UKBouldering.com

Ticks (the biting sort..) (Read 18907 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 02:03:16 pm
Euch - just pulled three off my feet/legs (and I found one last night) after my trip to Warton yesterday. That'll teach me not to wear longs on the walk in.. The one I got last night was about 2mm - but the three that obviously escaped my attention yesterday (despite a brief look) were all tiny - about 1mm or so in body diameter. Still stuck in and guzzling though...

Watch out folks - tis the season... :(

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 03:13:58 pm
Always carry an O'tom tick hook (other tick hooks are available) the only way to remove them as safely and effectively as possible.

Do not use Vaseline, burning, alcohol swabs, etc etc. And thoroughly disinfect your hands and the hook afterwards.

Lyme's is awful, a friend has been suffering for years.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 03:23:50 pm
These little blighters were tiny - had to nip em off with some tweezers.. bastards..

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 03:45:27 pm
I hope you left nothing behind! the smallest hook should get even the tiniest tick. if not, you should pull, not twist.

Good info here

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/about-ticks/tick-removal/

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#4 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 03:50:43 pm
Lyme's is awful, a friend has been suffering for years.

True, it's really bloody horrible.  An acquaintance of mine had a severe bout (for a while he was thought to have a life-threatening case of Tick Borne Encephalitis, but that was a very bad reaction to the initial drug treatment).  The acute initial phase was horrendous enough, but for the years afterwards he has had periodic periods of being weak and tired with various immune system problems (reminiscent of a Chronic Fatigue style disorder).

SA Chris

• forum hero

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 03:58:18 pm

I hope you left nothing behind! the smallest hook should get even the tiniest tick. if not, you should pull, not twist.

Good info here

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/about-ticks/tick-removal/

Don't think so. Was quick pull.. One was still alive when done... Read up on it now so I'll keep an eye for any rashes etc.. (I know Lymes doesn't always have to have a rash..)

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#8 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 04:18:03 pm
I got two in Cornwall last weekend- only found them when I got home. No idea how long they were attached but could have been as long as 48 hours.

The websites freaked me out about removal so much that I went to the NHS drop-in centre to get them removed (I now have a credit card-sized removal tool)-they were both still alive and the nurse didn't seem worried. I don't have a rash and I feel fine so hopefully I'm OK.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 04:40:14 pm

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#10 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 05:06:27 pm
I have the absolute fear of these things. Somehow, I've managed to ever avoid getting one despite endless days thrashing through heather and almost living at Silverdale for a period of time.

I read somebody talking about wearing trackster type trousers for fell running the other day. Don't want to look like an ironic hipster idiot but is this a strong method for avoidance?

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 05:09:44 pm
Yup. Tucked into your socks for ultimate protection.

I wore shorts :)

galpinos

• forum hero
#12 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 05:10:53 pm
I read somebody talking about wearing trackster type trousers for fell running the other day. Don't want to look like an ironic hipster idiot but is this a strong method for avoidance?

Some light tights and scree gaiter would protect. Having never having been bitten, I got in excessof 40* on my legs after last years highlander MM depite my running partner having none.

* My wife stopped counting. All alive-ish after removal with some tweezers, quite a surprising variety in size! I proceeded to boil and then micowave them.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#13 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 05:23:06 pm
I grew up on the edge of Dartmoor and am not exaggerating when I say I've taken dozens (maybe 100+) from my legs and one off my wanger.  My mate's little brother had one take up residence IN his ear. I've never caught it, neither have any of my friends.  I think it's over hyped, but recognise that it's a complete pisser when you do get.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#14 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 06:15:27 pm
You should have said you got them at crag x tomtom! They'll be the only ones you leave with  ;)

fried

• forum hero
#15 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 06:16:21 pm
Touch wood, I've never had one despite a good few years of bashing around the forest. my missus reckons they don't like the high-alcohol content of my blood...Mossies love it on the other hand.

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 06:36:46 pm
You should have said you got them at crag x tomtom! They'll be the only ones you leave with  ;)

:D Indeed - and the ones I now brush off..

Paul B

• forum hero
#17 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 08:21:21 pm
The only memory I have of getting a tick was when visiting Fairhead a while ago. My tour guide for the week was shrieking for me to bring him tweezers (he was in the shower) as he found a large tick resident in-between his legs!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#18 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 06, 2015, 11:04:28 pm
I proceeded to boil and then microwave them.

Nice on a bed of rice?

galpinos

• forum hero
#19 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 07, 2015, 08:20:50 am

Nice on a bed of rice?

I just didn't know what to do with them, I had this Tupperware full of ticks crawling about and didn't fancy them having another crack at my, or the family's legs.

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 07, 2015, 08:34:17 am

Nice on a bed of rice?

If you get mature ones they give a dish a full some iron tasting flavour...

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
#21 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 07, 2015, 08:47:54 am
I live in the South Lakes and the ticks are definitely out in force this year!

tomtom

• forum hero
#22 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 07, 2015, 09:01:03 am
I live in the South Lakes and the ticks are definitely out in force this year!

In my 45 years I've previously had one (that was on me and didnt bite) from my Mid Wales garden back yonder... and 4 on Sunday!! Though my shorts rarely make an outing so thats probably a factor :)

More sherioushly, one of the blokes I work with in Australia likes to go bushwalking at the WE (long enduro type things) and he had Lyme disease last year... only diagnosed because his sister is a GP and when he was back in QL for family Xmas she spotted a load of the (quite hard to spot) symptoms and got his bloodwork done..

Never heard of anyone in the UK getting it in the UK - but according to the WWW its been around since at least neolithic times.. (I'll guess they found some tic remains with traces of the bacteria there etc..)

dave

#23 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 07, 2015, 09:07:01 am
A mate of mine got Lymes from a tick when we was climbing in Sweden. Laid him up pretty bad for a while.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#24 Re: Ticks (the biting sort..)
July 07, 2015, 09:16:02 am
I've had loads of ticks, one on font (Rocher fin), all the rest from Scotland. I tend to get them when other don't, which I put down to wandering off path more (taking photos usually), but then midges love me too. Nemo on here has had a bad do with Lyme's over the last ten+ years. Take it seriously.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal