UKBouldering.com

Inverness bouldering (Read 12276 times)

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#25 Re: Inverness bouldering
May 04, 2015, 08:26:00 am
Moss dab on Richie's Thing, back around! Scatwell looks cool.
Busted! 

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#26 Re: Inverness bouldering
May 04, 2015, 12:02:36 pm
Bouldering around Inverness videos, did someone say?

(probably should compile these things at some point)

andy_e

• forum hero
#27 Re: Inverness bouldering
May 05, 2015, 08:53:16 am
Managed to sneak out on Saturday morning for a few problems at Ruthven. What an incredible place! The Dude is possibly one of the best problems I've done anywhere. Had a bit of trouble working out what went where from the Stone Country guide and only managed a few problems because of a) skin b) wanting to go and see if any Slavonian grebes were hanging around and c) wanting to get back and drink beer.

The music was far better than I thought it was going to be, I thought it was going to all be superficially profound funk-punk-folk hipster shit sung by acoustic guitar-wielding top-knotters who think their beard is a significant contribution to culture and society. Whilst there was some of that, there was also some more traditional Gaelic folk which is great to dance to.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#28 Re: Inverness bouldering
May 05, 2015, 09:08:28 am
Were there any grebes around that day, Andy?

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#29 Re: Inverness bouldering
May 05, 2015, 09:40:42 am
Nice one Andy.  Glad to hear the delights of Inver-stress were enjoyed.  On a musical tip, I went to see Public Service Broadcasting in town on Friday night.  Well good.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#30 Re: Inverness bouldering
May 05, 2015, 10:22:34 am
Good you got out. Ruthven is brilliant isn't it. The whole valley is good if spread out. Yeah the climbing can be tough on the skin and the SC guide....is partially accurate.

On a musical tip, I went to Twisted's Darkside night on Friday and saw Dolphin, Neophyte, The Outside Agency, Dr Peacock, and Destructive Tendencies. Well fucking banging.

andy_e

• forum hero
#31 Re: Inverness bouldering
May 05, 2015, 11:51:44 am
Where does The Big Lebowski go? I didn't try it because I couldn't work it out... SC says go around the arete and get a sidepull, then up left to a crescent crimp. I couldn't see a sidepull or a crescent crimp around the arete at all!

As for Barry Manilow, I didn't understand what to do, I could see the starting glued flakes, then do you traverse right to some jugs under the nose, then up the nose? The guide says no jugs but I had trouble discerning what was a jug and what was a good hold...

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#32 Re: Inverness bouldering
May 05, 2015, 01:37:44 pm
Lebowski: same sit start as the dude and then traverse the rail rightwards and go up at the end of the rail at the vague arete.  Everyone does top section differently.

Manilow: don't think you start as far left as the glued flakes. You basically go up slightly rightwards to near (!) the jugs on the next problem then back left round the bulge.  Its a massive grovel.

Hamfunk

• regular
#33 Re: Inverness bouldering
May 05, 2015, 04:55:03 pm
Bit late to the party but no official topo for Primrose Bay yet. There should be enough info on UKC to work out where everything is though.

GazM, while on the topic of Big Lewbowski is this roughly it? What I did definitely doesn't agree with SC guide.

andy_e

• forum hero
#34 Re: Inverness bouldering
May 05, 2015, 08:17:37 pm
That's what I thought looked the logical line but it didn't go around the arete like SC says. I should have tried it really! Never mind, something to go back for.

That perch move off the sidepull to the jug on The Dude is awesome!

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#35 Re: Inverness bouldering
May 05, 2015, 09:45:39 pm

GazM, while on the topic of Big Lewbowski is this roughly it? What I did definitely doesn't agree with SC guide.

Yeah, that's it.  The meat of the problem is the traverse of the rail and then moving a wee bit up and right. At the point it kicks back  to vertical (from about 0:53 in the vid) it all gets a bit vague and you can go leftish (as per the vid), rightish round the arete or straight up.  I don't think it really matters which way as they're all much for muchness and the hard bit is over.

However, there's bound to be an old school gnarler lurking round here who'll tell you I'm talking sh**t.

Hamfunk

• regular
#36 Re: Inverness bouldering
May 06, 2015, 09:10:00 am
Yeah, that's it.  The meat of the problem is the traverse of the rail and then moving a wee bit up and right. At the point it kicks back  to vertical (from about 0:53 in the vid) it all gets a bit vague and you can go leftish (as per the vid), rightish round the arete or straight up.  I don't think it really matters which way as they're all much for muchness and the hard bit is over.

However, there's bound to be an old school gnarler lurking round here who'll tell you I'm talking sh**t.

Cheers, that's what I thought.

Also tried Outstanding in the dark at new year with no spotters and couldn't commit to the damp slopey topout! Next time..... next time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal