UKBouldering.com

Car advice (Read 110100 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#50 Re: Car advice
May 01, 2015, 02:48:12 pm
I don't know if it should be one for an additional thread but I wondered if anybody might have any beta before heading to a mechanic.

My 1999 Daihatsu Charade is currently experiencing an issue whereby after about 5-10 mins of driving, the rev counter goes to and fro between 1000-2000rpm when in neutral.  After making me sound like a boy racer when at a standstill, it eventually stops after a further 5-10 mins.

It's a cheap but so far hugely reliable car and I'm not too sure how much money I could outlay on getting this fixed if it's likely to be a major issue. Any help gratefully received!

lots of stuff it could be - dirty things, sensor problems etc

50 mile drive at high revs to try to clean it out (italian tuneup) might be a place to start

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#51 Re: Car advice
May 01, 2015, 03:00:21 pm
Ten minutes on the motorway at >3000 revs is always recommended for VAG diesels.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

tomtom

• forum hero
#53 Re: Car advice
May 01, 2015, 03:28:35 pm

Ten minutes on the motorway at >3000 revs is always recommended for VAG diesels.

This is often to clear the dpf. But for the op, they've a 99 Charade - which id guess is a petrol...

Paul B

• forum hero
#54 Re: Car advice
May 01, 2015, 03:43:16 pm
That's what I was wondering, engine size and fuel Monolith?

Lumpy/revvin at tickover makes me think injection issue.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#55 Re: Car advice
May 01, 2015, 07:49:59 pm
I've owned 3 french cars, all of which were shit. Currently got a 59 plate renault scenic with approx 50k miles on it that is slowly falling to pieces. The inside is great tho, loads of room for the kids stuff, more storage things than you can shack a stick at, plenty of leg room but the 1.5 dCi engine is woefully underpowered, put any weight in it at all at the mpg's plummit, proper false economy.
The electronic handbrake only comes on automatically when you stop the engine (as far as I am aware)
Luckily the wife has a 200bhp A4 cab to compensate for the 'dad' mobile. I sometimes forget to put the handbrake on but luckily I always leave a car in gear when I park up so it doesn't really matter!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#56 Re: Car advice
May 01, 2015, 08:20:43 pm
Back to what El Mocho should get, that's interesting to hear about the Toyotas. Think Nissans are similar. I did consider a Qashqai but wasn't so keen on the high roof line. The thing that always impressed me about the Honda engine was when I was considering it, I spoke to the local main dealer. It had around 70k on it and I knew some timing belts need doing around then which is a pricey service. The dealer told me its got a chain not a belt and it doesn't need touching until 120k and even then its just an inspection. Sold.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#57 Re: Car advice
May 01, 2015, 09:23:10 pm
I had a lexus is200 (posh toyota) and the timing belt interval was every 100k

tomtom

• forum hero
#58 Car advice
May 01, 2015, 09:33:32 pm
My Golf is 120k or every 4 years...

What was the is200 like Jim? (In general)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#59 Re: Car advice
May 01, 2015, 09:45:57 pm
awesome, I loved it. Great to drive, smooth straight 6 engine, could of done with a bit more power tho. It used to be a real head turner, lost count of the amount of people telling me how nice it looked in petrol stations or come back after been parked up somewhere with people looking at it, even had people in France taking photo's of the car. did a few mods to it (induction kit, strut brace, uprated anti-roll bars, HKS exhaust, lowered springs etc..).

tomtom

• forum hero
#60 Re: Car advice
May 01, 2015, 10:41:25 pm
A bit different, but I was looking up the Is200 hybrids - and they seem to be a bit of a dark horse (far nicer Prius in effect).. 11 plate 30k miles for c.£11...

andy_e

• forum hero
#61 Re: Car advice
May 05, 2015, 10:25:30 am

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#62 Re: Car advice
May 05, 2015, 01:14:50 pm
That's what I was wondering, engine size and fuel Monolith?

Lumpy/revvin at tickover makes me think injection issue.

It's a 1.3 litre Paul running on unleaded. Would be brilliant if it was an easy fix. I'm honestly so impressed with this car.

When I acquired it, the cat and exhaust were pretty knackered and needed replacing. I managed to find a manufacturer of both in the outback of North Wales where it cost something like £70 for both the cat and the exhaust. Initially I was getting quotes of around £120+ for just one of those parts.

Really should be in the other thread through sorry. If a mod wishes to move this, no problems at all.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#63 Re: Car advice
May 05, 2015, 01:38:09 pm
Knackered cat converter is another symptom of lambda sensor not working. I know it's causation / correlation but......

tomtom

• forum hero
#64 Re: Car advice
May 05, 2015, 03:00:18 pm
Tried putting a thingy of injector cleaner through with a 1/2 tank of fuel?
Have you run out of petrol in it recently (or gone down to the spluttering dregs..)?

Monolith

• forum hero
#65 Re: Car advice
May 05, 2015, 03:08:22 pm
I haven't yet Tom but that sounds like a good idea. I've not been down to the dregs ever I don't think.

tomtom

• forum hero
#66 Re: Car advice
May 05, 2015, 03:12:46 pm
I haven't yet Tom but that sounds like a good idea. I've not been down to the dregs ever I don't think.

OK - I asked the dregs question as sometimes shit in the bottom of the tank can get dragged through etc when you run out. Might be worth (its a $5-10 punt) the injector cleaner and give it a bit of a razz.. it might clean out the injector and/or any sensors.. I've seen it work for emissions pre MOT..!

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#67 Re: Car advice
May 05, 2015, 08:39:43 pm
I suspect that Charade may well have an owners website that could provide a better idea of what is wrong or at least a better idea than a forum for a bunch of people who like climbing rocks*.

Also have you actually had a diagnostic check done on it by your local tame mechanic? If not getting one done would be my advice - same reason as above.

* Nibile excepted.  ;)

chris20

• menacing presence
#68 Re: Car advice
May 25, 2015, 08:40:57 pm
Thought I'd continue this thread rather than start a new one.

We're after a new car, with a budget of about 2-3K.  Looking at fabia, golf, polo, fiesta or focus.  With this budget it looks like it will be between 2004 and 2006.  Any suggestions what to look out for or which engines are best?

Cheers

Monolith

• forum hero
#69 Re: Car advice
June 03, 2015, 11:34:25 am
By way of an update; I added a 'shot' of Redex engine cleaner to the Charade and another one on the next filling. Solved the problem instantly. That stuff is a miracle! Thanks for the advice all.

tomtom

• forum hero
#70 Re: Car advice
June 03, 2015, 11:41:00 am
By way of an update; I added a 'shot' of Redex engine cleaner to the Charade and another one on the next filling. Solved the problem instantly. That stuff is a miracle! Thanks for the advice all.

Excellent - might have just been a shitty batch of petrol etc...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#71 Re: Car advice
June 03, 2015, 12:45:10 pm
Might be worth changing fuel filter now. Easy to do yourself, and only a few quid.

Turns out our car problems weren't the lambda sensor, but loose connector in plug in side of coil. Fortune new as ford only sell wiring loom as a whole, £20 from breakersyard.com. Problem sorted.

Monolith

• forum hero
#72 Re: Car advice
June 05, 2015, 04:28:22 pm
Yeah, spoke to soon. Problem is back again now. I'll look into the fuel filter fix as the fact it operating fine for two days after adding Redex suggests it is something within the fuel system (no?). Thanks for the help so far folks.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#73 Re: Car advice
July 11, 2015, 03:32:43 pm
Resurrecting this. Going to have to change the old V70 soon, 255k is about retirement age....

I'm considering large hatchbacks / small estates, possibly saloons. No kids, no pets, and I don't have enough friends to be doing regular large trips with a carful - I had two trips with 2-3 mates and pads this winter and that's a rarity. Thus the large estate is a bit of a waste.

Things I'm after: automatic (just accept it, okay), reliable & efficient over long mileage, common enough to be easily repaired/maintained, and decent poke for overtaking (i.e. I generally cruise rather than hoon but need a bit of leeway just in case). Budget 5-6k-ISH can go a bit higher if needed.

I had considered: Skoda Fabia 1.4 Vrs Estate, autos are available and stats were good on Autotrader, but the venerable PaulB has warned me off saying real world efficiency would be balls, I'd need more torque and the cabin wouldn't be as nice as his suggestion which was:

Audi A3 2.0 Tdi Sportback 5dr, again autos are available, stats also good, and Paul is right the cabin looks a lot nicer than the Fabia. I was passenger in a 2002 1.9 Tdi 3dr last week and it seemed pretty nice (albeit with a tiny boot) , and the 2006-ish models I'm looking at seem nicer yet.

I'd previously looked at Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci 163 version, again good stats, a bit slower but quite a bit more economical, also the boot is really good for a hatchback, but the cabin looks like someone vomited up a sci-fi film set, autos seem rare, and prices are still high.

Also possibly fitting the bill is the Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance DSG, not as sporty as the Vrs but sounds promising with a very neat cabin, although I don't see so many of them cropping up at a decent price.

tomtom

• forum hero
#74 Car advice
July 11, 2015, 03:55:47 pm
Is there anything wrong with the V70... ? Might give you another 250k: seen these milages?

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/hmc/index.php

There's a v70 there with 650k!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal