UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307722 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#150 Re: Fell running
September 26, 2014, 11:48:29 am
I've got the Preston 5k on Sunday, so I've only been doing 5k runs which is really really weird!!!

Back on the distance soon.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#151 Re: Fell running
October 05, 2014, 10:38:57 am
Right then. Langdale. I'm in. Last minute.
Anyone interested in liftsharing from Sheffield?
Heading up on the day would be best I think.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#152 Re: Fell running
October 06, 2014, 08:55:50 am
Right then. Langdale. I'm in. Last minute.
Anyone interested in liftsharing from Sheffield?
Heading up on the day would be best I think.
Chris20 and I are heading up on the day but we've booked BnB's Windermere for Saturday night  :alky:  :beer2: :pissed:  so won't be heading back to Sheffield straight after the race. How does that fit with your plans?

Ran leg4 of the Ian Hodgeson Mountain Relay yesterday as a last minute replacement. An absolute pleasure to see the countries best waltzing up and down some pretty treacherous steep ground in less than ideal conditions. Just glad I finished without injury. My legs really hurt today.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#153 Re: Fell running
October 06, 2014, 11:10:38 pm
Good luck to all for this Sunday's Langdale race!

Absolutely gutted I can't enter. Not that it's likely possible but if you get any images, I'd love to see them.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#154 Re: Fell running
October 07, 2014, 08:06:10 am
That's a shame Mono. Next year maybe. Plenty of time to gain some experience too.

There is zero chance of me taking a photograph on the way round. They'll be a photographer or two somewhere on the course. I'll go find the photo's after the race and post them up.

Monolith

• forum hero
#155 Re: Fell running
October 08, 2014, 01:04:57 pm
Really wish you the best of luck in your time Plattsy. Hope you have a brilliant day mate.

Look forward to seeing race event photographs in due course too.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#156 Re: Fell running
October 08, 2014, 10:27:05 pm
good luck all you guys, hoping for better weather!

Plattsy

• forum hero
#157 Re: Fell running
October 10, 2014, 01:46:19 pm
Thanks chaps. The weather forecast is certainly interesting. I've dropped ideas of a personal best and will be content with just getting round.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#158 Re: Fell running
October 10, 2014, 03:00:21 pm
Unless you want to break the record of 1:55 or whatever it is, just go 9out and enjoy it.  It's a beautiful route.  Have fun, and good luck!

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#159 Re: Fell running
October 10, 2014, 03:06:56 pm
Thanks chaps. The weather forecast is certainly interesting. I've dropped ideas of a personal best and will be content with just getting round.
I think you'll get round without any troubles at all Plattsy! From what I've seen you're no slouch...

Just put my entry in this week for Marsden to Edale in January, as well as the Dig Deep intro Ultra in the Peak District next August too. Not sure which one I am fearing the most.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#160 Re: Fell running
October 10, 2014, 03:16:37 pm
Thanks GCW and BToL.

I've been training specifically for this race so with better conditions I'd be disappointed if I didn't PB having only ran it once last year. With the weather looking like it is that pressure is off.

I'd be more worried about The Trigger, BToL. That race really doesn't appeal to me at all.

Contemplating one of the UTPD races too. Maybe the long one.

chris20

• menacing presence
#161 Re: Fell running
October 10, 2014, 03:56:19 pm
I'm looking forward to it but I was hoping the weather would be better so that I could just follow people round, my main aim will be to try not get lost

Just put my entry in this week for Marsden to Edale in January, as well as the Dig Deep intro Ultra in the Peak District next August too. Not sure which one I am fearing the most.

I need to put my entry in for the trigger.  I recommend signing up for the recce runs for the Dig Deep race, I did the ultra in the summer and the recce runs were a good way to meet other people doing the race and learning the route.  Also at 5 quid you get a few Clif products and soup and a roll at outside cafe afterwards

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#162 Re: Fell running
October 10, 2014, 07:01:32 pm
Trigger is pretty brutal to be honest, this year it seemed relentless and I felt spent at the end. Thanks for the recce suggestion Chris I'll look out for them. Plattsy, there are a few from Totley stepping up to the full ultra next year so I'm going recce parts of that with them at some point if you're interested. All familiar ground though so shouldn't get lost.

Graeme78

• player
#163 Re: Fell running
October 11, 2014, 06:21:32 pm
Here's hoping you all got round ok. I pulled out weeks ago, been out on the bike more and my running seems to have gone to shit. Mate of mine went into a deep bog and had to be airlifted to Whitehaven, according the LAMRT website there were three callouts on the race alone, busy afternoon. Like I say hope you and everyone you know got round safely.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#164 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2014, 08:55:46 am
Well that was utter carnage. The weather was alright in the end. Some low cloud for the first half then the sun came out on at Crinkles Crag and the views were awesome. However conditions underfoot were unbelieveable. The rocks were unusually and unpredictably slippy. The steep grass sections very slippy and the marsh extra marshy. I must have fell over 5 or 6 times and have plenty of bumps, bruises and cuts. Everyone was slipping and falling over.

Graeme78 I take it your friend was the chap who dislocated his knee on the race trod below Esk Pike? I heard his screams from the drag up to Esk House and they didn't sound like screams of joy. He was attended to by 3 people when I passed him. That race trod is ridiculous, dangerous and yet lots of fun. Hope he's back fit soon.

Also heard about a broken wrist on Bow Fell, a dislocated shoulder at the finish, a badly gashed knee and I passed a young fella running with only one shoe on towards the end.

Chris20 got round alright and so did I. No PB for me but I finished 40 odd places higher than last year. Lost 10 places with cramp coming off Pike O'Blisco which is annoying as descending is usually where I make up some places. Happy to get round really with a decent performance.

Can't wait for next years.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#165 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2014, 09:09:03 am
Good effort, that sounds horrific.

chris20

• menacing presence
#166 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2014, 09:20:14 am
It felt like the hardest race I have done but also the best, when the clouds lifted the views were spectacular.  I had a bad race, got it wrong with food but managed to make it round.  Plattsy had a great run, stormed pass me going up Bow fell and just disappeared.  I can't wait till next year

andy_e

• forum hero
#168 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2014, 10:31:13 am
Did you mean to post that account in the "Don't go running" thread? Sounds savage. Good effort on getting around!

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#169 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2014, 12:11:01 pm
Great effort Plattsy and Chris, looks pretty brutal. Best part about running in the Lakes is when the clouds suddenly lift like that, kind of takes your mind off the suffering.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#170 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2014, 12:54:41 pm
Great effort Plattsy and Chris, congratulations of coming home reasonably unscathed - reading some of the tales of woe on the Fell Runner forum makes it sound like an exceedingly eventful day!! A couple of mates from the club ran it, they said it was more a case of completing it rather going out to set any PB's.

I did have this pencilled in as one to do next year - thank god I used pencil and not a permanent marker ;-)

Monolith

• forum hero
#171 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2014, 03:49:48 pm
Great effort guys! It sounded like armageddon! Top images too and really look forward to joining you next year. Moved the goal posts for a personal goal to the Jura race in May since I'm booked in there and on Islay for the whisky festival.

As an aside, Aldi have their running offers on this week. 100% merino wool base layer is decent at 15.99 for the top and pants respectively. The socks, gloves, hats and other bits all seem to be decent quality at very low prices too.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#172 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2014, 04:42:49 pm
Langdale looks bonkers - added to list! Ceiriog Canter for me, over the top from Llangollen. About 1400' in mostly one long climb and descent. Just got back before the massive showers.

Anyone else in for the Fell Relays this weekend? I've been bumped from the fast team to the donkeys this year (Helsby, green vests). Leg 2 pairs, which my pairs-mate has recce-d so we should know vaguely where to go. Onwards!

Plattsy

• forum hero
#173 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2014, 05:04:35 pm
No relays for me. Good luck Steve.

Fancy bit of poor visibility flying. Helicoptor airlift from Saturday.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152763539455930&set=gm.10152856816186719&type=1&theater

Graeme78

• player
#174 Re: Fell running
October 13, 2014, 10:19:58 pm
Graeme78 I take it your friend was the chap who dislocated his knee on the race trod below Esk Pike? I heard his screams from the drag up to Esk House and they didn't sound like screams of joy. He was attended to by 3 people when I passed him. That race trod is ridiculous, dangerous and yet lots of fun. Hope he's back fit soon.

Also heard about a broken wrist on Bow Fell, a dislocated shoulder at the finish, a badly gashed knee and I passed a young fella running with only one shoe on towards the end.

Can't wait for next years.

Yeah that's the fella, another friend checked he was ok and then left him to it when he screamed yes  :lol: a couple of clubmates waited with the chap that broke his wrist while the helicopter came.
On the plus side you both got back safely, it's a strange race, did it years ago and haven't been back since for one reason or another but it has a strange pull, I don't know what it is, but it draws you back, in some respects it's not that good a race, but you feel the need to go back, probably because it's the last big race of the year in the lakes.

Well done to you both on getting round and well done on your improvement in places Plattsy, moving up 40 places is some achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal