UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307685 times)

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#175 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2014, 10:24:23 pm
Anyone else in for the Fell Relays this weekend? I've been bumped from the fast team to the donkeys this year (Helsby, green vests). Leg 2 pairs, which my pairs-mate has recce-d so we should know vaguely where to go. Onwards!

I'm in! It's my first ever relay event, and lucky been gifted the solo leg one for our Vets 40 team who happened to do quite well last year. I've made this my main training focus for the last few months - nothing beats the pressure as running for part of a team!! I recce'd both leg 1 and 2 a few weeks ago, both of which would make great fell races in there own right.

Really like the eastern side of Cumbria, great rolling running terrain - looking forward to it!! See you up there.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#176 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2014, 11:13:13 pm
Just a quick well done to everyone who finished the race on Sat. Looks like it was an eventful one for some.

I couldn't get a lift or justify the fuel so I bailed in favour of a long run from my door. That went well at least!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#177 Re: Fell running
October 14, 2014, 12:01:41 pm
Technically perhaps the wrong thread but just wondered if many of you have experienced ITB pain?

I've been having bouts of it in my outside right knee. I gave myself three weeks total rest until early this morning when I went out to run a local cross country trail where 1.5 miles in it started to rear its ugly head slightly. I walked back to the car to avoid further aggravation.

Am I correct in assuming some foam rollering in conjunction with glute/quad strengthening might help me out? I have pretty weedy legs (as many climbers appear to have) and am guessing these weaknesses might be at the root of my problem.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#178 Re: Fell running
October 14, 2014, 12:24:53 pm
am guessing these weaknesses might be at the root of my problem.

Just one more thing to think about would be shoes.  I know with trail shoes many think it's less important, but the stability, control/ neutrality or not, forefoot and cushioning all make a difference to the way you run and the stresses on the other bits of your body. 

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#179 Re: Fell running
October 14, 2014, 12:26:00 pm
I had some pretty unpleasant problems much like this a few years ago, and it was particularly apparent when running downhill (not great as a fell runner). It took around 6 weeks of physio including glute work, plus core stability (single leg dip type things) to sort it out. I was told by the physio that it perhaps originated from a lower back weakness from a previous injury.

Either way, a properly constructed plan of exercises is likely to be the best way to go.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#180 Re: Fell running
October 14, 2014, 01:49:20 pm
I had ITB problems maybe 10 years ago that came on about 5-10 mins into a run. The good news it was fixable. I'm told it's hard to stretch but that seemed to be the fix for me. Not tried a foam roller but they seem to be top of the Internet Doctor list these days.

Graeme78

• player
#181 Re: Fell running
October 14, 2014, 10:27:27 pm
Technically perhaps the wrong thread but just wondered if many of you have experienced ITB pain?

I've been having bouts of it in my outside right knee. I gave myself three weeks total rest until early this morning when I went out to run a local cross country trail where 1.5 miles in it started to rear its ugly head slightly. I walked back to the car to avoid further aggravation.

Am I correct in assuming some foam rollering in conjunction with glute/quad strengthening might help me out? I have pretty weedy legs (as many climbers appear to have) and am guessing these weaknesses might be at the root of my problem.

If it is just your IT band then a foam roller and stretching should do the trick. (Have a look on YouTube for tips and stretches.) It could also be worth your while stretching your piriformis as well. (Again Youtube is your friend).
ITB issues are supposed to be caused by too much hilly running so you could cut that down, I never bothered, just carried on and spent a lot of time in pain and swearing on top of hills.
Last time I went to physio, she gave me exercises to do that basically focused running uphill through my quads rather than leaning forward when going uphill. This allows your core to remain stable, as you lean forward you bring your glutes/hamstrings etc. into play, you'll know when your hamstrings are too tight, you'll get a bad back. If it doesn't seem to be clearing up, find yourself a decent physio, they should treat the injury as well as offering tips, such as the stretches I told you about.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#182 Re: Fell running
October 15, 2014, 11:50:50 am
Like lardtub.... Also been explained to me this month that an old injury... And running to far forward up hill, little body Maintenance, and stupid tight glutes and piriformis has thrown my right knee cap some 100mm plus off laterally.. Super tight ITB also a culprit...

Stopped running for 3 weeks, getting back into next week.. Off road short and fast intervals only... These people sorted me out... Recommended for runners and cyclists..
 Fit4-Physio
Physical Therapy Clinic
716 Ecclesall Rd, Sheffield S11 8TA
07938 680320

Monolith

• forum hero
#183 Re: Fell running
October 15, 2014, 10:22:49 pm
Many thanks indeed folks. I have a foam roller in the post, some stretch exercises and some glute/quad plyometric exercises noted down. Hope it passes soon as I'm gagging to get up in the hills.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#184 Re: Fell running
October 16, 2014, 07:10:05 am
Some interesting comments there regarding lots of hill running and tight hamstrings. I did quite a high mileage week last week, with quite a lot of hill work, finishing with hills reps on Saturday. Sunday morning, woke up with a sore lower back, which really threw out my running gait on Sundays easy run. Too many coincidences??

It has taken a few days of early morning yoga (sun salutations) to stretch everything and feel almost back to normal.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does stretching when its too late (never do any when I have no ailments!!!) 

Plattsy

• forum hero
#185 Re: Fell running
October 16, 2014, 08:05:01 am
My first bout of ITBS (hip) started when I moved from road to fell. Stretching worked for me. Took it as a growing pain. Next bout was after upping my fell mileage quicker than I should've. Took a month or two of reduced mileage and stretching to fix. Hip related yoga postures (pigeon, gecko) seem to be good maintenance for me at the moment. Not sure which would help for knee ITBS.

Sore lower back is a problem for me from time to time too. Definitely a weakness of mine. Probably due to poor posture and having a desk job with a 3 hour commute. This surely affects my hamstrings too. Better posture when running up hill is a nice thought but when I'm knackered posture isn't the first thing on my mind. Going to try and do some dorsal raises (lower back) and single leg hip raises (hamstrings) regularly. Probably help with climbing too.

I also have regular leg massages and if my IT band is playing up the masseuse will "strip" my IT band. It's painful but helps I think.

Hope you're back soon Mono.

Thanks Graeme78. With some work I might get a PB and places next year.

Monolith

• forum hero
#186 Re: Fell running
October 16, 2014, 09:30:35 pm
Thanks Plattsy - hopeful of a fix with all this combined beta.

Did my usual weekly Aldi recce today and found a pair of very well tailored womens waterproof trousers (with taped seams) for a tenner. It seems a bit tricky to get slim fit waterproof trousers for cheap and so perhaps a few folk here might like to take a look at their nearest store. Just a thought.

Check it......

Stabbsy

• junky
#187 Re: Fell running
November 14, 2014, 01:40:15 pm
Not really a winter fell shoe (not for North York Moors mud anyway!), but Rock & Run have some deals on Inov8 Roclites at the minute. I've got a pair to go in the cupboard until next summer.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#188 Re: Fell running
November 14, 2014, 02:47:36 pm
Not really a winter fell shoe (not for North York Moors mud anyway!), but Rock & Run have some deals on Inov8 Roclites at the minute. I've got a pair to go in the cupboard until next summer.
Are there any idiosyncrasies with the sizing of inov8s or are they fairly standard?
edit: I normally wear Asics or Saucony
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 03:04:01 pm by tim palmer »

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#189 Re: Fell running
November 14, 2014, 03:13:50 pm
Are there any idiosyncrasies with the sizing of inov8s or are they fairly standard?
edit: I normally wear Asics or Saucony
I'd say they are pretty consistent. I normally run in Asics for trail, fell and road but recently went for a set of Mudclaw 300's, exactly the same size as my Asics. In fact, I find Asics more inconsistent within their range, and tend to go up or down 1/2 a size for some of their shoes.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#190 Re: Fell running
November 21, 2014, 10:57:25 am
Oh, good spot. Just bought the Roclite 243s for 36 quid. 295s gone now. Sizing, I'm an 8 in most things and 8 in all the Inovs I've tried. Current Montrails trails will no doubt rot through in the winter filth and maintains proud record of never paying close to full price. Ta!

Stabbsy

• junky
#191 Re: Fell running
November 21, 2014, 03:29:53 pm
My pair arrived yesterday - they size pretty small in comparison to Mudclaws (about 1cm shorter than the 300s in the same size), so I've returned for a size bigger.

Stabbsy

• junky
#192 Re: Fell running
January 03, 2015, 10:14:20 am
 In honour of the Best of 2014/Aims for 2015 threads, any highlights or targets from the fell running contingent? In no particular order for me :-
  • Running at the national fell relays in October - great atmosphere and loads of fell-running wad ticks.
  • Local relay on Otley Chevin - tiny race, but loads of support and 1st mixed team.
  • The descent from Yellowslacks at Shelf Moor race, first time I've managed to turn my brain off and just go for it!
  • "Sprinting" down the road to finish my first "long" fell race (Guisborough Moors) 5 seconds inside my 1 hr 40 target time.
And for 2015 :-
  • Go back to the Calderdale relay for a top 20 finish.
  • Do a English/British champs race and realise how much better the good guys are!
  • Do my first Lakes race - maybe 3 Shires?

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#193 Re: Fell running
January 03, 2015, 04:19:39 pm
Oh God, where do I start? As my first year of fell running, the whole 12 months has just been one brilliant experience after another.

• First race - Pendle Hill, English Championship Race. Full on jump into the breech, boy did I get spanked!! Although to be fair I knew I would, but was amazed by how many good strong runners there are out there through ALL age ranges.
  • I second your Fell Relay choice completely, and good to have seen you there.
  • Weasdale Horseshoe Fell Race. I would say the first fell race that really felt 'out there' on the fells. Big rolling moorland hills that feel like they'll go on for ever, and similar to Stabbsy, the first real time I went balls out down hill and took my first real tumble at full pelt (possibly induced by seeing the lady in front suddenly pull over and squat for a piss!!)
  • Cressbroook Crawl. £6 entry. 11 o'clock start. 10.5km race. Hand over race number at the end in exchange for a free pint, all before midday - my kinda racing!!
  • May sound soppy, but I don't give a shit, but generally making new friends and acquaintances, along with re-acquainting old friends from the climbing world that I haven't seen in eons.

As for Aims;

• Ticked 29 races last year (including some road and XC races). Aiming to get at least 40 under my belt this year.
  • Increase distance this year. Last year was mostly AS class races. Be good to get more Medium class runs in there and maybe a Long class too. (Would like to do The 3 Peaks, but might just be out of my league at present).
  • Get quicker, and contribute to a Team win.

Monolith

• forum hero
#194 Re: Fell running
January 03, 2015, 08:19:08 pm
Sadly can't chip in with any fell running achievements just yet as post Langdale intention, a knee issue flared up.

Getting a bit more on top of it now and most likely will enter the Jura race during whisky festival week. Have to have a few races under my belt before then and I was going to take the plunge on a budget this week and buy some More Mile Cheviot 2 for a hit next weekend. If I'm a UK 10.5, would folk who have a pair advise going for size 10.5 in them too at all?

Wishing you all the very best of luck in your races this year!

Stabbsy

• junky
#195 Re: Fell running
January 04, 2015, 07:33:22 am
Mini - If your Moorlands team can get enough runners together (12), the Calderdale relay is a good one to go for. 6 legs, 50-ish miles, all run in pairs. The Calder Valley team that were second at the fell relays were a big part of last year's winning team, so high standard field! There's 3 proper fell legs and the other 3 are more akin to XC. Getting the baton round without getting involved in mass starts is pretty challenging (we failed), but heading back for another crack this year.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#196 Re: Fell running
January 04, 2015, 12:21:49 pm
Well done to all the above. Good stuff!

2014:
Completed my first ultra - a 30+ mile trail&fell race.
First MM
Completed the PeakRaid3 series - great fun.
Regular Wednesday night fell runs

2015:
Keep up the Wed night fell runs
Do a couple of ultras, perhaps repeating the previous but quicker and perhaps one at ~40+ miles
Do the kinder dozen.
Run in the Lake District a bit more. Complete my first fell race in the Lakes.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#197 Re: Fell running
January 05, 2015, 08:43:12 pm
.... and I was going to take the plunge on a budget this week and buy some More Mile Cheviot 2 for a hit next weekend. If I'm a UK 10.5, would folk who have a pair advise going for size 10.5 in them too at all?

Can't help with sizing I'm afraid, but Sportshoes.com do have some big reductions at the moment of your after a budget buy??

Stabbsy - just had a look into it, the Relay you suggested does look good. I'll put it to the team, but we do generally struggle with numbers for events such as this. We somehow manged to pull three teams together for the Fell Relays this year, but apparently that was a first!

P'Sam - You've way more stamina than me, cap is well and truely doffed!

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#198 Re: Fell running
January 08, 2015, 07:08:19 am
First of the English Champs' entered last night - Flower Scar. If you keen, get in quick as the places are filling fast. Tme to get spanked again!!!

First race of the year for me is gonna be Stanbury Splash nr Keighley on the 18th. If your half local, could be worth a look. Slightly less ego bruising ;-)

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#199 Re: Fell running
January 08, 2015, 06:32:46 pm
Got Marsden to Edale this Sunday. Woefully underprepared. And given it took me six hours last year I think it's going to be a painful day on the hills. Gulp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal