UKBouldering.com

Car advice (Read 110131 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
#250 Re: Car advice
November 24, 2015, 10:41:23 am
If it's a choice between a 1.9 TDI and early 2.0 TDI VAG engine then I'd be going for the 1.9 without hesitation.

You're around the VAG big service mileage (given some people will do it too early and others will have just forgotten) which is a fair amount of money. Make use of the VOSA MOT records, as you can see the advisories, past fails etc. of cars at a glance and you can see if there's anything that really should've been done. Take particular note of any signs of turbo issues, clunking and test the clutch.

I'd imagine given you need some info from the V5 (I think) that the owner will want to be present and will be unwilling to do this over the internet etc.

I may have said this earlier in the thread but I drove a Passat 1.9tdi (04 I think) courtesy car recently with 385k miles on the clock. The interior was wrecked, the engine was not (it'd had new clutch / flywheel etc.)!

cofe

• forum hero
#251 Re: Car advice
November 24, 2015, 11:12:22 am
Cheers P-Ben. Any idea what the big service mileage is? (I'll try and research later anyway.) The VOSA MOT thing is a good call too.

With two small kids, even if the interior is mint when I buy it, it won't be after about a week!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#252 Re: Car advice
November 24, 2015, 11:15:46 am
Got that right. We had a half eaten Joystick lolly melted into the carpet in our new car by the end of week 2. That shit doesn't shift, I think NASA should use it to stick tiles onto the spaceshuttle.

dave

#253 Re: Car advice
November 24, 2015, 11:22:40 am
I think our passat flashes up about servicing every 40K miles.

Interiorwise if you can drop on a full leather then at least the seats seem pretty indestructible.

tomtom

• forum hero
#254 Re: Car advice
November 24, 2015, 12:50:44 pm
On the TDi's Major service isnt much more than a minor (a couple of extra filters - air and cabin pollen I think).. but the Cambelt can add some ££. According to my garage there was no mileage at which the cambelt should be changed - but a time gap - 4 years. If you're getting a 5-8 YO car, just make sure that the Cambelt has been done and its been serviced at least every 15k miles.

Make sure you get to see it start cold. Proper cold, not run around from the back an hour ago. Look out in the rearview mirror for any smoke under heavy acceleration (ie floor it at 2k in 3rd and look for any clouds). I think if its pre 2007 (check - its fairly easy to google as I think a new EU regulation on emissions came in) then you don't have to worry so much about the DPF (Diesel particulate filter) - and many pre 07's , may not have them - after that maybe think about checking/asking about that...

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#255 Re: Car advice
November 24, 2015, 01:04:28 pm
2007 sounds about right - that was when they introduced the DPF for the 2.5 Transporter (but not for the 1.9 strangely enough). Agree with Paul B - the 1.9 is the one to aim for as it is a solid lump - my van is approaching 189k and not doing too badly unlike the exterior which is looking a bit battered now if I am honest. One thing to check for is that the waterpump was done at the same time as the cam belt - the cam belt has to be removed to swap out the water pump - and while is pretty much a stock move to do the two at the same time some people like to scrimp on the extra £100 or so because it "saves" them money.

cofe

• forum hero
#256 Re: Car advice
November 24, 2015, 01:06:57 pm
All good knowledge boys, thanks.

Paul B

• forum hero
#257 Re: Car advice
November 24, 2015, 03:56:41 pm
When I said major service I was referring to the cambelt etc.   :-[

There's definitely an OEM mileage limit as well as a time limit for VAG engines (whichever occurs first). A bit of googling suggests this is 40k miles or 4 years (whichever is sooner). Based on this, the cars you'll be looking at will have had one and potentially be approaching a second!

I always miss things I shouldn't when buying cars. CV joints, wheel bearings etc. Always something that I've been bitten with before!

tomtom

• forum hero
#258 Re: Car advice
November 24, 2015, 04:17:27 pm
When I said major service I was referring to the cambelt etc.   :-[

There's definitely an OEM mileage limit as well as a time limit for VAG engines (whichever occurs first). A bit of googling suggests this is 40k miles or 4 years (whichever is sooner). Based on this, the cars you'll be looking at will have had one and potentially be approaching a second!

I always miss things I shouldn't when buying cars. CV joints, wheel bearings etc. Always something that I've been bitten with before!

Reading the VAG discussion boards - its interesting that the timing belt in the 1.6 tdi engine I had, apparently had an unlimited lifespan from its manufacturer - but VAG not wanting their engines to go pop put a time limit on this.. which varies from country to country - so in the UK its 4 years - in Germany was 5 or 6 and Spain 3. Apparently this relates to the different types of driving expected in the different countries! (????).//

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#259 Re: Car advice
November 24, 2015, 09:27:36 pm
It's generally the bearing that will fail particular on the tensioner pulley before the belt fails

cofe

• forum hero
#260 Re: Car advice
December 08, 2015, 02:07:14 pm
Anyone have experience of the 1.6TDCi 110bhp Ford Focus engine from around 2008–2011?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#261 Re: Car advice
December 08, 2015, 02:14:25 pm
We've just got the 2014 estate, not sure how different the engine is. Great to drive if that means anything, but only 10,000 miles on clock,a nd only had about 2 moths, so can't comment on reliability / longevity yet.

cofe

• forum hero
#262 Re: Car advice
December 08, 2015, 02:18:09 pm
Didn't you have a Focus before that Chris, or different engine?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#263 Re: Car advice
December 08, 2015, 02:34:15 pm
Yeah, 2008, 1.6 petrol. Engine fine, but had something wobbly in EMS, warning light kept coming on.

Heated windscreen on these things is the shit!

cofe

• forum hero
#264 Re: Car advice
December 08, 2015, 02:35:24 pm
How was the 1.6 power/reliability-wise, otherwise?

Yeah, had a very old Focus about 5 years back, just for a year. Front heated windscreen is amazeballs.

galpinos

• forum hero
#265 Re: Car advice
December 08, 2015, 03:45:38 pm
Anyone have experience of the 1.6TDCi 110bhp Ford Focus engine from around 2008–2011?

Yes, I've had one for a couple of years. Good economy, no issues so far, really like the car.

cofe

• forum hero
#266 Re: Car advice
December 08, 2015, 04:39:34 pm

Yes, I've had one for a couple of years. Good economy, no issues so far, really like the car.

Nice one, cheers.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#267 Re: Car advice
December 08, 2015, 11:54:22 pm
How was the 1.6 power/reliability-wise, otherwise?

Power OK actually but not amazing, reliability no issues other than already mentioned EMS hassles.

galpinos

• forum hero
#268 Re: Car advice
December 09, 2015, 09:55:24 am

Nice one, cheers.

In a bit more detail. The engine isn't "pokey" but as I'm older and a dad now, performance isn't something I care about. It's got enough oomph to overtake when needed, will happily cruise at 80 on the motorway and is very economical, it currently costs me 9p a mile in fuel. Servicing has been ok, nothing has gone wrong so far and the service costs aren’t extortionate 9local garage, not main dealer).

The car is itself is ace. We got an 11 plate Mk2 facelift which was the last of that model before they went to the Mk3 for the 61 plate. It has all the bells and whistles (sat nav, Bluetooth etc) but they do feel dated as they were probably 5 yo technologies by the time they were installed so probably near 10yo now. The seats are comfy but the main thing is the space. The boot and rear seats were bigger/roomier than any other equivalent age hatch we could afford. We’d not long had our daughter so were in the “travel cot, buggy and bags of baby crap” stage wherever we went and boot space was high up the list (I was googling boot volumes!). The main advantage is the boot is very square so pads, prams etc fit in easily. The back seats have more leg room than a golf/A3 which was important for Grandma transportation.

Cofe, if you want any more info, drop me a PM

T_B

• forum hero
#269 Re: Car advice
December 09, 2015, 11:27:37 am
I had a 110bhp 1.6tdci focus estate 2005. Bought it with 80K on the clock. It was cheap to buy and v economical to run. Just enough power. But it sort of died at 130K and the mechanic I use said the engines were sh*t. I doubt I'd buy another Ford tbh.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#270 Re: Car advice
December 09, 2015, 11:53:16 am
I've heard a few people have had issues with that engine which is also found in a few other cars. One the turbo goes they are very expensive to repair.

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#271 Re: Car advice
December 09, 2015, 11:58:58 am

DV6 engine was a joint development between Ford and Peugeot/Citroen. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DLD_engine#DLD-416

It's a good engine with very good balance = very smooth running for a 4 pot diesel. The same engine can also be found in the 1.6 diesel Mini, Mazda and Volvo.

My job requires geeky knowledge in this area; the DV6 is the second most popular engine on the road in the Europe (after a VAG 2.0 lump - implicated in the emissions scandal). Hence, there should be no real surprises that there are the occasional reliability hiccups due to the shear number of them kicking about.

Pre-2012 is a good vintage to buy as the engine will be Euro5 emissions compliant. What this means to the average consumer is that there won't be any complex exhaust after-treatment beyond a diesel particulate filter (DPF).

DPFs are an established technology and shouldn't be a problem so long as you do a reasonable mileage and don't just potter to the shops and back (why would you be buying a diesel if this was the case?)

cofe

• forum hero
#272 Re: Car advice
December 09, 2015, 12:12:19 pm
Cheers all. I've heard some reports of problems, but have also read in a few places that this is down to not servicing when required. Which sounds like asking for trouble. Parkers rate it and the car, and I've liked the Fords I've driven. It's for family/long distance use, and the wife's daily 18 mile round trip to work.

kelvin

• forum hero
#273 Re: Car advice
December 09, 2015, 12:13:01 pm
Lots of van drivers have to potter about, most vans are diesel powered. It's a conspiracy of some sort.

T_B

• forum hero
#274 Re: Car advice
December 09, 2015, 01:52:26 pm
Cheers all. I've heard some reports of problems, but have also read in a few places that this is down to not servicing when required. Which sounds like asking for trouble. Parkers rate it and the car, and I've liked the Fords I've driven. It's for family/long distance use, and the wife's daily 18 mile round trip to work.

I bought one on the strength of Jeremy Clarkson's words "a nanny's car for a nanny state"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal