UKBouldering.com

British Bouldering Championship 2015 this weekend in Sheffield at Cliffhanger (Read 70591 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/british-bouldering-championships-2015

The BMC British Bouldering Championships is back in the park at the Cliffhanger Outdoor Festival, Millhouses Park, Sheffield on 11-12 July. It will be a senior-only, IFSC Boulder World Cup style event spread over Saturday and Sunday.

The British Bouldering Championships (BBC) is organised by the BMC and is the national championships in the UK. Since its inception in 1998, it has grown to be a very popular event. It now also forms part of the selection process for the Senior British Bouldering Team.

The Senior Bouldering Team are supported by the Arch Climbing Wall.

Format for 2015
This years event is a IFSC Boulder World Cup style event, with qualifiers on Saturday (11) and Semi-Finals and Finals on Sunday (12). This is a senior category only event and entrants must be born in 1999 or before.

When:
Saturday 11 July - Qualifiers, Sunday 12 July - Semi's & Finals

Where:
Cliffhanger Outdoor Festival, Millhouses Park, Sheffield

2015 age categories:

Seniors must be born in 1999 or before.

Male category - 60 competitors maximum, female - 60 competitors maximum.

Please note - on the day entries are available, but with a maximum number of 60 competitors in the male category , it likely that the male category will be full well in advance of the deadline for entries, so enter early.

Competition format:

A Qualification round with 5 boulders for each category - 5 mins on, 5 mins off.

A Semi-Final round with 4 boulders for each category - 5 mins on, 5 mins off.

A Final round with 4 boulders for each category - 4 mins +.

Qualification and Semi-Final rounds will be climbed onsight, and there will be an observatyion period for the Final round with isolation used throughout.

Approximate grades of problems: Senior female V3-V8/V5-V8, Senior male V4-V9/V7-V10.
Competition timings:

Saturday 11 July

Splitting the males into two groups and starting order for qualification will be derived from the 2014 BBC rankings and then at random (if you have not competed in the BBC's before) and will be posted online on Friday evening.

0900: Male registration/isolation opens

1000: Male registration/isolation closes
1015: Male qualification begins – 2 groups – 5 blocs – 5min on, 5 min off
1330: Male qualification finishes

1330: Female registration/isolation opens
1430: Female registration/isolation closes
1445: Female qualification begins – 1 group – 5 blocs – 5min on, 5 min off
1730: Qualification finishes

Sunday 12 July

0900: Isolation for semi-finalists opens
1000: Isolation for semi-finalists closes
1030: Semi Final begins – 4 blocs – 5 min on, 5 min off
1245: Semi Final Finishes

1330: Isolation opens
1430: Isolation closes
1520: Presentation of finalists and observation period
1530: Final begins - 4 blocs, 4mins plus
1730: Final finishes
1745: Prize giving

This timetable is subject to change at any time.

Entry fee
•Senior competitors: £30.00

Prizes
• Senior female & male: 1st = £500 / 2nd = £250 / 3rd = £125

The 2014 national champions

Senior Male: Dave Barrans
Senior Female: Michaela Tracey
Full rules available here.

How to enter
• All competitors must be a BMC, MCofS or MCI member.
• Parental consent must be given for any competitor aged under 18 years on the day of the event - the parental consent form can be downloaded in the entry process.
• All applicants will receive an email confirming receipt of their application. They will then receive a further email containing full event information two days before the event.

Enter online here

Spectator tickets
Please note that each competitor will get a complimentary spectator ticket with their entry. Further specator tickets can be purchased here. Note if you wish spectators to accompany you into the the park before the show starts they must by tickets in advance.

BMC members can save up to a third off your Cliffhanger ticket with the code BMC33.  Adult tickets £4 (regular price £6) - offer expires midnight 26/6/15. You can still get in for £5 if you book online right through the festival weekend. Offer does not apply to ticket purchases on the gate.

Startlists
Male Category startlist will be posted here on the 10 July.

Female Category startlist will be posted here on the 10 July.

Please note that emails do not always reach their destination, it is therefore your responsibility to contact the BMC if email confirmation has not been received by Friday 10 July.

Further information
Contact Rob Adie (BMC Competition Climbing Officer) tel: 0161 438 3318 / email: rob@thebmc.co.uk

The BBC problems are set with Entre-Prises climbing holds. Entre-Prises are the official supplier of bolt-on holds to the BMC.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Any plans to broadcast the event?

tomtom

• forum hero
UKB-TV!! That's what we need :)

a dense loner

• forum hero

tomtom

• forum hero
Like fuck

You could have an agony aunt style help show called 'Dense Sense'. It's a winner.

;)

webbo

• forum hero
I would of thought you'd be the man for the job, given your duet with Peter Leavy on Look North.

T_B

• forum hero
Last ditch effort to promote this?! The BMC is pumping money into this event, yet has made no effort in promoting it via social media. It's almost conspicuous by its absence from either their main twitter account of the comps one. One news items on their website on 17 June. Seems a bit weird/incompetent, given the interest in comp bouldering and the fact that Shauna's in it (wasn't last year)?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:10:02 am by T_B »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
and the fact that Shauna's in it

"Cliffhanger comp this weekend - Shauna's in it"

tweet that

job done

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
maybe add

"meet Dense, let him hear you whine"

to attract aspirant 7C trainees

a dense loner

• forum hero
Yes I wouldn't have known there was a cliffhanger comp on if I didn't see Percy spraying panels. Whoever deals with media or whatever you want to call it at the bmc needs to be sacked, it's supposed to be the biggest British comp in the calendar.

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
... along with whoever used a word art banner for that poster...

dave

Is there some kind of conflict-of-interest thing here that prevents the BMC actively pushing this, based on the fact its happening at the paid-entry Heason-run Cliffhanger event? I.e. you've got to pay to get in to a trade show to watch it. I.e. would amount to a members organization, partially funded by public money, promoting an event to the effect of lining the pockets of a private promoter? I have no idea if this is the reasoning, but its a possibility.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Is there some kind of conflict-of-interest thing here that prevents the BMC actively pushing this, based on the fact its happening at the paid-entry Heason-run Cliffhanger event? I.e. you've got to pay to get in to a trade show to watch it. I.e. would amount to a members organization, partially funded by public money, promoting an event to the effect of lining the pockets of a private promoter? I have no idea if this is the reasoning, but its a possibility.

It hasn't stopped them promoting, via Twitter and Facebook, an Alpine race organised for the sole purpose of selling a cough-mixture tasting 'energy' (ie unhealthy) drink made by a company with a poor track record when it comes to the environmental impact of their stunts. Come on BMC, you can do better than this.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Is there some kind of conflict-of-interest thing here that prevents the BMC actively pushing this

I think that's pretty unlikely. More likely they assumed Cliffhanger would be doing sufficient promotion, it being the major attraction at the event which presumably needs to be a success to continue. Maybe I'm just getting blind to it, but I haven't noticed as much promotion for Cliffhanger this year.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
It's getting coverage on Facebook

T_B

• forum hero
Maybe I'm just getting blind to it, but I haven't noticed as much promotion for Cliffhanger this year.

I'm the opposite, I notice the small billboards everywhere. I suppose I do live 100m from the park though. I doubt there's any big conspiracy and the BMC are extremely good at promotion/social media generally, I would say. Which is why I noticed there's been virtually zero promotion of the comp.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 01:59:36 pm by T_B »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

I emailed Rob Adie to ask and he simply replied "No we are not webcasting the BBC’s this year"

No explanation why

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

I emailed Rob Adie to ask and he simply replied "No we are not webcasting the BBC’s this year"

No explanation why

Cost.

dave

Is there some kind of conflict-of-interest thing here that prevents the BMC actively pushing this

I think that's pretty unlikely. More likely they assumed Cliffhanger would be doing sufficient promotion, it being the major attraction at the event which presumably needs to be a success to continue. Maybe I'm just getting blind to it, but I haven't noticed as much promotion for Cliffhanger this year.

I must admit I've not noticed much this year either, but like you I've probably tuned out to them. The same way I've tuned out to adverts at the start of youtube clips. It is a bit odd if other folk are noticing a lack of promotion too, as Matt Heason is usually on the ball with publicity, if the number plugs he'd squeeze into every BMC peak area meeting is anything to go by.

tomtom

• forum hero

No explanation why

Could someone periscope it instead? Its pretty cool for impromptu live streaming...

tim palmer

• forum abuser
Am I wrong in thinking that this is pretty par for the course though?
There seems to be very little interest in these comps and very little support/organisation from the BMC, especially for the men's comps.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
There seems to be very little interest in these comps and very little support/organisation from the BMC, especially for the men's comps.

Now, if it were a HILLWALKING competition...

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
Just thought I would chime in to say that I haven't seen anything about it either.

I'm pretty keen to go along and watch really, and if I hadn't seen it on here, then I wouldn't have been any the wiser...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass

Now, if it were a HILLWALKING competition...

what would the senior age point be?

I'd be keen

Duma

• forum hero
Anyone know any qualifying results?

Edit: see below...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 06:39:45 pm by Duma »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal