UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307722 times)

Brannock

• regular
#400 Re: Fell running
March 14, 2016, 04:20:05 pm
Edale felt tough, really hard going over brown knoll and kinder, very wet/boggy/snowy. All the hard terrain is in the second half, the section over Kinder from Jacobs ladder to the end drags on forever. Good day to be out though, perfect running weather and a great atmosphere. Pretty pleased to get round in just under 4 hours (3.58), not done much fell running over the winter and a half marathon last weekend, still bit annoyed to be 3 minutes slower than last year though which was in horrific weather. Went full on Mark Twight with the energy gels (one every 20 mins) which worked well, combined with pacing myself, felt OK through out, nice not to feel utterly broken at the end of a long race.

Apparently the MV45 winner did Black Combe the day before :bow:

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#401 Re: Fell running
March 14, 2016, 04:21:17 pm
That Strava fly-by is just brilliant :)

I forgot to mention that Wendy Dodds was lost with us. I had to laugh given that I've been following her training plan for two months from the book she wrote. She left us, went AWOL and then timed out between the checkpoints I hear.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#402 Re: Fell running
March 14, 2016, 04:49:36 pm
I forgot to mention that Wendy Dodds was lost with us. I had to laugh given that I've been following her training plan for two months from the book she wrote. She left us, went AWOL and then timed out between the checkpoints I hear.

You didn't have to follow quite so literally :)
I was running alongside her on the Navigation leg of the relays one year and was impressed by her micro-navigation that day. We dropped her a couple of times only for her pair to pop up again taking slightly better lines. Nice clear day then tho!

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#403 Re: Fell running
March 14, 2016, 08:20:02 pm
Quote from: Monolith link=topic=24552.msg516603#msg516603
Take a look at the Strava flyby for extra shits and giggles! I'm taking the extra summit tick as you can see!
There's a great graphic on the Fell Running Briefs twitter feed (can't get to Twitter at work, sorry) that shows all the Strava lines round CP3 and on the last descent. Some people had a long day out!

Saw that twitter link, actual flyby's way more entertaining though - can't but not have Benny Hill's chase music playing in my head whenever I use that Strava feature!!

Must say, I've been pretty lame when it comes to learning nav', and have only ever followed fellow runners in races. Had I done Combes, I could have got into some real bother if I'm being brutally honest. Really need to sort this shit out, especially as one of my best mates is a trained mountain leader instructor that owes me a favour or two!!!

Sounds like a fun weekend was had all round!

Monolith

• forum hero
#404 Re: Fell running
March 15, 2016, 09:41:27 am
I'm very likely to do the Yr Aran race this Saturday. Anybody else pencilled this one in?

http://www.run-meirionnydd.co.uk/ourraces.html

chris20

• menacing presence
#405 Re: Fell running
March 15, 2016, 09:55:23 am
Must say, I've been pretty lame when it comes to learning nav', and have only ever followed fellow runners in races. Had I done Combes, I could have got into some real bother if I'm being brutally honest. Really need to sort this shit out, especially as one of my best mates is a trained mountain leader instructor that owes me a favour or two!!!

Dave Taylor (fell running guide) often has bits of advice on navigation which pop up on my facebook feed with links to his website.  I think he runs for dark peak and does training sessions for them, I met him when he was running the recce of the UTPD and he was giving us good bits of advice then.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#406 Re: Fell running
March 16, 2016, 07:17:13 am
Dave Taylor (fell running guide) often has bits of advice on navigation which pop up on my facebook feed with links to his website.  I think he runs for dark peak and does training sessions for them, I met him when he was running the recce of the UTPD and he was giving us good bits of advice then.

Cheers for the heads up, I'd forgotten about this guy. I had been looking at the FRA Nav' courses, but this guy could be a bit more local - gutted I can't make his next courses in April, but will probably contact him anyway.

A few interesting tips in the link you included, especially overshooting.

Monolith

• forum hero
#407 Re: Fell running
March 21, 2016, 10:04:49 am
Did many manage to get out racing this weekend? Plenty of options available now Spring is arriving. I did the Yr Aran one near Bala and will definitely be doing it again. Absolutely stunning setting and one of the nicest routes I think I've ever ran. Add it to your list for next year!

T_B

• forum hero
#408 Re: Fell running
March 21, 2016, 10:44:39 am
Yes! Wolf's Pit. What a beautiful day and superb event. My first ever race so had no expectations. Started off at the back obviously, passed lots of people on the climb, then about half a dozen folk passed me on the flat sections, held my own on the descents, then got past the half dozen folk on the final sting in the tail climb. It's clear where my strengths lie - walking uphill  ::) The final descent was just mad - I thought I was going to explode. Virtually crawled into the finishing field but mustered a vague sprint to the finish. 1hr1min which I was chuffed with as was hoping to get close to an hour. Not seen results yet but I wasn't last. My legs (and dodgy ankle) feeling surprisingly OK this morning, though overall bit of a comedown no doubt due to the huge massive endorphin spike. Psyched!

T_B

• forum hero
#409 Re: Fell running
March 21, 2016, 11:40:35 am
Anyone done Buttermere Sailbeck? I can get away that w/e and fancy aiming for something longer int Lakes (my mum lives in Cockermouth, so I'm not unfamiliar with the terrain).

Monolith

• forum hero
#410 Re: Fell running
March 21, 2016, 02:18:41 pm
Yes! Wolf's Pit. What a beautiful day and superb event. My first ever race so had no expectations. Started off at the back obviously, passed lots of people on the climb, then about half a dozen folk passed me on the flat sections, held my own on the descents, then got past the half dozen folk on the final sting in the tail climb. It's clear where my strengths lie - walking uphill  ::) The final descent was just mad - I thought I was going to explode. Virtually crawled into the finishing field but mustered a vague sprint to the finish. 1hr1min which I was chuffed with as was hoping to get close to an hour. Not seen results yet but I wasn't last. My legs (and dodgy ankle) feeling surprisingly OK this morning, though overall bit of a comedown no doubt due to the huge massive endorphin spike. Psyched!

Awesome stuff. You appear to be eliciting precisely the same heady joy as I experienced in my first race last year. I reckon you'll become addicted!  ;D

I purchased the map for Buttermere Sailbeck and have pencilled it in. That said, I'm quickly learning that rather than try to race every weekend, I might be better off recceing half the amount and getting the good racing lines. In any event, I'm 100% doing the Anniversary Waltz which is one of our Club races. Have heard good things!

Off up Goatfell on the Isle of Arran this coming weekend. Looking forward to exploring the Hebrides a little further.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#411 Re: Fell running
March 21, 2016, 02:56:59 pm
Anyone done Buttermere Sailbeck? I can get away that w/e and fancy aiming for something longer int Lakes (my mum lives in Cockermouth, so I'm not unfamiliar with the terrain).
Yep and it's a beast! Tough hill followed by quick downhill followed by a lung bursting climb to Causey Pike followed by another climb and then a long, tough solid fast descent.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#412 Re: Fell running
March 21, 2016, 07:13:43 pm
Yes! Wolf's Pit. What a beautiful day and superb event. My first ever race so had no expectations....
 ....Psyched!

Glad you enjoyed it. That first climb is a toughie, as is the descent down the same, but a good introduction none the less. As Monolith aid, you'll soon become addicted.

I did the Chicken Run from Hayfield. Small race in comparison to Wolfs, maybe eighty runners, from the local primary school out onto the flanks of Kinder on very runnable slopes. Kinda epitomises what fell running is all about; low key, organised & run by local people for a local cause, cheap as chips, good cake and a bit of banter and a handshake with your fellow close runners at the finishing line.

Rivington Pike next for me. One of the oldest, dating back to pre 1900O, and always held on Easter Saturday. One of the shortest around too, at only 5km, so pretty full on, making it the easiest way to earn your beer tokens for the days efforts ;-)

Monolith

• forum hero
#413 Re: Fell running
April 18, 2016, 02:39:16 pm
How's the season going for everybody? Managed a good few races this season now and really enjoying it.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#414 Re: Fell running
April 18, 2016, 02:40:49 pm
I'm looking forwards to the Kinder Downfall on Sunday...

wintermute

• menacing presence
#415 Re: Fell running
April 18, 2016, 02:52:56 pm
I've just broken my ankle and spent the morning emailing race organisers to remove me from entry lists.

My first full year of running was shaping up pretty well until that point!

Just hoping I can recover enough to get round Glencoe and Mourne skylines and some of the later summer fell races, even if it's not at a very competitive pace.

T_B

• forum hero
#416 Re: Fell running
April 18, 2016, 03:00:28 pm
I've entered Buttermere-Sailbeck so am training for that by getting as much ascent in as possible. Not that easy in the Peak, but I did a superb circuit yesterday around Derwent Edges (15km/800m ascent). Will also do Burbage Skyline but can't squeeze any other races in between now and 21 May.

I'd be interested in any advice for preparing for a Lakeland AM!? I'm putting a lot of emphasis on ascent, but as I've only really been running for 3 months I'm also trying to learn how to run! Doing some shorter 8-10Km runs on the road trying to increase my pace.

The main thing is I'm really enjoying it and feeling fitter/stronger every time I go out :dance1:

(That's sh*t wintermute)

galpinos

• forum hero
#417 Re: Fell running
April 18, 2016, 03:12:04 pm
I'm looking forwards to the Kinder Downfall on Sunday...

Are you really? I'm just hoping to survive after this weekend's outing has indicated a sub-par level of fitness.....

I'll be heading to Herod Farm on Wednesday for anyone fancying a mid week western peak AS race, the traditional Glossopdale Harriers race to kick off the mid-week race calendar.

https://glossopdaleharriers.wordpress.com/club-races/herod-farm-fell-race/

wintermute

• menacing presence
#418 Re: Fell running
April 18, 2016, 03:17:17 pm
Nothing is going to prepare you for that climb up Causey T_B! Must be one of the tougher AM's.

Ascent is obviously crucial but make sure you're happy on rocky descents too. The drops off Ard Crag and Whiteless are both steep and technical.

I did a recce of the route recently so let me know if you want a run down.

T_B

• forum hero
#419 Re: Fell running
April 18, 2016, 03:36:02 pm
Thanks wintermute. Sadly, I'm always gonna have to be cautious on descents due to previous broken heel/ankle weakness, but I think I'm reasonably OK on that sort of ground.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#420 Re: Fell running
April 18, 2016, 03:51:29 pm
TB - Good training in the Peak for those Lakeland slogs are reps up Win Hill via Parkin Clough.

Get well soon Wintermute.

I've got a long weekend coming up reccing the South Downs Way 100 over 3 days. Should give me a good idea of what I've let myself in for.

T_B

• forum hero
#421 Re: Fell running
April 18, 2016, 04:03:49 pm
TB - Good training in the Peak for those Lakeland slogs are reps up Win Hill via Parkin Clough.

Yep, that's what I have planned. Did Win-Lose-Win last weekend. Reps on that steep bit coming off Win down to Fullwood Stile Lane combined with Parkin Clough is on the plan for next week :)

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#422 Re: Fell running
April 18, 2016, 06:03:14 pm
 :oops:

I've got a long weekend coming up reccing the South Downs Way 100 over 3 days. Should give me a good idea of what I've let myself in for.
didn't know you'd put in for that Plattsy?! Did UTPD not put you off distance running for good? Hopefully you'll not have a moment this year but given how well you train I'm sure it'll go great. Let me know if you want to do any steady long days in the Peak as planning on doing the HPM route alone/myself this summer given it was cancelled in March

Plattsy

• forum hero
#423 Re: Fell running
April 19, 2016, 08:30:46 am
:oops:

didn't know you'd put in for that Plattsy?! Did UTPD not put you off distance running for good? Hopefully you'll not have a moment this year but given how well you train I'm sure it'll go great. Let me know if you want to do any steady long days in the Peak as planning on doing the HPM route alone/myself this summer given it was cancelled in March
I've been keeping it a little under wraps. If the UTPD didn't put me off I think this will. Training is a lot harder this year. I'd be up for the HPM one weekend around mid to late May.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#424 Re: Fell running
April 19, 2016, 08:42:39 am
Ok great, keep me posted. Even if we don't do HPM I'm happy to get out and do some long days in the hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal