UKBouldering.com

Ticks at Bathford (Read 4787 times)

Three Nine

• forum hero
Ticks at Bathford
July 04, 2007, 04:59:35 pm
ok so i went there yesterday and got a tick.

i removed it intact and everything, but now im fretting loads im going to get Lyme disease and be ill for a year etc. etc.

Anyone got a tick at Bathford able to tell me that they're still ok and they didnt get it?! im a bit of a worrier and feeling really sketched out about it.

Btw. i know to watch out for rashes and stuff, nothing so far. just really petrified as i know the ticks in the Bath area do carry the disease...

reassure me please someone!!

Three Nine

• forum hero
#1 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 04, 2007, 05:00:50 pm
btw. i thought Bathford was absolutely terrible... but that might just be the tick fucking with my psyche..

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 04, 2007, 05:07:54 pm
Well it's kind of an esoteric venue ;)

simply seeing a tick somewhere on your body does not mean that you have contracted Lyme disease. Unfortunately, not everyone knows when they have been bitten, so consult your GP if you detect the following symptoms.

* A red spot around the location of the tick's bite. The spot will gradually grow bigger, often with a pale area in the middle. This symptom is called erythema migrans.
    * Erythema migrans can also appear at other places on the body where the tick has not bitten. Some people get many red spots.
    * Usually one to four weeks will pass between the bite and when erythema migrans appears.

Some patients with Lyme disease feel like they have caught influenza - the symptoms may be:
    * drowsiness
    * headaches
    * mild fever
    * joint and muscle pains
    * swollen lymph glands.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 04, 2007, 05:08:44 pm
there is a good reason why I've never been to bathford....
and I've been to some shit venues in my time

dave

#4 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 04, 2007, 06:06:06 pm
remember to keep the tick somewhere safe so that if god forbid you do get lymes disease they can run tests on the tick to see exactly what shit it was carrying. If you got it off early (i.e. before it'd fed, swolen up etc) then i don't think theres owt to worry about.

andy_e

• forum hero
#5 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 04, 2007, 06:48:27 pm
I've received at least 30 tick-bites in the past three weeks, they're not as bad as everyone makes them out to be, IMHO.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 05, 2007, 08:02:15 am
No, i think you are peretty unlucky to catch anything. Those hooks are worth investing in though.

Three Nine, i'm sorry you didn't like Bathford, why not choose one of the other venues around Bristol / Bath to go to next time?

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#7 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 05, 2007, 09:08:07 am
I was told that it takes about 24-36 hours of contact to contract Lymmes disease from a tick, so if you got it off you fairly sharpish you should be fine. Unless, of course, if I was told wrong?

ben

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 05, 2007, 11:37:38 am
reckon i've had at least 15 ticks from Bathford.. and I'm still here so you'll be fine. Just keep an eye on the bite.  It's not exactly Caley but there aint a lot else around..  did you get my PM re BF?

dave

#9 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 05, 2007, 12:11:56 pm
I was told that it takes about 24-36 hours of contact to contract Lymmes disease from a tick, so if you got it off you fairly sharpish you should be fine. Unless, of course, if I was told wrong?

thats probably true. also after a tick bite you need to wait at least 30days before you are probably "all clear" becasue the disease can aften take 30 days to manifest itself. So when andi-e brags about having 30 tick bites in the last 3 weeks, theres still time yet. Fingers crossed (For andi obviously, not the ticks).

a dense loner

• forum hero
#10 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 05, 2007, 07:35:57 pm
reckon i've had at least 15 ticks from Bathford

best day ever?

Three Nine

• forum hero
#11 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 05, 2007, 08:19:52 pm
Cheers guys, and thanks for the peeps who pmed me. I am slightly more composed about it now, got the tick off whole no more than two hours after it latching on so think i will probably live...

Thought the only bit which was any good was Mike's boulder (?). but i think the very limited bouldering at Sea walls is probably better.

Do people rate Winterbourne(?), as that's not too far away and some of the pics look reasonable.

Mark

erm, sam

• forum hero
#12 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 05, 2007, 08:50:44 pm
My little girl had a tick on her that I don't think could have been on for more than 12 hours and she developed the red spot thing about a week later. The red patch was definatly noticeable and grew untill it was 5 or 6 cm across. It had no pale centre, though the German doctor we saw agreed that normally it would have.
We got some antibiotics perscribed and very soon after taking these the spot went away and everything is fine. My understanding is that long as you get treatment soon after the blotch is visible you will be fine.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#13 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 06, 2007, 08:28:28 am
Do people rate Winterbourne(?), as that's not too far away and some of the pics look reasonable.

I lived 10 minutes away (in Yate) for 3 months and went and looked once. It was filthy and looked shit, but may be in a better state now bouldering has become a bit more popular.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 06, 2007, 09:16:36 am
bathford - check out the other boulders i suggested and please don't compare it to seawalls bouldering.. at least it's in a pleasant bit of woodland

winterbourne - 5mins from my work. good in the summer, green and dirty in the winter. nothing steep so limited potential but there's enough problems for a lunchtime circuit

dense - it just doesn't get any better..

Timatron

#15 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 06, 2007, 01:53:48 pm
Seriously, you've had it easy!  Years back when I went to Bathford, I got home, jumped in the shower, and found two of the b*stards making themselves comfortable on my nuts!!!

It's definitely a place to go on a dry day in winter.  The place is less like Da Nang, you get more light because of less leaf coverage, but most importantly, NO TICKS!

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#16 Re: Ticks at Bathford
July 06, 2007, 10:47:43 pm
Does someone want to give me a tour of bathford on tuesday? I'll be finished with my appointment in Bath by 1pm. Afternoon session anyone?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal