UKBouldering.com

O'er the hill: Lancashire Life (Read 23199 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 05:13:46 pm
Currently Nat and I both work for the same company based on the South side of Leeds; the commute is a bitch (and worsening as Christmas approaches) as realistically we're limited to when we can leave the office. Nat has been doing it for >4 years. The plan was always to move up to Leeds but ideally for that I'd like to live on the North side and the commute would change, I'm not sure it'd improve.

About two months ago,  Nat was given a promotion (without reward) to the level above me which means she effectively manages a team. That said, for a few different reasons there's not as much work for the team she's been given and she's mildly disillusioned for a number of reasons (one being the client).

The company have won some new work (actually sh*t loads) and are thinking of opening an office near Clitheroe (new client). We've basically been offered the opportunity to be some of the first people to go over there (with Nat taking on what I think would be a great role for her and gaining the opportunity to influence the things she dislikes, for me things would be pretty similar).

In the short term this might mean working out of the Sheffield office (which doesn't usually deal with our kind of work) with a few days over in Skelmersdale (sh*t hole?) with the company putting us up in a hotel/apartment/whatever.

From what I can see the proposed office location looks pretty well located for access to the Yorkshire Limestone, the M6 and thus the Lakes and not too far from North Wales. Longridge would also be on the door step for post work sessions whenever the light allowed. Have I missed anything glaring?

Access to walls is what worries me. BoulderUK is meant to be good but can you train there (routes + boulder problems)?
Kendal is around 1 hour away so doable I suppose. The other solution might be  a (decent) home board... Currently I live 5 mins from the Foundry, <10mins from the School and the Works is only on the other side of town!

For UKBers that live over that way, how's it to live? Property seems relatively affordable.

Does this all seem like a relatively sensible choice?

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 06:51:21 pm
How about Hebden way? Not too far to Clitheroe and within striking distance of Leeds (esp Depot) ?

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 06:55:49 pm
According to GMaps it's 43 mins without traffic to the proposed office location (Whalley). I'd be hoping to be closer.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 07:02:36 pm
Ok. If you want to minimise travel time - work out how many times you go to the wall x travel time and number of times you visit the office x travel time etc...

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#4 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 07:18:11 pm
I live in Burnley, great central location for everywhere. Boulderuk is really for bouldering, you have Westview in Preston that has routes and boulders also i have a board in Nelson you could come and train at.

It's good for getting everywhere, 1hr ish to the lakes, peak, yorkshire with north wales also in good reach. 

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#5 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 07:28:50 pm
Clitheroe's ok, lived there for 18 months albeit 15ish years ago. You can actually get to Malham/Kilnsey (or Almscliff, etc) in summer for evening sessions so you're not just limited to Longridge.  Plus there's the quarries, which aren't Millstone, but do have some great routes.

Preston could be worth considering if you prefer something bigger than village life, lots of new housing around J.31A that would put you in Whalley in around 20 minutes or around J.32 that would add five minutes.

And You're right reasonable for N.Wales and Lakes, a distance but large chunks on motorway.

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 07:34:10 pm
Ok. If you want to minimise travel time - work out how many times you go to the wall x travel time and number of times you visit the office x travel time etc...

I guess that's the thing to do when the location is firmly pinned down and the other questions we have are answered/confirmed.

Peewee - thanks for the training offer. You never know I could  be taking you up on that shortly!

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 07:39:41 pm
Following on from Nai - some ok commuter town/villages around Preston etc..

Dolly

• forum hero
#8 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 07:46:43 pm
Ive got a mate who lives in Worston just outside Clitheroe. Its a lovely place with great view of Pendle Hill and there are some great pubs/restauarants near there.
Isnt there a reasonable amount of "new" stuff in the new Lancs bouldering guide ?
Its only a quick bomb along the A59 to Skipton as well.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#9 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 07:53:50 pm
Iodnt think you've sprogged yet, but don't ignore the area around Bolton, particularly Bolton School (get em in early)

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 07:57:32 pm
Iodnt think you've sprogged yet

We haven't and it's not on the cards. People may smirk reading this (or quote it in X years time) but show Nat a child and look at the face she pulls if you want confirmation.

We will be getting a cat. I'm told it'll be a rescue cat, the old, nutty one that nobody else wants to take home. I can live with that.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#11 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 08:08:47 pm
How about Hebden way? Not too far to Clitheroe and within striking distance of Leeds (esp Depot) ?
Striking distance? Maybe for a lanky git like you!

BoulderUK is as good as you can get over that side. As 'first generation born out of Burnley' in my family, I can't really see much of an attraction to living in Burnley. It's having a lot of investment into making it look smarter, but it's super busy to get through. Cheap living though. I think Mr and Mrs Buys live there? Worth asking their opinion.

I have really good friends in Downham. Super picturesque.
If it was me I'd live in Skipton and commute to Whalley. Great for lime, routing in Harrogate, and a better option for hitting the depot. Skipton got voted as one of the best places to live in the country didn't it?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#12 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 08:09:31 pm

Peewee - thanks for the training offer. You never know I could  be taking you up on that shortly!

Dunno if you've heard its reputation Paul, but peewee's setup is a cut above the average garage woody! Unofficial schoolroom of lancs...? ;)

As others have said, west view in Preston does routes. Boulder Uk just bouldering, but they do have a circuit board. Anywhere within striking distance of manchester and you'd have sizeable routes and bouldering walls, but the traffic can be terrible in rush hour.

If you live near Clitheroe you've also got several decent bowland grit crags to play on. Mostly long walk ins, but Thorn Crag is fantastic, and there are some brilliant problems elsewhere if you put the legwork in. Tons of trad in the quarries of course. I hear it's pretty good. Can be a bit seepy over the winter months though.

Stubbs

#13 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 08:16:30 pm
Whalley is only half hour from Skipton, stay the right side of the border my friend :)

Teaboy

• forum hero
#14 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 08:21:05 pm
The only draw back is the lack of a decent wall, BoulderUK is ok but not very big and there's no circuit board or training board. Preston's pretty close for routes but you'd soon get bored I think.

Otherwise it's great (if you're happy living out of the city). The countryside is under rated,  getting to Longridge, Yorks lime, some yorks grit is easy (and Trowbarrow), plenty of gastro-ish pubs (the Ribble valley is surprisingly well to do), lots of nice villages (check out Downham and Waddington) and I believe the road biking is good if that's your bag. I moved to rural Lancs 3 years ago and love it - but then I'm a fair bit older than you so country pubs, nice villages and road biking suit my demograph!

r-man

• forum hero
#15 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 08:25:40 pm
There is a circuit board. At least , it usually has a circuit on it. Isn't there an 8a at the moment? And another circuit that loops round most of the upstairs room.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#16 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 08:26:53 pm
I can never do more than two moves on any circuit set on the steep wall upstairs so fmaybe that's why I don't consider it a circuit board! Traversing the whole room I always find a bit  unsatisfactory.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 08:32:34 pm by Teaboy »

r-man

• forum hero
#17 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 08:30:11 pm
Well ok. Two circuits. How many circuits do you need? I'm not a router so I have no idea.

Paul B

• forum hero
#18 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 08:33:12 pm
The only draw back is the lack of a decent wall, BoulderUK is ok but not very big and there's no circuit board or training board. Preston's pretty close for routes but you'd soon get bored I think.

Otherwise it's great (if you're happy living out of the city). The countryside is under rated,  getting to Longridge, Yorks lime, some yorks grit is easy (and Trowbarrow), plenty of gastro-ish pubs (the Ribble valley is surprisingly well to do), lots of nice villages (check out Downham and Waddington) and I believe the road biking is good if that's your bag. I moved to rural Lancs 3 years ago and love it - but then I'm a fair bit older than you so country pubs, nice villages and road biking suit my demograph!

I think after finding you on the upper tier hiding from the crowds we might just be kindred spirits  ;D . In all seriousness, I think we both feel that we use the benefits of the city less and less (although it's proximity to the Peak really does come into it's own during the summer).

I'm not into road biking yet. I got very close to buying one (after yet another finger injury) but stopped myself after thinking I'd likely end up under the axle of a large truck. The money then funded a significant portion of a 6 month climbing trip.

The lack of circuit board / training board is a bit of a pain. However, that can be factored into property in some way shape or form, it just needs to not be utter rubbish or like a lot of home walls it simply won't get used.

R-man / Peewee - pics?

Whalley is only half hour from Skipton, stay the right side of the border my friend :)

How's traffic? I really hate sitting in a car going nowhere repeatedly.

R-man, is there a traditional board? i.e. holds that stay put for vast portions of time.

abarro81

• forum hero
#19 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 09:04:51 pm
Having seen pics of Peewee's setup on facebook, I can confirm it looks dope

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#20 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 09:22:48 pm
A good road links Skipton and Whalley, but you'd be hard pushed to average mor than 40mph at rush hour. It flows though so you won't be sat in endless queues

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#21 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 09:45:04 pm
Pete's board even has close access to a local paper shop, here they sell ear plugs and air freshner.

There is location, 2 mins from the m65, 15 mins from buk, 15 mins to virtually any of the good quarries in lancs, 20 mins from petes, 20 mins from bolton, 20 mins from preston, 25 to longridge, 45 to malham, 1.20 to langdales, 1.50 to beris, anything from 1.30-infinity to the peak, if you stuck a pin in a map and said center of access to uk climbing, this would be it, you can get a terrace for under £40k, it has additives in the water that give you the ability to traverse really well, some cracking boozers (if you squint)... this promised land is called Darwen..   :whistle:

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#22 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 09:48:23 pm
Seriously, could be worth a look at some of surrounding areas near by, Egerton, Tockholes, Brinscall etc...  fairly well priced and not full of riff raff types

account_inactive

• forum hero
#23 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 09:50:24 pm
We live on the border in Blacko.....but are moving to Whalley

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#24 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 09, 2014, 10:47:44 pm

R-man / Peewee - pics?

Added you on Facebook so you can see the setup.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal