UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307671 times)

T_B

• forum hero
#425 Re: Fell running
April 19, 2016, 09:20:34 am
:oops:
TB - Good training in the Peak for those Lakeland slogs are reps up Win Hill via Parkin Clough.

Get well soon Wintermute.

I've got a long weekend coming up reccing the South Downs Way 100 over 3 days. Should give me a good idea of what I've let myself in for.
didn't know you'd put in for that Plattsy?! Did UTPD not put you off distance running for good? Hopefully you'll not have a moment this year but given how well you train I'm sure it'll go great. Let me know if you want to do any steady long days in the Peak as planning on doing the HPM route alone/myself this summer given it was cancelled in March
I've been keeping it a little under wraps. If the UTPD didn't put me off I think this will. Training is a lot harder this year. I'd be up for the HPM one weekend around mid to late May.

Do you listen to the Ultrarunner podcasts Plattsy? The recent one with Gary Robbins about Barkley was pretty fascinating I thought in terms of the mental aspect of these long races. From the comfort of my total punter armchair of course.

http://ultrarunnerpodcast.com/category/podcasts/

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#426 Re: Fell running
April 19, 2016, 04:32:56 pm
Llantysilio end of March in rotten weather, character building or something. Number for the Excalibur Marathon today - 21 May in the Clwyds. Not fit for the distance, so I'll be bodging. Again. Ran a couple of times on holiday in Spain last week without proper maps - unfamiliar landscape meant I'd lost the sense of scale and oddly couldn't really tell whether I'd climbed 800' or 1800'. Luckily nearer the latter :)

Stabbsy

• junky
#427 Re: Fell running
April 19, 2016, 05:11:57 pm
I've just broken my ankle and spent the morning emailing race organisers to remove me from entry lists.

Sorry to hear that Chris. Thought it was your knee that had gone?

As for me, highlight of the year so far was High Cup Nick, plus enjoyed the spectacle of Black Combe. Also had an encouraging run round Blubberhouses 25 a few weeks back. Slight gap in training as I'm just back from a week climbing in Siurana, but had a good run in the moors yesterday to check my legs still work and it's now less than 2 weeks to my first big target for the year - 3 Peaks in sub-4 hours.

After that I've got Up The Nab and Leg 2 of Calderdale relay for my club then I'm going climbing for a few months with the odd race thrown in (Kinder Trog anyone?).

wintermute

• menacing presence
#428 Re: Fell running
April 19, 2016, 05:54:59 pm
Think the knee was just IT band pain, most likely from overdoing it the last few weeks. Annoying I couldn't run the Waltz but probably wasn't anything major. Least of my concerns now!

HCN was something special. Good luck for the 3 Peaks (and the rest).

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#429 Re: Fell running
April 19, 2016, 10:22:08 pm
We really ought to assemble a UKB Fell Team! Would definitely be keen to enter some relays as such. If anyone is keen, vest design is one of my main interests....

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#430 Re: Fell running
April 19, 2016, 10:40:06 pm
I'd be up for that, could be interesting! Think I might hold most of you back though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plattsy

• forum hero
#431 Re: Fell running
April 20, 2016, 11:42:02 am
BTOL - How's one day on weekend 21/22 May?

TB - Not listened to that podcast, will give a listen on the train down tomorrow thanks.

Came across this interesting article on overtraining syndrome. http://www.outsideonline.com/1986361/running-empty

Monolith - I'd be up for a UKB team. A formidable team of top heavy fell runners.

galpinos

• forum hero
#432 Re: Fell running
April 20, 2016, 12:50:08 pm
Anyone running Herod Farm tonight? First of the local mid-weekers, organised by Glossopdale?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#433 Re: Fell running
April 20, 2016, 01:23:17 pm
BTOL - How's one day on weekend 21/22 May?

TB - Not listened to that podcast, will give a listen on the train down tomorrow thanks.

Came across this interesting article on overtraining syndrome. http://www.outsideonline.com/1986361/running-empty

Monolith - I'd be up for a UKB team. A formidable team of top heavy fell runners. normal healthy males.

/Fixed that for ya.

Monolith

• forum hero
#434 Re: Fell running
April 20, 2016, 01:24:14 pm
I'd be up for that, could be interesting! Think I might hold most of you back though.

Monolith - I'd be up for a UKB team. A formidable team of top heavy fell runners.

Then there were 3 eh!? I'm afraid I have entirely disintegrated up top though Plattsy. Great for fell running, woeful for climbing!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#435 Re: Fell running
April 20, 2016, 02:24:30 pm
Woops, spoke too soon....

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#436 Re: Fell running
April 20, 2016, 11:09:02 pm
I'll check the calendar and let you know Plattsy, not sure what I've got on then but if I'm free then yes let's go for that.

galpinos

• forum hero
#437 Re: Fell running
April 21, 2016, 08:45:12 am
Anyone running Herod Farm tonight? First of the local mid-weekers, organised by Glossopdale?

I guess the answer to that was......no. My legs are not "hill fit", we'll see how the Downfall goes on Sunday.

Stabbsy

• junky
#438 Re: Fell running
April 21, 2016, 05:31:29 pm

I guess the answer to that was......no. My legs are not "hill fit", we'll see how the Downfall goes on Sunday.

Herod Farm was a bit too far to justify for an evening race (even though I'm Glossop born and bred). I'm intending to do a couple of the Peak evening races though - any on the Sheffield side are fairly easy for me to reach, so I've pencilled in Castleton, Salt Cellar and a couple of the Totley races as possibles.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#439 Re: Fell running
April 21, 2016, 07:11:57 pm
Castleton is perhaps my favourite summer evening race of the year. Will definitely be there again this year. I have to say the Totley ones are great too. I have to given I'm a club member though.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#440 Re: Fell running
April 26, 2016, 08:12:59 pm
just realised the burbage skyline is next week, I'm comfortably hitting 8 km in 44 mins up all the hills in graves park... hilliest possible route... could easy do 42 mins if i didnt run it when the park is busy.... will I die? I just want to finish!!c'mon... say it how it is, I'm an old man, and it's a bucket list thing...

Plattsy

• forum hero
#441 Re: Fell running
April 26, 2016, 08:41:46 pm
You'll be reight. There is a right mêlée in the first few hundred yards dropping down to and then across the river. Take it steady and you'll get round. You won't be the oldest or the slowest.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#442 Re: Fell running
April 26, 2016, 08:58:11 pm
YYFY, if I can get there after work.. I'm going for it! great advice mate, very grateful

DWTJ

#443 Re: Fell running
April 26, 2016, 10:50:10 pm
What Plattsy said...

T_B

• forum hero
#444 Re: Fell running
April 27, 2016, 06:38:06 am
Do it Fatdoc, you'll be fine. I did my first fell race last month and whilst there's a competitive element, at the back there were loads of folk who clearly just wanted to have fun and get round. My guess is Burbage will be similar as it's close to Sheffield and much of the route will be familiar to anyone who has ever pulled on a pair of shoes to run int Peak. I'm doing it  :).

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#445 Re: Fell running
April 27, 2016, 08:50:51 am
Definitely do it Fatdoc! It's a brilliant race and great atmosphere. I'll definitely be doing it as missed it last year due to work getting in the way. I'll be there nice and early so maybe bump in to a few of you too

galpinos

• forum hero
#446 Re: Fell running
April 27, 2016, 09:58:47 am
I'd be there but will be away at Center Parcs that week.

galpinos

• forum hero
#447 Re: Fell running
April 27, 2016, 10:10:52 am

Did any UKBers do the Downfall apart from erm,sam and myself?

Stabbsy

• junky
#448 Re: Fell running
April 27, 2016, 10:20:42 am

Did any UKBers do the Downfall apart from erm,sam and myself?
Gave up my entry and did an XC race near Holmfirth instead. It's on the list for next year. How was it - I heard the weather wasn't that great? I'm planning on doing Kinder Trog in June - bit longer at 17 miles but covers some of the same ground.

Monolith

• forum hero
#449 Re: Fell running
April 27, 2016, 10:31:06 am
Had planned to do the Coniston race this weekend but now tempted either for a longer day out in Snowdonia or a non-race circuit in the Lake District. Anybody have designs on this weekend?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal