UKBouldering.com

UKB Power Club week 292 14th Sept - 20th Sept 2015 (Read 19564 times)

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
Late as usual. Last couple of weeks have been work heavy (and I'm beginning to loath being there). On the other hand its motivating me to knuckle down and keep the grad job applications going.

LTG 8A 8b

M.
T.
W. Wall. Max hangs routine. Last few sessions have been without assistance from pulley/sling. This time I was feeling good so added 5kg. CWP style on beastmaker 2000 central incut hold with 5kg in the other hand. Fuck yeah!  :strongbench: Felt good to pull really hard. 70 press-ups of various style and some core exercise (leg raises, crunches) plus one new problem on the board.
T.
F. Wall. 30mins on 40 degree. Floor based core exercises and press-ups. Short session before work - motivation high, spare time low!
S.
S. Wall. Max hangs unassisted. Some more floor based core work and press-ups.

Out of curiousity, when you say "wall" what does that mean? 

And it seems like you're fairly pressed for time, so is the FB the quickest solution to maintain strength in the sort term?

Reason I ask is that finger strength wouldn't appear to me to be your #1 weakness if you are aiming for 8A and can already one-arm ang the beastmaker slot with +5kg.  If it's short term to maintain, then that's all well and good.  If it's planned training, then I'd say you should reassess to see if you have other limiting factors...  Not that you asked, but this is Powerclub...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Trying to redpoint your hardest route in shit conditions ain't good.

Even worse is when you reach a high-point in shit conditions when tired, go back  in primo conditions, well rested and highly psyched, and spend an entire session falling off inexplicably early! 

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
Hi Sasq, always glad to hear other people's thoughts and advice so thanks. 'Wall' is just me saying I went to the climbing wall, as opposed to having a session at home or outside!

I had been working on PE and some endurance to try and achieve a goal I had this summer, to redpoint 8a (which I eventually managed). However I felt as though I lost a bit of strength during this phase (which lasted about 6-7 weeks), since then I have been working strength again using mainly one arm hangs to get back to how I felt previously. I feel like I'm making good progress in pure strength terms, but translating that to climbing gains is a different game!

I think you're right. The reason I haven't climbed 8A is not down to finger strength, there are numerous other factors - the main one being having never tried one before!  :-\

I feel a bit in limbo at the moment, I've suddenly lost direction. I had long term goals of redpointing 8a, bouldering 7C, campussing 1 4 7 (with quite specific routes/problems in mind),  all of which I have done now and have been left not really knowing what step to take next in terms of training. This has drawn me to return to the CWP stuff, as its familiar and has worked for me before.

My next step in terms of climbing performance is probably to just get out more and try things. My new goals are just arbitrary numbers. I think I need to be more specific and get some projects.

Strong but shit, that's me at the moment  ;)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
I would still go even if hot.
You can a) improve both physically and mentally from climbing in less than perfect conditions, then succeed as soon as it gets fresher; b) climb the route nonetheless.

c) trash your skin so that forthcoming attempts in good connies are sub par and painful
d) injure yourself greasing off holds

Frustrating waiting but a very disciplined effort staying away I reckon, hope it reaps rewards.

I gave it quite a lot of thought. It wasnt less than perfect conditions - it was rubbish on tuesday and even likelier to be so tomorrow.

The sun doesn't go off the route till about 3.30pm or maybe even later now with the sun being lower in the sky. As we had arrived at about Noon expecting it to be cloudy meant I had to wait over 3 hours for it to go in the shade whih is highly frustrating. Also it now gets dark at 7.30pm leaving a 4 hour window to get on the route. Even in the shade the rock was still really warm. Factor in the 3.5 hour round trip in the car and all that goes with making a day free makes it all harder to justify.

Also just going on a project and resting for the next go on the project you end up getting weaker so strategically a few days out to top up power and finger strength is a good strategy in its own right - especially as I have just scored some all time absolute (and relative to body weight) deadhang PBs this evening  ;D
Brilliant! It makes sense, but I love the act of charging headlessly like a raging bull with no outcome, just for the sake of it.
It's always brought great results for me on ze rock.
 :whistle:

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
My next step in terms of climbing performance is probably to just get out more and try things. My new goals are just arbitrary numbers. I think I need to be more specific and get some projects.

I'm pretty sure all goals are just arbitrary numbers :)

Why not go for 1-5-8 if its still tough to get outside and get on harder stuff?  How are you at levers?

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
I can hold a good front lever for 6-8s, whether that's on a small edge or a bar. Worked up to that for a few months but not progressed it any further.

My training consists of varying phases of FB, campus board and 40 degree training board. I will work PE when I've got a sport trip/goals like I did earlier this year. I've also been adding in more and more antagonist stuff too, pressups, theraband stuff, wrist curls, but these I do generally all the time.

Maybe time to hit the campus board again and see if I can progress to 1 5 8.

Anybody feel free to point out any glaring omissions that are missing for someone looking to be bouldering in 8s.

Charlie

36chambers

• forum hero

Anybody feel free to point out any glaring omissions that are missing for someone looking to be bouldering in 8s.

From having climbed with you once (or twice?) and comparing our relative hanging/campusing abilities, I can only conclude that the only thing you appear to be missing is actually getting on hard problems :)

a dense loner

• forum hero
Yep no matter how strong or talented someone is they're not going to do something they don't try.

tomtom

• forum hero
A strong bit of Dense Sense (tm) there...

petejh

• forum hero
I can hold a good front lever for 6-8s, whether that's on a small edge or a bar. Worked up to that for a few months but not progressed it any further.

My training consists of varying phases of FB, campus board and 40 degree training board. I will work PE when I've got a sport trip/goals like I did earlier this year. I've also been adding in more and more antagonist stuff too, pressups, theraband stuff, wrist curls, but these I do generally all the time.

Maybe time to hit the campus board again and see if I can progress to 1 5 8.

Charlie

Not trying any is the most glaring.

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
New goals:
STG try some 8As
LTG do an 8A

Thanks fellas, reckon I got this  :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal