the opposite reaction to that one.  I'd bet even barrows could do that....

On the finger and pull strength, I'd guess most are of them are there, it's the pressing ones that seem way off to me. 

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Interesting. I think if I added half-bodyweight then tried to hang middle2 I would end up with hearing loss from all my forearm tendons exploding ...

A predicament I don't expect to have to face for quite some time.

JackAus

• junky
STG: More V8s. Consistent sub 75kg.
MTG: V9.
LTG: V11. Fear Factory List. 7/10 done.

M: St Leonards.
T: St Leonards. Usual new shit. Couple fucking hard days at work, counts for Sharkathon.
W: Work.
T: Work.
F: St Leonards.
S: Theraband.
S: Lindfield. 26 problems in about an hour. Good crimping. Good finger work out.

Been hot as this week. Rubbish for outdoors.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal