UKBouldering.com

UKB power club week 264 24th February - 8th March 2015 (Read 17805 times)

kelvin

• forum hero

W - bm session +60kg. But of a silly experiment, just did 5s hangs and dropped down to 20 kg for the monos.

just did 5s hangs @ double your body weight

Inspiring or total fruit loop nonsensical ridiculousness...

mark s

• junky
a long term goal has been 3 plates a side (140) since i have lifted weights.did 2x 130 yesterday so getting close,felt bloody heavy compared to 120

galpinos

• forum hero
STG
•   Don’t let life get in the way too much
•   Stick to the plan
•   Back up to previous highpoint, 7A in short order - Not quite there but feels like it happening, 7B with effort

M: BM Session: Really good session on the half crimps followed by press ups.
T: Nothing (Packing and sorting)
W: Nothing (Spent day with Mum in hospital)
T: Nothing (Travelling to the Alps)
F: Sainte Foy – Skinned up from the top of the Col de l’Aiguille for a little way then skied down to le Lac du Clou then down into the Vallon du Clou. Nice snow and a good introduction for the less experienced in the party. Next was a skin up to the Col de Grenier from the top of the Marquise lift and a fantastic descent into the Vallon de Mercuel. All was well until a tumble in the tress left one guy with a badly sprained ankle. Ended up with a chopper rescue and a ski down in the dark. Long Day!
S: Sainte Foy – Attempted to skin to the Col d’Argentiere for a “north face lite” descent back into the Vallon de Mercuel but due to a slow start and even slower progress decided to change plan. Afetr the summit of the Pointe de la Foglietta we skied back down into the Vallon du Clou.
S: Les Arcs – Boot pack from the top of the lift up to the Grand Col on the Aiguille Rouge. Fantastic untracked snow for a fair way down then combat skiing back to Villaroger. Back up the lifts then a boot pack to the summit of the Aiguille Grive. Slight concern over the state of the snow but when we summited realised the couloir was still in the shade. Great couloir to ski but was a little short on snow, a couple of rock steps kept the anxiety level up.
M: Another skin up to the Col de Grenier and descent in the Vallon de Mercuel but staying skiers left. Again found untracked lovely snow. Blagged a lift back to Sainte Foy and snuck in a quick skin up to the cross on the Pointe de La Foglietta and had a lovely ski down the NW face. Legs totally cooked, into the car, back to the airport and the flight home.

Goals for Next week:
Start the next training phase.

JackAus

• junky
STG: Another V7. Drop down to sub 80kg.
MTG: V8. Sub 75kg.
LTG: V11

M: St Leonards. Usual stuff up to about V5. Dynos, abit of campussing.
T: St Leonards. Usual stuff up to about V5. Dynos, alot of campussing.
W: St Leonards. Climbing warm up for the gym really. Dynos, abit of campussing. Usual stuff up to about V5. Gym after. 500m sprint on row; 5x10 each of front press, leg press, pull down, leg raises; 500m row sprint; 5x10 each of ab roll on knees and elbow tendon stuff; 500m row sprint; core 3x30 vertical scissor kicks, horizontal scissors, bicycles. Finish with a few back pull ups.
T: St Leonards. Climbing warm up for the gym really. Dynos, abit of campussing. Usual stuff up to about V5. Gym after. 500m sprint on row; 5x10 each of front press, leg press, pull down, leg raises; 500m row sprint; 5x10 each of ab roll on knees and elbow tendon stuff; 500m row sprint; core 3x30 vertical scissor kicks, horizontal scissors, bicycles. Finish with a few back pull ups.
Everytime I say "gym", this is my usual routine.
F: Frontline. 3xV1, 1xV2, 2xV4, new V6 for me. Worked 2xV5s & V7. Hot. Very hot.
S: Worked. Hard day.
S: Much needed rest day.

Dropped another 1.5-2kg this week. Bringing me down to 83.5. Pleased with progress.

36chambers

• forum hero
STG:
- 7C
- Stu's Roof
- 7B in font
MTG: lots of 7C/7C+
LTG: 8B

M: Depot, third day on. Good session on the 50 board. Working 3 problems. Made a one move project on the 30 board. Pull on, fully stretched, holding two terrible pinches and then try and move my left hand to a higher terrible pinch. I can barely hold each position statically, so if my foot pops then game over. Hours of entertainment. Still haven't done it.
T: Rest
W: Yoga ball core workout week 8. Feeling like a champion holding the side planks for 45 sec.
T: Depot. 50 board. Sent one of Tuesday's problems. Still can't do the one move 30 problem.
F: Yoga ball core workout week 8
S: Big day out at Brimham. Still can't do Benchmark. Team siege of Take a Bough, maybe it was the warm weather but no one could touch it, off the list. A few 7a's I have overlooked in the past.
S: First time at Anston Stones. Hungover, ticked a few easy 7s. Had a brief play on Bullet, definitely a goer. Dark Art is now on the list. First time I actually enjoyed climbing at a limestone crag and I can't believe I'm keen to go back  :o  Maybe I was still drunk.     

andy_e

• forum hero
One session on Take A Bough and you take it off your list? Stick with it, it's an amazing problem.

36chambers

• forum hero
I've wanted to get on it for ages and we finally found it in acceptable nick and we had enough pads to give it a go. I thought it would be a relatively easy tick, but the right sloper felt awful and I couldn't really commit to the left slap with that high right heel. You make it look so easy in your video.   

It's been taken from my "problems I'm currently really psyched for and the main reason I'm at a particular crag" list, and is now on the "problems I'd like to do at some point" list ;D

andy_e

• forum hero
It's a big move for sure but the fall off it is fine. I did it a while ago so can't really remember but pretty sure your heel doesn't actually go far in and so it comes out fine if you don't make the move. I guess that right sloper must be quite dirty at the moment, not sure how much attention it gets!

petejh

• forum hero
Haven't done power club for ages. I've just started a serious periodised plan for the first time, so it seems an appropriate time to start logging the training on here..

STG: Melanchollie (in May) or The Brute (in August)
MTG: Onsight attempts on The Hurting, Cathedral, Banana Wall, Anubis (next winter)
LTG: 8c (within three years)
Ultimate goal: undecided

Base phase, following 10 days rest after a winter of mixed climbing.

M. core sesh/mobility
T. ARC sesh @ beacon. 2 x 30mins on auto belay, up 6b down 5c
W.
F. core sesh/mobility
S. Dulas cave. 6 pitches of grade 6a-6b+
S. Penmaenhead. TR solo, 8 pitches of grade 6a/+

Managing some symptoms of tennis elbow.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
Haven't done power club for ages. I've just started a serious periodised plan for the first time, so it seems an appropriate time to start logging the training on here..

MTG: Onsight attempts on The Hurting, Cathedral, Banana Wall, Anubis (next winter)
LTG: 8c (within three years)
Ultimate goal: undecided

Base phase, following 10 days rest after a winter of mixed climbing.

M. core sesh/mobility
W.
F. core sesh/mobility
S. Dulas cave. 6 pitches of grade 6a-6b+
S. Penmaenhead. TR solo, 8 pitches of grade 6a/+

Managing some symptoms of tennis elbow.

Welcome back Pete, I'll be down the Diamond a lot again this year so happy to give you belays on The Brute. Same goes for earlier in the year at LPT.

T_B

• forum hero

Nice! Those would be mine if I lived in Wales I reckon.

Dolly

• forum hero
M Kettlebells and Bulgarian Bag
T 8 easy route at gym done in 30 mins
W
T Foundry but I was tired and weak
F Bulgarian Bag. Lots of bang or a quick buck
S Beastmaker. Deadhangs then French pull ups
S Gym cor and squats

Too much time at work and not enough climbing

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
M Kettlebells and Bulgarian Bag

No idea what that is. Please don't explain - I like the mystique. Anything with East European nomenclature gets my vote. I am following a secret program of Yugoslavian dropcrushing.

petejh

• forum hero

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
a "Bulgarian bag" is a name now being used for a £10 bag - originally it was a лв30 bag, so just slightly bigger than a ten bag

tomtom

• forum hero
I thought it was some auto-asphyxiation method originating from Eastern Europe?

Dolly

• forum hero
Its a bit like this but less woolly

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
Good news is the Psyche is back and getting outside keeps me psyched and healthy  :2thumbsup:

Boom!

And now this week since Sunday, the weather had been daytimes highs of -5 to -10C, and its supposed to snow 12-24 inches Sunday morning to Monday night.  Psyche is crushed.... :(

Still, the upside will be a few good days on snowboarding on fresh Pow, unless of course it decides to rain all week instead.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Why is tomtom carrying a bison?

tomtom

• forum hero

Why is tomtom carrying a bison?

Not me. No receding hairline.. Besides I prefer to haul goats.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Never heard it called "haul" before  ;)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Top form guys  :lol:

sdm

• forum abuser
It is time I started keeping track of my climbing/training. It is a little bit late but where better to start than a Font trip?

Firstly a bit about goals. I just about broke into the low 7s last year, managing 1 7A+ and about 5 7As so the aim for this year is to consolidate at 7A and aim for a 7B. To help with this, I have started a bouldering pyramid for 2015.

The aim is:
1 x 7B
3 x 7A+
9 x 7A
27 x 6C/6C+ of which I want at least 13 out of the 27 to be either slabs or aretes. Most of my harder climbs have been roofs/overhangs and I need to work more on my weaknesses. Even font 5 aretes often cause me problems.

Before Font, the pyramid stood at:
7B: 0/1
7A+: 0/3
7A: 2/9 (Simple Simon Indirect and The Crack, both at Churnet)
6C/6C+: 1/27 (First Roof Middle at Gardom's)

So early progress on the pyramid has been a bit slow. I was hoping to have filled out a bit more of the bottom of the pyramid by now. I have found 3 projects (Wright's Traverse 7B, Wright's Unconquerable 7A+ and High Speed Imp Act 7A which all feel like they should be doable after varying amounts of work.

Away from bouldering, I want to do more sport and push myself harder at it. I'm not going to set any target grades or routes as I've never properly redpointed anything so I'm not really sure what a worthwhile target would be yet but we're aiming for a sport trip in summer/autumn and I'd like to be able to get more out of it than I would if I went on one now.

Enough rambling, time to begin:

Sunday (technically the week before but it was the start of the trip): It rained early in the night so we went to Gorges Aux Chats in the morning hoping something would be dry, aiming to do an easy circuit to get back in to the feel of climbing at Font. Just as we got out the car, it started to rain again. Had a look around, everything was very wet and clearly wasn't going to dry so back to the gite for lunch. This was the second year in a row where we tried to start our trip by going to Gorge Aux Chats, I have yet to pull on to a problem there.

In the afternoon, we went to a very busy Rocher Fin where probably half the routes were dry. Didn't seem much point trying to stick to a circuit so we just ran around on easy stuff. Did about 10 problems up to 6A including some nice balancy slabs. I was pleased with how easy Rubik felt, which was the scene of a bit of a meltdown near the top 2 years ago. Spent ages working red 16 Torticolis 5C, without getting anywhere near it  :-[

Monday: More rain overnight so we had a later start and then went to 91.1, which was bone dry and which we had to ourselves for the whole day! Warmed up on some low grade balancy slabs, which were starting to feel as easy as they should after a few days in Font. Then we did Red 12 Le Cure-Dents 6A and L'Arc de Cercle 5C on the chained boulder. Was pleased with these as I failed to commit to these 2 years ago but they felt very comfortable this time. Might be becoming less of a coward. We did Flipper 6B, which took a fair bit of work and was well worth its classic status.

Tried Red 34 La Balancoire 6A and Rideau de Pluie 6C, a couple of highish problems with a less than perfect landing but failed to commit to the tops. Tried L'Americain 7A+, Le Sous-Plomb 6C+ and Le Sous-Plomb direct 7A+. I was nowhere near L'Americain but both versions of Le Sous-Plomb felt closeish and I think I would have managed them if I had tried them before I tired at the end of the day.

Tuesday: Maunoury. It was good fun exploring through all the caves and gorges etc but climbing harder things was tricky with the number of rocky landings, highish problems and scrittly/sandy problems. Seems like it could do with a bit more traffic to keep the problems clean. Got up a few easy things then failed on: Red 19 Full Monty 6B (struggled to commit on a typical Font topout), Red 18 l'Ellipse 6B (too hard), Red 15 Le Jardin Suspendu? 5C (wouldn't commit to a sloping topout combined with a high heel-toe cam that felt a bit too good), Soupçon assis 7A (bunched sitstart that I wasn't very close to). I got up a few reds and blues but overall, I was a bit disappointed at some of the problems I didn't manage. With hindsight, we would have been better off having a fun day running around on something like the blue circuit and saving the skin for somewhere where we were more likely to succeed.

Wednesday: Apremont. Spent a while trying red 12 Chateau de Sable 6A. Didn't manage the topout and lost a fair bit of skin on the sharp crimps. It was a really good problem which I would have liked to get done although looking at the book, I think the line we were taking was probably harder than the intended line. Tried red 11 Les Yeux 6B where I couldn't quite move up in balance after matching the monos. Flashed red 8 Triste Portique 5B, then sheltered in a cave for lunch while it rained. Once things had dried again, did sky blue 16 Michodiere 5B with 3 different topouts as we weren't sure where the line went and attempted white 10? Les Etoiles 6A+/La Lune 6C+ but I couldn't rock over far enough on the heel at the top to reach the finishing jug. I think I had to be doing the right move, just needed to do it better. Wanted to try Science Friction 6B and 13eme Travail d'Hercule 7A but neither looked likely to dry that day.

Tried Égoiste 7A and Knees 7A in the fading light. I didn't manage to match the top hold on the arete of Égoiste before the move out left but it felt like it would have gone with a bit more work or if I'd tried it earlier in the day. Did the moves from the start to the massive slot on Knees first time and did from matched in the slot to the top first time but couldn't work out how to match the slot without dabbing and gave up with darkness well and truly descended. For some reason I never tried the kneebar which everyone used in the videos I checked back at the gite. Given the problem's name, you would have thought that would have been the first thing I tried... I'll put that oversight down to fatigue/hunger after a long day's bouldering.

Thursday: Franchard Cuisiniere. Started off poorly, failing on white 30 Rapido 6A arete, white 31 Le Puzzle 5C, an overhang where I couldn't workout the arete at the top (told you I was rubbish at aretes!) and white 29 Rhomboide 6A+ traverse (probably should have stuck at this one for a few more tries). Retreated to Orange 10 l'Equerre 4B, a highball offwidth/layback crack just to get to the top of something, then did red 21 Fissure USA 5C, an unknown mantle and two unknown balancy slabs over a poor landing (one of these was excellent).

After lunch, flashed red 24 Soif de Vivre 5C (a nice balancy slab), flashed white 39 Le Figaro 6A, a highish slopey arete, did white 41 Passion 5C, flashed the sitstart Proue de la Passion 6C+ (if you can call it a flash having already done the finish) and tried to extend it in to Passion et Vertu 7A. I couldn't do one move around the arete on to the face of Passion et Vertu unless I used a good higher hold which I suspect isn't allowed. The rest of the route felt easy for 7A so I think the higher hold must be out. I couldn't find any videos of the line so does anyone know how low you are supposed to stay as you come under the prow and on to the face?

Then did a couple of easy highish balancy slabs and attempted Undertow 7A. I was close to getting Undertow, I pieced all bar one move together quickly but I just didn't have the skin left to properly work something that slopey. I think I could have got it with a bit more work but that probably would have been the end of my trip.

On the way back to the car, we popped in to Isatis as I wanted to try Quartier Latin, a 7A I felt close to before. I quickly managed the move I couldn't do before, only to come unstuck on the slab at the top which I could do previously. Frustrating.

Friday: Bas Cuvier. Started off failing on a bunch of things: Charcuterie, Ariagnée and La Daubé all 7A (nowhere near any of them), Cortomaltese 6C+ (gave up to preserve the skin, suspect I was a further away from doing this than it felt) Coup de Sang 6B (a highball arete with a sloping top that I couldn't commit to) and Trav Leroux en aller-retour 7A (couldn't work out one move in the middle on the way back).

Feeling incapable of topping out anything, I set off doing a bunch of easier stuff to salvage something from the day. Did blue 38 Jus d'Orange 5C, blue 39 Porthos 5A+ and then did Orange 35-44. Then we found a few boulders with a bunch of highish slabs over good landings where I did blue 34 Mur de Tripes 5C+, Sans le Serpent 5C, Sans l'Arete 6B, blue 33 La Dévissante 5B+, orange 38 Les Tripes 3B, blue 36 La Diedre du Doigt 5A, blue 35 Surplomb du Doigt 5B and blue 32 La Dalle au Pernod 5C, almost all of which were flashed. I really enjoyed this area and pleased to do so many highish problems which I would probably have backed away from on earlier trips.

Saturday: driving home. Steak and frites and Pain au Raisin.

Sunday: indoors leading session, lots of new routes to attempt. Warmed up on 5b, 5c, 2 x 6a, 6b, 6c (all flashed). Attempted overhanging orange 7a, fell off two thirds of the way after getting a bit pumped due to poor route reading and then attempting to do a move too dynamically when it needed to be static. I think the grade was soft and I probably should have flashed it. Attempted the orange 7a+. Found it quite hard to read and it took a few goes to get some of the moves, then did it on I think my 2nd redpoint attempt. Went to try the moves on the green 7B. Found it easier than expected and quickly got all of the moves. Fell off the redpoint attempt due to using the wrong foot placement. Partner had to go so I finished off with some endurance work, doing the new V1-V3 circuit on limited rest.

Overall, I would have liked to get up more problems in the high 6s and maybe a few 7s at Font but I think there were a number of things holding us back there: 1) We often only got round to attempting harder things late in the day when tired and low on skin, 2) There were only two of us on the trip so we maybe didn't rest as much between attempts as we should have and we had less people to leach beta off and 3) we climbed straight through the week where we should have had a rest day or at least an easy day on a low grade circuit around Wednesday to recharge the skin and energy levels.

Had a great time though and was pleased with the progress on higher problems.

Apologies for the ramblings, I'll try and keep this week's entry a bit shorter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal