UKBouldering.com

First car for a boulderer (Read 6983 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
First car for a boulderer
June 11, 2014, 07:53:30 pm
Its been on my mind for a while to get around to buying my first car. I've not really got much of an idea where to start. Get a model in mind first then scour Autotrader for a goodun, or go to a few local dealers and see what they've got in?

My current thinking is to get a model in mind and I've shortlisted some criteria for what I'm after. I know absolutely fuck all about cars or different models of cars, so if anybody can point me in the right direction then I'd be very grateful.

1. Must have the space inside for pads/gear and a couple of mates. Thinking ahead, this may at a later date translate to buggy/other kid shit, but we're not that far down the line yet.

2.  Must be reasonably cheap to run. Currently driving the missus' C1, so think I am probably a bit spoilt here.

3. Must be a low insurance group. I'm a 25 year old male, who has held their licence since Dec '11. Have so far had no accidents but have also accrued no NCD of my own...

4. Good reliability is a must. I'm a shit mechanic and am tight-arsed, so the less maintenance required the better.

Anything other than that is a bonus. I don't necessarily yearn for a massive engine, as I'm by no means a speed merchant, but it would be nice if it had some oomph so I don't end up dropping to 1st if I miss my line going up Norwood Edge!

Just to throw budget into the mix, I've currently been looking at an upper ceiling of 3-4k and a max mileage of 60k. I have no idea what the relative merits of those two numbers are really.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 11, 2014, 07:57:22 pm
Mileage per annum?

The best engine I've ever owned is the 1.9 TDI VAG engine that comes in many forms (many bhps and many cars), essentially bad turbo failure due to people not changing their oil this engine is bulletproof.  Fuel type and thus engine selection should depend on your total mileage with diesel engined cars costing a little more than their petrol alternative.

Personally I'd stay VAG and look at Skodas and VWs.

Mileage is a funny one. I'm currently running a car that's about to tick over to 160,000 miles. I think I went a bit too far down the line buying this one. However, we sold our vRS at roughly 100k miles (bought it at ~40k) and it had been pretty much faultless. I regret selling it.

Dealers - Unless it's coming with an approved used warranty scheme (i.e. manufacturers) then it's just as much of a lottery as buying privately.

Consider tyres and tax in the total cost, both can be pricey (so too can servicing and parts depending on brand).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:03:30 pm by Paul B »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 11, 2014, 08:02:08 pm
A Peugeot 306 HDi. You'll struggle to get one sub 60k though, they don't make them any more.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 11, 2014, 08:10:38 pm
Mileage per annum?

The best engine I've ever owned is the 1.9 TDI VAG engine that comes in many forms (many bhps and many cars), essentially bad turbo failure due to people not changing their oil this engine is bulletproof.  Fuel type and thus engine selection should depend on your total mileage with diesel engined cars costing a little more than their petrol alternative.

Personally I'd stay VAG and look at Skodas and VWs.

Mileage is a funny one. I'm currently running a car that's about to tick over to 160,000 miles. I think I went a bit too far down the line buying this one. However, we sold our vRS at roughly 100k miles (bought it at ~40k) and it had been pretty much faultless. I regret selling it.

Dealers - Unless it's coming with an approved used warranty scheme (i.e. manufacturers) then it's just as much of a lottery as buying privately.

Consider tyres and tax in the total cost, both can be pricey (so too can servicing and parts depending on brand).

Looking at about 10000 miles a year, give or take. Thanks for the knowledge there, Paul.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 11, 2014, 08:12:02 pm
KIA for reliability and price. Similar to Toyota with a cheaper badge. Prices are drifting up now people realise they're not a budget manufacturer. The 7 year warranty is transferable between owners, goes with the car.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 11, 2014, 09:03:52 pm
Skoda Fabia 1.9TDi.

Economical, reliable - room for mats. Uninspiring - but I suspect exciting isnt what you're after :)

I'd steer clear of Peugeot's (sorry JB) or Citroens... reliability mainly is against them...

An alternative is a Honda Jazz - bit of an OAP's car (sorry Slackers ;) ) but great cars and loads of room inside them. Good Honda build quality. Probably harder to find and more ££ than the Fabia (more in demand..).

Kia's are an interesting shout - never driven one. I've used a few Hyundai's and until the recent ones (last 2-3 years) I thought they were dog turd - though cheap and seem to last well.

Go on autotrader.co.uk and this will give you an idea of the price and (importantly) the spread of price. I'm not saying buy one from there (you can if you like!) but its an easy way to snoop and I'd suggest looking for prices in the middle of the range of year, mileage and model that you are after...

(I've just had a look and loads of 04-05 Fabias at that price and 03-04 Jazz's too.. a few Fabia estates too which might be a good option in the small/large balance...)

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 11, 2014, 09:28:57 pm
Skoda Fabia 1.9TDi

This was pretty much my first thought. Estate perhaps as although the boot in the hatchback was plenty big enough for plenty of 'stuff' it didn't really take mats too well?

Don't look at the SDI engine in these, they're woefully underpowered.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#7 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 11, 2014, 09:49:05 pm
Old model Mondeo TD, will run on 75% veg oil / Diesel mix. Big boot, the estate is cavernous cheap to buy, maintain & insure.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#8 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 11, 2014, 10:15:41 pm
Come on Will, you know you love the sleek lines of the Berlingo :wub:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 12, 2014, 09:34:40 am
Japanese cars have been very reliable (for me, a Nissan and now a Honda) and my mechanic mate says they last for ages (nudging up to 100000 on the Honda and going strong).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 12, 2014, 11:58:47 am
A Peugeot 306 HDi. You'll struggle to get one sub 60k though, they don't make them any more.

Ours had a brilliant engine, but everything else was shit.

Get a ford focus 1.6 hatch. Cheap to run, common as muck.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#11 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 12, 2014, 12:12:29 pm
I have just bought a focus cmax 1.6 2007, 65000k for £3600 or something and it is pretty good so far. Not a massive car but roomy with decent pad space in boot.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 12, 2014, 12:14:39 pm
They're not too stable though.  :whistle:

dunnyg

• forum hero
#13 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 12, 2014, 02:53:49 pm
Depending how urgent you are the mrs is looking to live the van dream soon. The bass on the speakers is banging. Might be about your budget but dunno. Kia ceed. Wouldnt be till she gets van wheels though (probs september) You've allready heard the quality of the bass......,

205Chris

• forum hero
#14 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 14, 2014, 06:07:56 pm
Whatever you buy you'll be looking for a hatchback or estate with a split/fold rear seat for practicality.

Don't buy anything French.

In your situation I'd go Japanese. A last of the line Toyota Corolla (before it became the Auris) would fit the bill. Having worked in the factory where they make these cars I can vouch for the levels of build quality.

Having said that 5 out of the 6 cars I've ever owned have been French, so you can draw your own conclusions about my advice.....

SamT

• forum hero
#15 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 14, 2014, 06:52:24 pm
Our astra estate was brilliant and about the right size for what your looking at. Should be able to pick one up cheapish..  just upped mine to a mondeo estate as the kids are npt getting smaller.

andyd

• forum hero
#16 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 14, 2014, 07:50:31 pm

Take this cliche with the pinch of salt it deserves. Then add a little garlic for that authentic French taste.

Every car must be taken on its own merits. Ignoring a country or even a company based on a widespread way of thinking won't help you. My mark 1 Renault laguna was the best car I ever had. The mark 2 was the worst.

I think a ford focus is probably the way forward in terms of value for money.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#17 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 14, 2014, 07:54:09 pm
Japanese cars have been very reliable (for me, a Nissan and now a Honda) and my mechanic mate says they last for ages (nudging up to 100000 on the Honda and going strong).

Good shout it seems Slackers. I've purchased a mate's 1999 Daihatsu Charade 1.3 for £200 and it's an absolute cracking first car for me. See video for robustness:

205Chris

• forum hero
#18 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 14, 2014, 09:00:37 pm

Take this cliche with the pinch of salt it deserves. Then add a little garlic for that authentic French taste.

Every car must be taken on its own merits. Ignoring a country or even a company based on a widespread way of thinking won't help you. My mark 1 Renault laguna was the best car I ever had. The mark 2 was the worst.

Yes, it's a cliche but looking at Will's wishlist of cost, practicality and reliability it would suggest Japanese as the way forward.

French hatchbacks probably have more soul and character than their Japanese counterparts but they won't be as reliable. The reason I've owned so many French cars is that I'm willing to overlook their tendency to fall apart for the fact their chassis and engine guys seem to know what they're doing even if their quality department don't  ;)

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#19 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 15, 2014, 12:04:02 am
1.2/1.4 Honda jazz mate.

Bomb proof, cheap, efficient, great engine!

The rear seats fold down really well under the front seats so you can easily sleep in the back. We got 4 pads (including mondo) and 5 people in to go to Switzerland!

Proper grandma car so you can probably pick a really well looked after one cheap. Would get another anytime just avoid a red one from Cumbria that got driven into by a lorry in the ferry port!!!

Beastly Squirrel

• player
  • a squirrel
#20 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 15, 2014, 07:45:15 pm
Seat Ibiza 1.2 5 door (can fit 3 people with 3 medium pads and two small/half sized pads in). I'm 17 and got really cheap insurance as my first (shared with parents) car. Pretty efficient too as small engine. 

andyd

• forum hero
#21 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 15, 2014, 07:59:19 pm
Pretty efficient too as small engine.

This is common misconception

Paul B

• forum hero
#22 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 15, 2014, 09:02:27 pm

But, like the Italians the French don't strive to make things easy when carrying out basic tasks (changing bulbs etc.) ze Germans do.

This is common misconception

Quite, our 1.9tdi vRS averaged mid 60 mpg over a LOT of miles (it peaked at around 70.7 commuting one day). The 1.0T brand new Fiesta I drove today was averaging 35.9 mpg.

Stats vs. real world etc.

AlistairB

• addict
#23 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 15, 2014, 09:11:43 pm
1.2/1.4 Honda jazz mate.

Bomb proof, cheap, efficient, great engine!

The rear seats fold down really well under the front seats so you can easily sleep in the back. We got 4 pads (including mondo) and 5 people in to go to Switzerland!

Proper grandma car so you can probably pick a really well looked after one cheap. Would get another anytime just avoid a red one from Cumbria that got driven into by a lorry in the ferry port!!!

Seconded though I think I already gave you the Jazz sales pitch on the way to Malham!

tomtom

• forum hero
#24 Re: First car for a boulderer
June 15, 2014, 09:12:24 pm
Yup - small engines can be economical if you are really really gentle with the right foot. The problem is because they are often so gutless you have to thrash them to get anywhere...

Where petrol wins over diesel (economy wise) is if you do lots of short journeys when the engine is cold. Diesels only give their best economy when they are hot (15-20 min running) whereas petrol engines are less contingent on this.

Furthermore, if you do lots of short journeys with an oil burner the particulate filter can become clogged too - as it usually relies on a 'hot cycle' from the engine to burn out the shit every few hundred miles... Or if you do lots of short journeys in a diesel its good to get it hot and give it a thrape every now and then.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal