Aims for 2015 (Read 92394 times)

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#125 Re: Aims for 2015
December 23, 2014, 05:50:33 pm

Try not to be so old.

Let me know how this goes.  I'm in the market for tips and tricks...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#126 Re: Aims for 2015
December 23, 2014, 06:08:56 pm

Try not to be so old.

People keep telling me it's all in the mind.

But I can feel it in my Elbows.

Shoulders.

Knees.

Spine.

Fingers.

Slap head.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#127 Re: Aims for 2015
December 25, 2014, 06:16:25 pm

Try not to be so old.

....says the person who ticked the fucking Mandala. Bastard.

Brannock

• regular
#128 Re: Aims for 2015
December 27, 2014, 09:21:08 am
More E points than this year.

E4 onsight

Go sport climbing

More bouldering

Be organised enough to have a proper climbing trip (alps, morocco, America....)

Finish higher than 18th in a fell race

A long run.

dk

• regular
  • C'est tres bon
#129 Re: Aims for 2015
December 27, 2014, 12:02:39 pm
Go to the Frankenjura!

Sport Climb in the mid 8's again - but at 11 stone not under 9 stone :/ and boulder something hard....

Campus 1-5-9 because it would be really satisfying!

Climb more :)

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#130 Re: Aims for 2015
December 29, 2014, 06:13:27 pm
Nail all the projects I've stacked up

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#131 Re: Aims for 2015
December 29, 2014, 09:06:14 pm
Go to the Frankenjura!

Good plan.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#132 Re: Aims for 2015
December 29, 2014, 09:41:31 pm
Climbing-wise 2014 was great, seeing me match or better myself in every climbing discipline.

trad

On sight more E5s. Simple really, keep getting on ace three star routes when you feel good and just have an honest go. it's not the onsight as a finished product that matters, but the onsight as a process.

Go to fairhead and the burren.

Tick more extreme rock routes (currently on 22)

Some grit/more peak E4s.

sport:

Red point 7c. Not sure if I'll be able to afford a Spain trip early this year and not sure I can bear uk sport just yet when the trad is so much better.

Flash 7b more likely in Spain than UK!

boulderhogging

Continue highball psyche! Finish off narcissus, do more cool ones!

Climb some 7A+s: help the young at stanage, demon wall roof at almscliff, Red Baron at Shipley? Many more I'm sure.

Life-wise 2014 was a bit more all over the place and I didn't achieve what I aimed for (in fact Those two aspects of my life are now gone). This makes it more difficult for me to create meaningful goals.

Try and gain some direction in life apart from climbing.

Become comfortable in my singledom.

Be less of a messy bastard in the house.

eat more healthily

Be a good person.

Here's hoping for a good 2015 for everyone!  :beer2:

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#133 Re: Aims for 2015
December 31, 2014, 05:54:34 pm
Going to set the bar too high probably:

Do 25 things 8A or harder
Make the most of having a car
Get around the UK more and get better at climbing not on trips
One arm the small beastmaker crimp  (doubtful )

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#134 Re: Aims for 2015
December 31, 2014, 06:22:19 pm
I'm not going to bother with grade-based ones this year.

Try harder routes. This is the big one really, particularly on trad. I've always lacked confidence in my climbing and I'm very good at taking the easy option and having a nice day rather than nice day where I come back really satisfied by my climbing as well.

Visit some new crags.

Daily upper and lower body stretches. I'm pretty good at stretching every day, but seem to only do one or the other for long periods. Doing both will only mean 30 minutes a day instead of 15- nothing really- and should benefit me no end.

Expand and improve my filmmaking/ photography and balance this with being a climber myself as well. This covers loads of things that I'm not going to bother listing here. It's also nice and woolly so I can decide whether I ticked it or not on my own terms.  ;)

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#135 Re: Aims for 2015
December 31, 2014, 06:26:40 pm
Going to set the bar too high probably:

Do 25 things 8A or harder
Make the most of having a car
Get around the UK more and get better at climbing not on trips
One arm the small beastmaker crimp  (doubtful )

Forgot to add do an iron cross with the worst possible form and not get injured (on iron crosses or otherwise)

andy popp

• forum hero
#136 Re: Aims for 2015
December 31, 2014, 09:11:18 pm
I've begun to realise that even my enthusiasm for Cheshire has limits. So one aim should to be climb more further afield. Even so, projects remain ... it would be nice to think I've left nothing I'd really like to do.

Bouldering projects: The Slippery Slope, The Dirty South, Black Bloc (the last is probably a stretch).

Routes: Chairman of the Board, that arch, that roof, that wall.

Established problems: Alec's Arete sitter, Reign of Debris, Salty Knackers.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#137 Re: Aims for 2015
December 31, 2014, 09:27:14 pm
OK I'm actually going to commit my hopes for the year to writing for once:

1. Stay un-injured & climb lots despite birth of 2nd child.

2.  RP 7c+ - hopefully Threadbare (right-hand) at Torbryn, plus maybe something at Ansteys;

3. Onsight plenty of E4s and at least 1 or 2 E5s - Right Wall &/or Il Duce would be good.

4. Go to North Wales for a weekend climbing.

Obviously achieving goal no.1 will be key to achieving the others too.

dave

#138 Re: Aims for 2015
December 31, 2014, 10:34:00 pm
Aim: simply to burn off Ondra. Watch out you little punk bitch! Dave's coming for ya.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#139 Re: Aims for 2015
January 01, 2015, 02:02:57 am
7B

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#140 Re: Aims for 2015
January 01, 2015, 07:52:52 am
Yeah!  Go Rick!!

mark s

• junky
#141 Re: Aims for 2015
January 01, 2015, 11:23:28 am
150k bench
240k deadlift

climb a bit more this year,not fussed about grades,just getting out is what makes me tick

cha1n

• forum hero
#142 Re: Aims for 2015
January 01, 2015, 01:55:40 pm
- Recover from current injuries
- Show some discipline and common sense to avoid future injuries
- Climb all the classics in my grade range
- Buy a house
- Finish last year of degree
- Go walking
- Use my mountain bike

kelvin

• forum hero
#143 Re: Aims for 2015
January 01, 2015, 03:43:25 pm
Seem to have almost made most of my goals last year  :smart:

This year is slightly different as heading to Spain for six months in Oct... 9 months of training before then.

So... the goal is lighter and fitter.

Lose weight. Around 83/4kg at the moment. 73kg max when I leave. Sorting out a full nutrition and conditioning plan at the moment.

Train sensibly. Hard when I can and don't beat myself up when it's just not possible. More quantity, more effort. Set targets for every month and weekly goals. To include...

10 pullups (managed 3 the other day). Sounds pathetic but this by far the hardest target I have personally.

100 pressups EVERY day by Sept.

50th birthday in Sept, this will be difficult but I want a six pack. Shallow, vain but attainable. Try harder Mr. Mann.

Climbing goals -

My logbook says 5 x E1 and 2 x HVS. An E2 would be great before April but I'm not sweating it, trad isn't the focus.

Do plenty of Peak limestone sport before Spain. No targets, just lots of it.

No bouldering goals this year.

joeisidle

• addict
#144 Re: Aims for 2015
January 01, 2015, 03:51:25 pm
- Rehabilitate niggling right wrist injury by actually going to a decent sports therapist
- Eat better
- Light exercise every day (even if it's just stretching)
- Get stronger on steep stuff by rehabilitating niggles to allow for more time on overhangs/fingerboards
- Consistently do press-ups
- Grit to tick: Spinal Slab at RHS, Trust and Milky Buttons at the Roaches, Fin Sitter at Gibb Tor, get a sea of pads together and actually try Entropy's Jaw

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#145 Re: Aims for 2015
January 01, 2015, 07:08:25 pm
10 pullups (managed 3 the other day). Sounds pathetic but this by far the hardest target I have personally.

100 pressups EVERY day by Sept.

50th birthday in Sept, this will be difficult but I want a six pack. Shallow, vain but attainable. Try harder Mr. Mann.
Good goals. For me it's exactly the opposite, no probs with pull ups but 100 press ups a day would be impossible for me!
Regarding the 6 pack, you've probably seen it but YouTube or google ab ripper x, it's only a 20 minute work out but very effective if done often, sorry for the  :offtopic:

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#146 Re: Aims for 2015
January 02, 2015, 09:16:48 am
Pullups and pressups are really easy to increase your capacity on- just try and do your maximum +1 every day. Have a rest day if you feel too sore to do them obviously.

How much it will help your climbing is another matter of course! I'd imagine doing 100 of anything every day is going to end in tears too.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#147 Re: Aims for 2015
January 02, 2015, 09:22:44 am
I'm going to throw my hat in the ring here, because I want to climb again and because some life decisions may actually mean more time in UK in 2015.

Fun stuff:
- Climb again, in a sustainable way. 2014 was a shit year, climbing-wise. I had no motivation, I got injured and climbed very little at all. I didn't even want to. But I do now and I need to make it work in a sustainable way. Obviously I need to start off slow, but my real goals will be to climb some interesting problems in interesting places. I'll throw it out there that there's some unfinished business (Supernova and Octopussy in Magic Wood, The Joker at Stanage, Mossatrocity, one or two things in Font) that still haunt me and that may well necessitate a trip or two up north.
- Surf more new spots and continue to improve as a surfer. I pretty much re-started surfing in 2014 after years away from it and really enjoyed surfing new spots and revisiting old spots that I'd surfed years before (J-Bay being a good example thereof - holy shit, what a wave) and I'd like to continue that because there are plenty of good waves within a few hours drive, or less, that are world class and that I haven't surfed yet.
- Get the weight back down to climbing fighting fitness - i.e. 85kgs, as opposed to 90kgs.
- 2 x BW deadlift - got up to 170kgs as a 1 rep max, so this shouldn't be too bad.

Serious stuff:
- Make a call on what to do with my life, although this is dependent on how some interesting chips fall both in my life and in my fiance's. Do we stay in Cape Town? Sell house? Keep house? Buy bigger house? Do we go somewhere else for a while? If so, where? London? Dublin? Amsterdam? Vienna? Somewhere else? Live in a van in Europe for a few months? I hope that the chips that will enable the decision to be made will fall in January.
- Normalise working situation, especially work/life balance and relationship with new boss.
- Spend more time with my friends - seems life everything got in the way of this in 2015, especially not climbing.

tomtom

• forum hero
#148 Re: Aims for 2015
January 02, 2015, 10:48:25 am
Never drink again....

kelvin

• forum hero
#149 Re: Aims for 2015
January 02, 2015, 11:05:46 am

How much it will help your climbing is another matter of course! I'd imagine doing 100 of anything every day is going to end in tears too.

It's more a conditioning goal - my left elbow is always tweaky due to work and pressups are the easiest way to help it. Just to clarify tho, that's a 100 spread throughout the day! 30 before work, 40 at work, 30 in the evening. Once you're in the routine, it's pretty easy but I'm rubbish at doing them every day, certainly when away climbing at the weekends.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal