UKBouldering.com

Ice Bucket Challenge - Opinions? (Read 2150 times)

Oliver Hill

Ice Bucket Challenge - Opinions?
August 27, 2014, 11:17:31 am
So the ice bucket challenge is EVERYWHERE! - Opinions people. . . . . good idea, completely stupid, waste of water, great way to raise money and awareness to a good cause or shows the human population are retarded sheep who all move in packs following each other? ? ?

galpinos

• forum hero
#1 Re: Ice Bucket Challenge - Opinions?
August 27, 2014, 11:44:21 am
Seems to be good thing? The ice bucket was meant to symbolise (in the broadest sense) the loss of muscular control caused by motor neuron disease, it went viral and has raised a lot of money for the respective charities. It seems a shame that other charities have high jacked it and I’m sure plenty of people have lost sight of what it’s about and don’t donate but that’s by the by and people get to feel good about themselves by proving they are a caring human being on their social media profiles.

abarro81

• forum hero
#2 Re: Ice Bucket Challenge - Opinions?
August 27, 2014, 11:57:56 am
and people get to feel good about themselves by proving they are a caring human being on their social media profiles.

You say that like it's necessarily a good thing?

I tend to think that if people are donating then it's fine, but most that pop up on my facebook don't even mention what you're supposed to be donating to, whether the participant donated, how to donate etc.. and I suspect in many cases they just poured a bucket of ice over their heads and didn't give anyone any money. Which is probably quite fun, but doesn't make you a "caring human being" in any way shape or form. I had to google to find out anything about what it was supposed to be about because so many came up on my feed before there was one with any info. The concept of 'do it or donate' seems moronic, though hopefully most people forego that part.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Ice Bucket Challenge - Opinions?
August 27, 2014, 12:05:45 pm
With a close family member recently diagnosed with MND, raising funds and profile can only be a good thing. But as alex  mentions, I hope eveyone is actually donating, and I think it's a shame that other charities have jumped on the bandwagon, as the intent behind the icebucket and what it's supposed to represent is becoming lost.

galpinos

• forum hero
#4 Re: Ice Bucket Challenge - Opinions?
August 27, 2014, 12:14:26 pm
and people get to feel good about themselves by proving they are a caring human being on their social media profiles.
You say that like it's necessarily a good thing?

Sorry, I wasn’t saying it was a good thing, just that it is part of the motivation as to why people do it.

I’m sure plenty of people don’t donate but the ALS charity in the states and the MNDA (as well as other charities, some MND related and some not) have both said they’ve seen massive increases in donations and it has, with some people, raised awareness.
Pretty much all the videos on my facebook feed mention donations (not all to MNDA). Maybe you need better friends? I bet Three Nine does the challenge and donates to CAC instead of MDNA.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#5 Re: Ice Bucket Challenge - Opinions?
August 27, 2014, 12:38:48 pm
...I think it's a shame that other charities have jumped on the bandwagon, as the intent behind the icebucket and what it's supposed to represent is becoming lost.
I think the Gaza rubble bucket challenge is a clever appropriation of the meme and no bad thing

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: Ice Bucket Challenge - Opinions?
August 27, 2014, 01:13:28 pm
I've never heard of it until now, but yes I do agree on that one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal