UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307671 times)

Stabbsy

• junky
#200 Re: Fell running
January 08, 2015, 08:30:32 pm
First of the English Champs' entered last night - Flower Scar. If you keen, get in quick as the places are filling fast. Tme to get spanked again!!!

Blimey - Flower Scar full already! I've got a road 10k in Trafford the day after, so couldn't make it anyway. I'm thinking I'll pop my English Champs cherry at Guisborough 3 Tops in Sept - maybe a bit of local knowledge will help.

Got Marsden to Edale this Sunday. Woefully underprepared. And given it took me six hours last year I think it's going to be a painful day on the hills. Gulp.

Good luck - I ran the Bleaklow bit of the route in reverse on Christmas Day, it's going to be pretty boggy! Hope the weather's not too wild.

horn

• regular
#201 Re: Fell running
January 12, 2015, 01:39:58 pm
Any of you following the Spine Race? 268miles in this weather!  :jaw:
http://spine.opentracking.co.uk/race/

Looks absolutely horrendous, how on earth could you train for something like that?

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#202 Re: Fell running
January 12, 2015, 02:16:21 pm
I went to a little club talk from Charlie Sharpe on last year's Spine - I think he was 2nd in 2014. He had something completely nuts like 4h45' sleep over the whole thing. Either moving, eating or having his feet rebuilt the rest of the time. Bonkers.

tomtom

• forum hero
#203 Re: Fell running
January 12, 2015, 02:17:40 pm
Every time I see the thread title, I think its about someone who has fallen over whilst jogging...

Sorry. As you were...

Stabbsy

• junky
#204 Re: Fell running
January 12, 2015, 02:55:48 pm
Any of you following the Spine Race? 268miles in this weather!
http://spine.opentracking.co.uk/race/
Good website - hadn't spotted that. I wonder how much difference the time of year and direction makes for a record attempt - the PW record is apparently 2 days 17 hours and this lot are well over that already. Not sure what time of year that was though and I think it was done north to south.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#205 Re: Fell running
January 12, 2015, 08:57:46 pm
Spent some time over the weekend following an acquaintance on the tracker. He eventually came third in the shorter 108 mile 'Challenger' from Edale to Hawes.

Conditions did sound effing ridiculous - he was told by Mountain Rescue he wouldn't be allowed to tick Pen-y-ghent due to the 75mph winds!!! Tough aint the word!!!

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#206 Re: Fell running
January 12, 2015, 10:40:43 pm
Just recovering from Trigger race yesterday. If Saturday for the Spine race were worse conditions than on Sunday, which they were, then I can't imagine racing in that. Trigger itself was pretty rough, sections of 50mph headwinds on Bleaklow and Kinder, plus snow and an enforced longer route to prevent crossing the plateau near the end. So knocking off 8 minutes of the year before plus covering an extra 3km in those conditions is pretty good going. And to finish it off I ended up in minor injuries having a small hole in my shin stitched up after coming a cropper on Mill Hill flagstones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#207 Re: Fell running
January 15, 2015, 11:19:06 pm
Off to stay at the foot of Bamford Edge tomorrow for a few days. Taking my shoes (and possibly rock shoes) to cram in a good run on the Saturday if possible. Does anybody have any good route suggestions in the area?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#208 Re: Fell running
January 16, 2015, 07:16:55 am
Off to stay at the foot of Bamford Edge tomorrow for a few days. Taking my shoes (and possibly rock shoes) to cram in a good run on the Saturday if possible. Does anybody have any good route suggestions in the area?
spoilt for choice round Bamford really. Dependimg on how far you're wanting to run you can go along the top of Bamford edge over to Cutthroat Bridge and on to Derwent Edge. Or head west on to win Hill and along the ridge all the way to Kinder if you like. Or, south to Bradwell Edge, Shatton moor and over to Eyam and then back via Sir William Hill or to Grindleford and follow the river back.

DM me if you want more routes and I'll point you in the direction of my Movescount page which has lots of routes passing through Bamford.

Monolith

• forum hero
#209 Re: Fell running
January 21, 2015, 08:55:15 pm
Enjoyed a first foray out on Saturday across Bamford and beyond. Those More Mile Cheviot 2's are a bargain!

Has anybody any experience of running orthotics as a way of preventing ITB pain? Despite exercises/lunges etc, still seem can't to shift it. The Currexsole Runpro ones look good if so?

Monolith

• forum hero
#210 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2015, 09:30:09 am
After last week's first fell foray (how alliterative), I should have a window to head out this Saturday if I can finish a few jobs.

Just thought I'd ask the panel for location suggestions given recent conditions (preferably within 1hr 30m of Liverpool)? Happy to romp through a bit of snow and whatnot.

Stabbsy

• junky
#211 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2015, 10:25:26 am
How about Bleaklow or Roaches area? They should be within range, but no idea how much snow there is in the west.

andy_e

• forum hero
#212 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2015, 10:32:56 am
What about Winter Hill or Rivington Pike lid?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#213 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2015, 11:59:58 am
The Rivvy Pike and Winter Hill circuit should be fine. How far do you want to go?  PM me if you want any route details.

Monolith

• forum hero
#214 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2015, 02:08:15 pm
Cheers for the suggestions guys, GCW - you have mail.

richieb

• menacing presence
#215 Re: Fell running
February 03, 2015, 09:43:07 pm
Just want to thank Monolith for the More Mile Cheviot tip off. Got some in after reading this thread and they have been great on the snowy trails round here the last couple of weeks. I've never worn any proper fell shoes so I don't know how they compare but for the stuff I am doing they are spot on. Bargain!

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#216 Re: Fell running
March 21, 2015, 08:23:06 am
Anyone Peak based (or others) tempted by Wolfs Pit fell race tomorrow? It's just shy of 6 miles with 1500ft of climbing in there, so it'll be a tough little cookie. It's normally very well marshalled and flagged, so if it stays clear it could be a good intro for anyone getting into this fell malarkey!

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#217 Fell running
March 21, 2015, 09:46:34 am
I'm off to Austria tonight for a weeks snowboarding else I'd be tempted. Very local race to me and some good fast sections once up the first bit from memory. Good luck to anyone giving it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris20

• menacing presence
#218 Re: Fell running
March 24, 2015, 09:58:16 pm
Anyone Peak based (or others) tempted by Wolfs Pit fell race tomorrow? It's just shy of 6 miles with 1500ft of climbing in there, so it'll be a tough little cookie. It's normally very well marshalled and flagged, so if it stays clear it could be a good intro for anyone getting into this fell malarkey!

Was a good race on Sunday, great day for it.  A real tough start but really nice running once on top of the hill.  Some great photos here https://mossienet.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/wolfs-pit-report/

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#219 Re: Fell running
March 24, 2015, 10:05:26 pm
Anyone else doing the Red Rose 100?  I've managed to get in from the waiting list, although my usual partner in crime hasn't.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#220 Re: Fell running
March 25, 2015, 08:04:14 pm
Was a good race on Sunday, great day for it.  A real tough start but really nice running once on top of the hill.  Some great photos here https://mossienet.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/wolfs-pit-report/

Totally agree. That first hill climb was brutal, made for great fun in the return decent mind! Down-hilling has never been my forte, so I was pleased on Sunday to pass quite a few people on the descents - quite a tough skill to learn is disengaging brain and turning off all safety parameters!! Strong field too - definitely one to bring out the strong Peak based runners.

Lads Leap on Sunday Chris?

chris20

• menacing presence
#221 Re: Fell running
March 27, 2015, 12:05:29 pm
Lads Leap on Sunday Chris?

Probably not, weather's not looking great this weekend so might use the time to sort out lots of stuff I've been putting off

Monolith

• forum hero
#222 Re: Fell running
July 24, 2015, 02:56:47 pm
Just wondering if anybody can help me answer a query; I was going to pick up a pair of ten quid Gelert packaway waterproof trousers with taped seams as per the FRA kitlist. However, they have open pockets (with taped edges internally) and I wondered whether this would be a problem? Scheduled to run my first race next week and off on a recce tomorrow. Really don't want to be turned away after driving a few hours.

Any help much appreciated.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#223 Re: Fell running
July 24, 2015, 03:19:16 pm
I reckon you should be absolutely fine. The Montane ones I have are the same I think, and whenever I have done a race which actually checks kit properly (e.g. Trigger) they always just pull out the trouser leg and roll it up to see if it has taped seams down the leg. Never seen anyone do anything more than that (though don't blame me if they test them for hydrostatic head now I've said that  :whistle: )

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#224 Re: Fell running
July 27, 2015, 12:28:38 pm
I was going to pick up a pair of ten quid Gelert packaway waterproof trousers with taped seams as per the FRA kitlist....

That's exactly what I did. I've been kit checked a few times and each time they haven't been an issue.

Enjoy the race, first ones are always exciting!  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal