UKBouldering.com

Your nominations for the worst climbing wall (Read 21082 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Well our trip to Blackstones Edge was an utter washout so we thought, ho hum, best potter around on some plastic before going to the pub, and being in the area went to Climb Rochdale.

Well let's start with the positive aspects.

1. I never have to go back.

Right, that's over let's move on to the failures.

1. Route setting, utterly shit, using often broken holds, very old holds, nasty holds and all compounded by utterly shit route setting. (Yes I know the last one is a repeat, but it needs repeating, the route setting was utterly shit). How you can produce such shit walls with a more than half decent Beacon wall takes a special talent.

2. Upstairs; where do you being? Well, let's start with the matting.  It's simply not on to say that the mats are utterly shit but we've thrown some 2" gum mats around on top and its your responsibility to move them around to make it marginally less dangerous.

3. Old School is fine at Pex Hill but not in a commercial wall, the walls upstairs are not only old school, but they have not aged well. Painting over screw on holds to minimise friction is not a good thing.  Then there's the route setting, it seems like they put the good problems downstairs.  Broken holds with sharp edges, dirty holds, problems that involve lunges from good holds to good holds are the highlights.   The upper walls are simply unsafe and a claim waiting to happen.

I think it was the manager who when we said we'd just come to boulder said 'if it's bouldering you're after you've come to the right place' suggests a lack of self awareness which is quite staggering.

Can anyone nominate a wall to surpass Climb Rochdale in terms of being utterly shit?

PS Climb Rochdale, if you're reading this, all is not lost.

1. Buy a dozen sets of nice new holds.
2. Employ a couple of decent route setters and have them set circuits.
3. Sort the matting out upstairs and rip out the old walls and throw up some panels.

Climb Rochdale was the last time I went (I think it was Nik's stag do how ever long ago that was) a quite decent wall and it could be again, but it needs radical surgery to survive.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Looks like the dangerous matting isn't their only fault when it comes to customer safety http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/climb-rochdale-fined-14000-over-699207

Sloper

• forum hero
1. That was the previous owners.
2. I could give a rats arse if the kitchen was infected by cockroaches as I don't go to a wall to eat.
3. I wonder if there's anyone with more than 15 minutes experience (other than in a call center) running the place?

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
It's nowhere near as bad as your description of Rochdale, but a common problem I see is circuits that are too homogenous in difficulty. This can result in having one circuit where you can do most things in a couple of goes and not find them very interesting, but have no chance whatsoever on anything on the next harder circuit.

You even get this at otherwise very good walls, e.g. I was in Cafe Kraft in Nürnberg a couple of weeks ago after fleeing from hailstorms in the Frankenjura.

Admittedly I mostly have this experience at walls where I'm an occasional or one-off visitor, and it might be less of a problem for locals who are able and willing to start projecting the next circuit, but I have seen places that do it better with a bit of overlap or a less drastic transition.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
1. That was the previous owners.
My error. Doesn't sound like things have improved though.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

It's nowhere near as bad as your description of Rochdale, but a common problem I see is circuits that are too homogenous in difficulty. This can result in having one circuit where you can do most things in a couple of goes and not find them very interesting, but have no chance whatsoever on anything on the next harder circuit.

You even get this at otherwise very good walls, e.g. I was in Cafe Kraft in Nürnberg a couple of weeks ago after fleeing from hailstorms in the Frankenjura.

Admittedly I mostly have this experience at walls where I'm an occasional or one-off visitor, and it might be less of a problem for locals who are able and willing to start projecting the next circuit, but I have seen places that do it better with a bit of overlap or a less drastic transition.

No this is an immense problem. I have battles with our setters constantly, particularly at the lower end circuits. They struggle to grasp what "absolute beginner" means and cannot seem to understand that smoothly overlapping circuits of varied and increasing difficulty, enable people to progress without utter shutdown or getting bored. The attitude that "V1/V0/VB is beneath me" is going to lose some people their jobs soon...
My favourite quote "If I can do it in my flip flops, it's V1", translates to permanent toilet cleaning duties and removal of setting privileges.

It's damn hard to keep on top of though.
And 12 sets of holds = £12000 at least. Matting, £15-30K to replace and if you're not getting the footfall?

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to "The Edge" (deceased, RIP).

Sloper

• forum hero

There were no circuits, there was no craft, there was no thought.

Grades indoors can be difficult, I generally find the problems at The Climbing Works to be very easy for the given grade when they rely on guile but bloody hard when strength/power is required, but mentioning TCW and CR in the same sentence is almost an offence to TCW.

This wasn't about grades being a bit off or there being a serious gap between say 6a-c and then 7+  it was about problems being set by someone who had no idea of route setting and probably very little experience of bouldering.

I'd previously have nominated Rock Over in Manchester for this award but by god Climb Rochdale is a clear winner of the golden  :shit:

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I wasn't that inspired on my one visit to Rockover in Manchester either, but I wouldn't describe it as out & out crap.  Not any of the other modern bouldering walls I've been to either. Clearly some walls - Tom's place in Loughborough as an obvious e.g. since I've never been to TCW - have more inspired setting than others, but a modern wall needs to be pretty spectacularly mismanaged as per your story to achieve actual crapness.

I agree "oh dear the 6A circuit is boring but I can't do anything on the 6C circuit" is a rather minor complaint, but I struggle to think of a wall where I've experienced anything much worse than that lately. Maybe I'm either lucky or not sufficiently discriminating.

Sloper

• forum hero
The Climbing Hangar in L'pool is excellent although some of their staff need to realise that they're at work, they work in the leisure industry and demonstrate some basic levels of customer service, but despite the surly scouse approach of ignoring the paying punter we go fairly regularly because it's a bloody good wall.

Any owner of a bouldering wall should realise that the routes are their product, and the matting allows people to enjoy the product, everything else is fluff.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Slightly off-topic as I like the place, but today I was unimpressed by the Leeds Wall's decision to have a grey, a black, and a black&grey problem all overlapping in one of the main bouldering bays!  Made for a confusing session, what with the terrible lighting (a perennial bugbear), and the policy of having grey screw-ins, which are tricky to distinguish from the black screw-ins used for the "elite" circuit, in for everything.   Still, good practice for Almscliff - getting used to that nagging sensation that someone's just about to upbraid you for using an off-limits hold!

account_inactive

• forum hero
Hull Rock Shitty is probably the worst wall I've ever visited. £9.50 to boulder. Despite plenty of new holds and decent setters it fails on so many points it's untrue. I work in Immingham so it's the closet wall to visit of an evening yet I find myself in Leeds or Sheffield instead. Theres so much wrong that I can't even be bothered to list the short comings.....just burn the place down!
Oh and if you're reading this Rock City, sending out social media adverts inviting me (as a member) to beginners lessons is rather pointless and annoying

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero

Hull Rock Shitty is probably the worst wall I've ever visited. £9.50 to boulder. Despite plenty of new holds and decent setters it fails on so many points it's untrue. I work in Immingham so it's the closet wall to visit of an evening yet I find myself in Leeds or Sheffield instead. Theres so much wrong that I can't even be bothered to list the short comings.....just burn the place down!
Oh and if you're reading this Rock City, sending out social media adverts inviting me (as a member) to beginners lessons is rather pointless and annoying
Unfortunately, you can't choose who the ads go to. Farcrbuck think they know far more than their customers...

Stubbs

Moose were you waiting for someone to do routes with at Leeds Wall? I'd be surprised if anyone went there to boulder these days with the two vastly superior options available in Leeds now!

account_inactive

• forum hero

Unfortunately, you can't choose who the ads go to. Farcrbuck think they know far more than their customers...

These are directed ad's to members. Non members are people who need beginners lessons. I'm sure the odd person may pass than info on but it's a poor way to market. Similar to putting up adverts in your changing room for non climbers (this also happens). I'm trying real hard to to rant about the place......just best to say nothing at all

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Moose were you waiting for someone to do routes with at Leeds Wall? I'd be surprised if anyone went there to boulder these days with the two vastly superior options available in Leeds now!

Nope, amazing as it may seem, I chose to boulder there! Admittedly, I normally go to the Depot for a "proper" beasting, but I was tired (Kilnsey on Weds and Sat) and had other stuff to do, so a quick session at Leeds fit the bill.  I've always liked the style of problems at Leeds - steep and basic - good for a quick-fire, all-over work-out without shredding the skin too much (off to Malham tomorrow). Cheap too (£5 for boulder only).  Just a shame about the lighting and occasional colour clash problems.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero

Nope, amazing as it may seem, I chose to boulder there! Admittedly, I normally go to the Depot for a "proper" beasting, but I was tired (Kilnsey on Weds and Sat) and had other stuff to do, so a quick session at Leeds fit the bill.  I've always liked the style of problems at Leeds - steep and basic - good for a quick-fire, all-over work-out without shredding the skin too much (off to Malham tomorrow). Cheap too (£5 for boulder only).  Just a shame about the lighting and occasional colour clash problems.

Not been familiar with the place (read never been there), so what does poor lighting mean?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
It means that the main bouldering area is very dimly lit - to the extent that distinguishing the colours of holds is difficult (especially on dull days when there's not much illumination through the roof-lights).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero

Is that what you meant? The spotlights?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Aye, the spotlights on the two main overhanging bays on the right-hand side can be a bit insufficient.  Maybe the fault is partly with my eyes, although, I know I am not entirely alone in finding it occasionally too dimly lit to distinguish hold colours.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Holy fuckrods, Sloper actually started a topical and interesting thread.

Albeit in the wrong forum.

The Matrix is still the worst "proper" bouldering wall I've been to. But it wasn't THAT bad, just crowded and warm and nothing special.

I'd nominate any wall that relies primarily on Holdz. Skin grinding knobbles and tip-trashing textures are not where it's at in training.

I can see where Moose is coming from that sometimes you just need a simple bouldering session with minimal skin loss.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Skin grinding knobbles and tip-trashing textures are not where it's at in training.

I went to the opening weekend of a new wall once. Felt like a manicure with a belt sander.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I find I lose less skin on newer/cleaner holds. Of course they need a bit of chalk to take the edge off but over a session it's better than scummy frictionless ones caked in sweaty mank which = ripping off them when pulling hard.

But maybe that's just cos my fingers sweat like fuck and I overuse chalk to compensate. I also often seem to be the only person at the wall using a brush on every problem (that isn't a line of massive jugs).

On topic, I've not been to a shit wall in years cos I live five minutes from the Climbing Works. Hilariously, especially reading this, some people still moan about it.

fried

• forum hero
I love my wall.
I love the stting, the problems change every 2/3 weeks, different styles..

But fuck me, you say 'hello' when you arrive, the people working at reception look through you like you weren't there.

I went to shake hands with the owner the other day while he was trying some new probs with a 'wad' setter, you'd 've though I'd stolen his girl and had a shit in his shoe on the way out.

Don't know if this is a Parisian problem or back home is the same. I know you work in/ own a wall and that's cool, but don't forget you work in the service industry and a 'hello' costs nothing and's the best advertising you can get.

ardeer

• player

Any owner of a bouldering wall should realise that the routes are their product :agree:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero

I love my wall.
I love the stting, the problems change every 2/3 weeks, different styles..

But fuck me, you say 'hello' when you arrive, the people working at reception look through you like you weren't there.

I went to shake hands with the owner the other day while he was trying some new probs with a 'wad' setter, you'd 've though I'd stolen his girl and had a shit in his shoe on the way out.

Don't know if this is a Parisian problem or back home is the same. I know you work in/ own a wall and that's cool, but don't forget you work in the service industry and a 'hello' costs nothing and's the best advertising you can get.

I've had complaints that the boys won't stop talking...

Though it does seem to help if you are a pretty girl, in which case they will probably even lace your boots and brush every hold before you reach for it.

fried

• forum hero
My limited experience of walls in the U.K is the same; friendly staff, happy to chat and help punters at whatever level.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
All your complaints would be silenced if you went to Aberdeen beach Leisure Centre's wall

http://www.scottishoutdoors.co.uk/outdoors/walldirectory/beach/index.cfm.htm

good points

1) It's cheap
2) It's deserted
3) It will make you all tear eyed and nostalgic for early 80s walls.

tomtom

• forum hero
Another RockCity nomination. It's not terrible per se like Slopers description of Rochdale - but it's appalling value for money - and frustrating as so many little things could be done that could make it better..

Despite living 3 miles away I chose to drive 60miles to go elsewhere...

Danny

• junky
Kendal Wall. I first visited the place as a young teenager (~15 years ago) who was keen to get into climbing but didn't know much about it. My enthusiasm was met with what could at best be described as cold indifference. Admittedly, that was many years ago, so maybe times have changed for contemporary newcomers. I have had a few sessions at Kendal in recent times (on the odd occasion that I've been visiting family back home) and the new bouldering wall and route setting is mediocre to poor. A lot of the angles are bad, which doesn't help, but the setting is notably balls. However, the new staff seem to be much nicer.

Re: comments about a lack of a good spread of problems through your own ability range: I'm sure there's a little truth in this between walls, but if you think about it most people have quite a narrow difficulty window between problems they can do very rapidly and problems they can't touch. Unless you're after a load of power enduro problems and nothing else it seems unlikely that this will ever change.         

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Re: comments about a lack of a good spread of problems through your own ability range: I'm sure there's a little truth in this between walls, but if you think about it most people have quite a narrow difficulty window between problems they can do very rapidly and problems they can't touch. Unless you're after a load of power enduro problems and nothing else it seems unlikely that this will ever change.       

The abrupt phase transition from "2-3 goes" to "absolutely desperate" had occurred to me and I'm sure there's some truth in it. But then all the more pyschologically important to have a "blue circuit 5C to 6B" and a "red circuit 6A+ to 6C", because if the red circuit starts at 6B+ then it's immediately desperate and I as the paying customer might not like that.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:54:47 pm by Muenchener »

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
another vote for Kendal some of the worst problem setting i've seen.

tomtom

• forum hero
I'm not a huge fan of the Kendal wall either (seemed split up and disjointed - and pricey for a one off visit) but not been for a couple of years - and I hear there are new bits there now.

On setting - I think there is a real skill in setting interesting easy problems. I find Ian vickers does a good job of the easier problems at Logport wall rather than the usual big holds pull...

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
Keswick? I thought the top rope ~30 degree wall was a great idea, especially when someone falls off and becomes a human wrecking-ball. The bouldering was rubbish as well, not helped by out-of-control kids running around. Only went because it was torrential all day and we were nearby. Wouldn't bother again.

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
I'd like to nominate Creation in Birmingham. Whilst it may not be the worst wall ever, I think it deserves nomination because of the massively wasted potential of this place (this strictly applies to the bouldering area - no idea on the quality of the roped climbing).

A few years ago they redid the bouldering area, expanding into space from the recently acquired skate park next door and the result was majorly disappointing; the angles are crap, too many vertical walls with corners/arêtes etc and the couple of overhanging sections are small and tbh pants. The setting is pretty ok at best, probably partly due to the poor hold selection.
The campus board is the worst I've ever seen. It's on a slightly overhanging wall but there isn't any clearance for your legs/feet as the rungs haven't been suspended out from the wall, making it pretty much unusable.  :wall:
Their one redeeming asset, the moon room, which contains a moon board and a steep (50-60 degree I reckon?) overhanging wall has been closed for the last 6 months whilst they replace the matting. Apparently it has taken 6 months because the sewing machine broke! Also the problems in here get changed roughly twice a year it seems.

Now if they could put some kind of comp style wall in the large empty space at the back this would be a great competition venue, with enough space for a decent crowd (never gonna happen!  :no:).

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
I'd like to nominate Creation in Birmingham. Whilst it may not be the worst wall ever, I think it deserves nomination because of the massively wasted potential of this place (this strictly applies to the bouldering area - no idea on the quality of the roped climbing).

A few years ago they redid the bouldering area, expanding into space from the recently acquired skate park next door and the result was majorly disappointing; the angles are crap, too many vertical walls with corners/arêtes etc and the couple of overhanging sections are small and tbh pants. The setting is pretty ok at best, probably partly due to the poor hold selection.
The campus board is the worst I've ever seen. It's on a slightly overhanging wall but there isn't any clearance for your legs/feet as the rungs haven't been suspended out from the wall, making it pretty much unusable.  :wall:
Their one redeeming asset, the moon room, which contains a moon board and a steep (50-60 degree I reckon?) overhanging wall has been closed for the last 6 months whilst they replace the matting. Apparently it has taken 6 months because the sewing machine broke! Also the problems in here get changed roughly twice a year it seems.

Now if they could put some kind of comp style wall in the large empty space at the back this would be a great competition venue, with enough space for a decent crowd (never gonna happen!  :no:).

I knew this one would come up...
Firstly, I'm not a great fan of this sort of thread. I feel it always gets a little personal.
I think it's worth remembering a couple of things...
For £6, I think you get your money's worth on the first visit. You've paid, and know what you're getting. If you continue to go and pay, that sends out the wrong message to the owners (it's fine and I'll keep coming). Very few people complain (we are indeed, British).

Then there's the clientele. They're not boulderers. Most of the money comes from school groups/scouts/youth clubs etc. The money goes there rather than the bouldering wall area.

Lastly (and historically) there have never been many climbers who are capable or experienced enough to set in the bouldering area who live in Birmingham that are willing to work there for the pay offered (see my second point).

I hope that explains a few things. I've never worked there but the owners were always very kind and generous to me when I lived there. Never forget that all of these walls are businesses and money is the ultimate goal. It's not a public service. If you don't like it, say something or vote with your feet.

( :sorry:I put the campus rungs in because I wanted a board. I used it and it help me to train a weakness. It worked for me and the angle is correct. If your feet are flailing around hitting the wall you're doing it wrong.)

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
Interesting thread.  Well done. 

Generally I find centres that are only bouldering are miles ahead of mixed climbing places.  The climbing is fun and interesting and challenging.  Those where route setters are also doing roped routes tend to just not get bouldering. 

Examples are the excellent Craggy2 and Climb Newcastle, both pure bouldering and both 10/10 from me for their setting.  Sadly white spider is my nearest.  It's ok but not as good.  I continue to give them feedback and they are building a big bouldering comp wall so hopefully they've heard me moaning.

This is all I can suggest... Tell them why you don't enjoy it.  They won't know unless they get told!! 

abarro81

• forum hero
I put the campus rungs in because I wanted a board. I used it and it help me to train a weakness. It worked for me and the angle is correct. If your feet are flailing around hitting the wall you're doing it wrong.)

I've never seen this set-up, but in my experience any campus board which is not set out from the wall with reasonable clearance (height and depth) is total crap. So it's not just him 'doing it wrong'...

andyd

• forum hero
I put the campus rungs in because I wanted a board. I used it and it help me to train a weakness. It worked for me and the angle is correct. If your feet are flailing around hitting the wall you're doing it wrong.)

I've never seen this set-up, but in my experience any campus board which is not set out from the wall with reasonable clearance (height and depth) is total crap. So it's not just him 'doing it wrong'...
It does have clearance at the bottom, just not as much as you'd like perhaps. I put the rungs on, I didn't build the structure.

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
Yeah, I agree the staff are friendly and tbh I know that Creation is really catering for a different market. It's never going to be a boulderer's wall as such but it has it's place.
They had a campus board up in the moon room above the doorway which was much more usable (for me anyway!), not sure why they got rid of it?
I'm mainly just frustrated that the moon room has been shut for so long... when it opens again I will rejoice and make my return :)

chris_j_s

• menacing presence
I have had a few sessions at Kendal in recent times (on the odd occasion that I've been visiting family back home) and the new bouldering wall and route setting is mediocre to poor. A lot of the angles are bad, which doesn't help, but the setting is notably balls. However, the new staff seem to be much nicer.

It's interesting how different peoples experiences can be! I don't think the setting is always the best there but I wouldn't say it was mediocre or poor and they do get a good variety of setters in these days to stop it getting samey.

Regarding angles I think they've got most angles covered in the new bouldering areas - what do you mean by bad angles?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
They had a campus board up in the moon room above the doorway which was much more usable (for me anyway!), not sure why they got rid of it?

Because it was in front of a doorway perhaps?

I'd imagine having to dodge someone campusing as you enter/exit a room is as frustrating as idiots who stand in front of doorways having conversations, oblivious to the fact that they are causing an obstruction.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac

I knew this one would come up...
Firstly, I'm not a great fan of this sort of thread. I feel it always gets a little personal.
I think it's worth remembering a couple of things...
For £6, I think you get your money's worth on the first visit. You've paid, and know what you're getting. If you continue to go and pay, that sends out the wrong message to the owners (it's fine and I'll keep coming). Very few people complain (we are indeed, British).

Then there's the clientele. They're not boulderers. Most of the money comes from school groups/scouts/youth clubs etc. The money goes there rather than the bouldering wall area.

Lastly (and historically) there have never been many climbers who are capable or experienced enough to set in the bouldering area who live in Birmingham that are willing to work there for the pay offered (see my second point).

I hope that explains a few things. I've never worked there but the owners were always very kind and generous to me when I lived there. Never forget that all of these walls are businesses and money is the ultimate goal. It's not a public service. If you don't like it, say something or vote with your feet.

( :sorry:I put the campus rungs in because I wanted a board. I used it and it help me to train a weakness. It worked for me and the angle is correct. If your feet are flailing around hitting the wall you're doing it wrong.)

I disagree with the setting comment, I knew a lot of people who were good setters and were willing to work but they didnt seem to want their help, this wasn't an issue of pay as some were willing to do it free. The main issue is or was the lack of variety of setters. One or two people setting isnt going to give much variety of styles even if theyre the best in the world.

The campus rungs weren't great as I would say I'm decent at campusing and the lack of leg swinging ruins it, it also means that you cant do anything dynamic or big. That being said I never really used them as the rungs were too big.

That being said the moon room was always pretty great and to be fair the matting did need sorting.

As said before lots of wasted potential and I feel the centre was better before the new bouldering wall when there was just a small one with a few good problems.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/climbing-wall-manufacturers-association

http://www.climbingwallindustry.org/index.php/standards/

This is the wall I started climbing on - built mid 80's and one of the first DR walls in the country I believe:
http://www.lindseyclimbingclub.co.uk/movies/index.php

It was fun being being creative and making up problems to burn your mates off on.

Danny

• junky
I have had a few sessions at Kendal in recent times (on the odd occasion that I've been visiting family back home) and the new bouldering wall and route setting is mediocre to poor. A lot of the angles are bad, which doesn't help, but the setting is notably balls. However, the new staff seem to be much nicer.

It's interesting how different peoples experiences can be! I don't think the setting is always the best there but I wouldn't say it was mediocre or poor and they do get a good variety of setters in these days to stop it getting samey.

Regarding angles I think they've got most angles covered in the new bouldering areas - what do you mean by bad angles?

Admittedly I've only visited the new bouldering bit a couple of times, corresponding to to about 8 visits climbing on two different 'sets' so I can't offer any insight into the long term consistency of the problems.

The angles are often too tight to offer setters a bit of creative leeway using volumes and the like. Examples are the boxed in roof-into-barrel feature. Too small and pokey to allow good movement, and you can smear and drop knee your way out of most of it. Similarly, that narrow prow over by the fire escape is a waste of space. As for the roof in the other room, all the problems I climbed on it were terrible. The fact that  two badly made square volumes were stuck to the underside of it at the time probably didn't help.

georgenorth

• regular

Admittedly I've only visited the new bouldering bit a couple of times, corresponding to to about 8 visits climbing on two different 'sets' so I can't offer any insight into the long term consistency of the problems.

The angles are often too tight to offer setters a bit of creative leeway using volumes and the like. Examples are the boxed in roof-into-barrel feature. Too small and pokey to allow good movement, and you can smear and drop knee your way out of most of it. Similarly, that narrow prow over by the fire escape is a waste of space. As for the roof in the other room, all the problems I climbed on it were terrible. The fact that  two badly made square volumes were stuck to the underside of it at the time probably didn't help.

I've been visiting Kendal Wall pretty regularly for the about the last 15 years and it wouldn't make it anywhere near my list of worst walls. However I'd agree with the point above about walls rarely combining great bouldering and routes. Certainly in the case of Kendal it's pretty obvious that the management just don't 'get' bouldering and the criticisms above about the poor use of space and bad setting are frequently heard amongst both regulars and visitors to the bouldering area. Sadly from the climbers point of view there's clearly more money to be made out of groups using the 'Crazy Climb', Via Ferrata(!) or Top roping areas, than from the likes of the users of this forum. This seems to have been particularly bad over the last year when the wall has been developing into more of a tourist attraction than a climbing facility, which has definitely been to the detriment of both the routes and bouldering.

Personally speaking it's just a shame that the excellent Eden Rock is too far away for an evening visit!

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth

No this is an immense problem. I have battles with our setters constantly, particularly at the lower end circuits. They struggle to grasp what "absolute beginner" means and cannot seem to understand that smoothly overlapping circuits of varied and increasing difficulty, enable people to progress without utter shutdown or getting bored. The attitude that "V1/V0/VB is beneath me" is going to lose some people their jobs soon...
My favourite quote "If I can do it in my flip flops, it's V1", translates to permanent toilet cleaning duties and removal of setting privileges.

Great stuff and you go and spoil it with 'absolute beginner'. I know plenty pottereing around those grades after decades of lack of interest in improvement or those facing taking it easy after injury or those who have declined to this level as they get older. All customers are important and the easiest circuts are often the busiest.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero

Great stuff and you go and spoil it with 'absolute beginner'. I know plenty pottereing around those grades after decades of lack of interest in improvement or those facing taking it easy after injury or those who have declined to this level as they get older. All customers are important and the easiest circuts are often the busiest.

Well, I'd really meant the Vb grade on that point. I have a policy that the first route on the first circuit should be doable in less than three attempts by any random person who comes through the door. Regardless of age, strength and fitness/weight (within obvious limits, but we've had some fairly challenged individuals try). The difficulty should roll smoothly up from there.
I don't believe anyone should be shutdown at their first attempt, or that they should be relegated to "just rainbow it" either.

I'm puntering around again myself, with various injuries (funny though, I know I'm not up to it, but I keep working some of the hardest problems, when no one's looking and regretting it later).

At the moment it's the purple, always set on the first wall on the left as you enter the mats (also the only fully vertical wall in the building).
The red spotties that litter the lower half of the wall are the equivalent for our less than 3 foot tall brigade....

All the Wads warm-up here too...

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
Don't want to make any nominations, but a good suggestion on circuit bouldering walls is to put in a circuit of highlights at each grade. Saw this at a london wall and it helped me get a feel for the walls grading, and pointed out some of the best problems at each grade. Good for the itinerant punter.

andyd

• forum hero
Don't want to make any nominations, but a good suggestion on circuit bouldering walls is to put in a circuit of highlights at each grade. Saw this at a london wall and it helped me get a feel for the walls grading, and pointed out some of the best problems at each grade. Good for the itinerant punter.

Some much needed positivity. Nice one :icon_welcome:

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
just to continue this positive vibe. Went to BeBoulder Widnes . Great staff really friendly even let us set problems!! :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Sloper

• forum hero
I've driven past that ont he way to Catalyst, (not a climbing wall at all) other than nice staff is the climbing actually  any good?

a dense loner

• forum hero
If we're going to address the balance can someone start a new thread about good walls? So I know which thread to read. I would but I'm only interested in the bad that way I presume all the others to be better

Sloper

• forum hero
Don't you know how to start a thread Dense or are you just too shy?   :-*

Stubbs

You seem to be the best at it Sloper!

andyd

• forum hero
 :tumble:
If we're going to address the balance can someone start a new thread about good walls? So I know which thread to read. I would but I'm only interested in the bad that way I presume all the others to be better

I was thinking this after the initial post however the title is attracting people who had a specific experience. A useful data base with a score based on user experience would be awesome. If you ask for only good or bad experiences you just get the extreme views.

But I like your thinking Dense.. :beer2:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal