UKBouldering.com

IFSC boulder world championships 2014 (Read 19760 times)

psychomansam

• forum hero
Bleh, tried to start watching the stream from the start 1 1/2 hours behind, and the whole thing bloody stopped when the live stream finished. How long will it take to get the replays up?? Semis seemed to be up super quick....

Up now.

Great comp. Was rooting for Wurm a bit towards the end. A good day for Michaela. Not so great for Shauna. Was the shoulder tape symptomatic of something, or was it just her head?

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
Brillant to watch and great to see Michaela in the final. :2thumbsup:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Forgive me for being, errr, dense, but whereabouts is the VOD up? Can't find it on the IFSC site nor their Youtube channel nor generally searching Youtube nor the over-caffeinated sugary drink company TV site although I gave up quickly with the latter obviously.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
Forgive me for being, errr, dense, but whereabouts is the VOD up? Can't find it on the IFSC site nor their Youtube channel nor generally searching Youtube nor the over-caffeinated sugary drink company TV site although I gave up quickly with the latter obviously.

It's hosted on the over-caffeinated sugary drink company site here - think I basically found it through blind luck earlier!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Thanks. I did search over-caffeinated sugary drink company TV for "IFSC" and checked their events listing for "climbing" and "bouldering" with no luck, blind or otherwise.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
like Dense said, they don't make it easy to find. It also cut off for me when I was watching the PVR version.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Was the shoulder tape symptomatic of something

Apropos shoulder tape, I saw the Japanese team physio ice packing and strapping Melissa's shoulder after the semi. Heartening to see that the general friendliness and mutual encouragement that is obvious among the competitors at these events also extends to the support teams.

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
thought all the problems looked great and couldnt really better set any better difficulty wise, also though it was a shame that all the mens problems revolved around big voluming...

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
thought all the problems looked great and couldnt really better set any better difficulty wise

Agree, as shown by the close-as-anything results - one attempt winning margin in the ladies - and the men's world champion being the only person with four tops.

Top bit for the live audience was probably the penultimate comedy "hold" on F3. By the time Pooch got on F3, the entire crowd was sitting there thinking "we know, and you don't know, that you're going to cruise to the bonus, and the hold after it, then touch the 'hold' after that and recoil in shock and disappointment to look for another sequence". Which was exactly what everybody did, although nobody found one that actually worked. Also refreshing, wrt Mex's other comment about volumes, that these alternative sequences involved desperate finger swapping on a crimp.

All in all, I don't go to many live sporting events and my son only occasionally climbs, but we both found it an absolutely fantastic day out. Interesting setting, great atmosphere in the crowd, super close and exciting competition. Having a home winner is obviously a plus, but climbers don't make for an especially nationalistic crowd and everybody was getting cheered to the rafters for everything. We found the gap between semis and final a bit long, but I assume the competitors didn't ...

a dense loner

• forum hero
Very good comp, best I've seen. Even though I only got to Alex's 2nd attempt on prob 3 in the final, damn work.
I do find it ridiculous that it's an ifsc comp and there websites shit, you'd think on the home page that day they'd have a big banner saying "World Cup comp today get it here". Why people would need to go through a over-caffeinated sugary drink company site is beyond me.

Durbs

• forum hero
Once Shauna was out of the running, I was rooting for Pooch - she was on great form, nailed the slab AND the run 'n jump which are usually her nemeses - a win for her is well overdue.

Good comp though - shame no Kili & Rustrum.

At first I was disappointed they'd set a run & jump, as they usually seem to either be complete stoppers, or just easy ways to split the bunch by racking up loads of attempts, but it  seemed to work well this time and made for an excting last problem.

Don't think Shauna was particularly off her game, just out-climbed on the day.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Just caught up on Youtube, great viewing. I didn't think the problems were as good as some of the earlier ones esp. the American/Canadian ones but still a good variety and there were some very tense moments - a lot of sweaty tips watching that. Ondra schooling M1, the Wurm / Hojer simul-flash on whatever problem it was, and the brutality of W3, great stuff.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Why people would need to go through a over-caffeinated sugary drink company site is beyond me.

Possibly because over-caffeinated sugary drink company pay for the privilege.

a dense loner

• forum hero
do they? i must have had my eyes closed. i looked at the ifsc sponsors in case that was the case and it just said enterprise walls and kaisis (whatever that shits called)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
When did I say they are a sponsor.

They pay to film/produce the event and to host the live coverage on their website.

psychomansam

• forum hero
Just to back up what everyone else has said (any problem-setters reading this?), the problem setting looked really good. The cameramen could've given us a few more close-ups on the M4 crimps, but I don't think it was overly volume based as these things go either.
F3 = everyone reaching the bonus and failing to complete. This is usually indicative of poor setting. But it was so entertaining watching them all look disgusted by the penultimate hold that it was totally worth it. And you can afford one dud when the other 3 break the pack so well.

:clap2:

Paul B

• forum hero
Just to back up what everyone else has said (any problem-setters reading this?), the problem setting looked really good.

In general it looked great but the whole run and jump start thing is getting a bit old if you ask me (which I'm aware nobody did). Especially if it appears to be the crux and the problem on top is a 'formality'.

I'd rather see people struggling with the climbing than taking their 10th run-up but maybe that's just me  :-\

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
Michaela was the only one to try the proper sequence  :P

finbarrr

• obsessive maniac
Just to back up what everyone else has said (any problem-setters reading this?), the problem setting looked really good.

In general it looked great but the whole run and jump start thing is getting a bit old if you ask me (which I'm aware nobody did). Especially if it appears to be the crux and the problem on top is a 'formality'.

I'd rather see people struggling with the climbing than taking their 10th run-up but maybe that's just me  :-\

totally agree
i really enjoyed the comp, as i do most of em, but the run and jumps belong somewhere else (in parkours/freerunning comps?).
complicated movements are great, but who has ever done a run and jump on real rock AND thought "wow, what a great climb/boulder"?

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
but who has ever done a run and jump on real rock AND thought "wow, what a great climb/boulder"?

Some on here have, or at least attempted it. Andy Popp's stag do at Ravensheugh, everyone was trying a new route/problem that involved a running start :-)

finbarrr

• obsessive maniac
but who has ever done a run and jump on real rock AND thought "wow, what a great climb/boulder"?

Some on here have, or at least attempted it. Andy Popp's stag do at Ravensheugh, everyone was trying a new route/problem that involved a running start :-)

crap, there goes that argument  :-\

still think it doesn't belong in almost every boulder-final
plus i feel guilty when i have to laugh when the competitors take awkward slams (akiyo missing the foot-volume twice)

a dense loner

• forum hero
When did I say they are a sponsor.

They pay to film/produce the event and to host the live coverage on their website.
ah right ok. for some reason i just assumed that if you were going to film something and put it on your site that you'd sponsor it in some way. is this one of the reasons that the ifsc site is kept shit and has been since its inception? so they can hire it out to others

JackAus

• junky
Highlights.

Durbs

• forum hero
F3 = everyone reaching the bonus and failing to complete. This is usually indicative of poor setting. But it was so entertaining watching them all look disgusted by the penultimate hold that it was totally worth it. And you can afford one dud when the other 3 break the pack so well.

I think Akiyo's final attempt would've gone - RH on the volume, LH up to the crimp, then to the top - skipping the terrible hold. Ran out of time though.
Interesting that the route setters said it was the easiest one of the 4 - was everyone doing duff beta?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
The likeliest explanation is that the last hold was put on slightly the wrong way.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal