UKBouldering.com

diet: lacking energy ooomph in my bouldering sessions (Read 11204 times)

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
Decided two weeks ago to drop a stone but try not too loose strength, was 13 stone 6 foot tall.  most of the weight was in my legs from years of cycling. 

so far, first couple of weeks I've lost a steady couple of pounds a week, nice and safely.  Diet is mainly more protein, tons of veg and salad and cut the crap out.  also reduced bread/pasta intake.  No rocket science, just healthier choices.  The evening meal is just that a normal mostly healthy evening meal.  No booze.

Quite happy with progress, continuing to train, ride and climb BUT last night I went indoor climbing and really just had no oomph, the tanks felt empty for the session so I climbed like a pussy and binned it off.  I had climbed Fri / Sat and done footwork on the weekend, then took Monday off, day of rest. 

I guess logic says I should eat some flapjack a few hours before I climb and get soem energy but I dont want the high calories and really am want to know what to do, protein shake?  doesnt that just add calories I dont want whilst trying to drop weight? 

I'm clearly a luddite when it comes to diet, any experts tell me where I'm going wrong. 

More pasta pastor?

a dense loner

• forum hero
What you had one shit climbing session and now you want advice about diet?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Eat some sweets on the way to the wall.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
What you had one shit climbing session and now you want advice about diet?

;D I've had plenty but this one was worse than usual and I could have fallen asleep between climbs.   ;D

sweets, noooooo that be against my law. :sick:

Stubbs

I recommend a Boost or Double Decker before climbing washed down with a cup of tea.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
sweets, noooooo that be against my law

Well there's your problem then. Did you watch that fat vs sugar thing? It's not rocket science, just eat appropriately for the activity. Sweets at a desk make you fat, during exercise they deliver energy.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Jelly Babies are good for eating while you climb as you're less aware of how much chalk you've got on them.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
Jelly Babies are good for eating while you climb as you're less aware of how much chalk you've got on them.

Genius!  Pure genius.

But avoiding sweets, any other ideas?  in pre diet days I might drink a over-caffeinated sugary drink company or coke and have a flapjack but waaaay too much sweet for loosing weight.

Paul B

• forum hero
so far, first couple of weeks I've lost a steady couple of pounds a week, nice and safely.  Diet is mainly more protein, tons of veg and salad and cut the crap out.  also reduced bread/pasta intake.  No rocket science, just healthier choices.  The evening meal is just that a normal mostly healthy evening meal.  No booze.

Watch this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03t8r4h/Horizon_20132014_Sugar_v_Fat/

and you'll understand what's going on.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
watched that when it was on telly box, didnt help.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
So you don't eat sugar and you're complaining you lack energy during exercise? But you won't start eating sugar? Try a pat of butter like the guy on the programme.

Paul B

• forum hero
watched that when it was on telly box, didnt help.

Did you have it on mute? ;D It goes through how the body uses various food sources for energy, the effect, and the pro's and con's of each.

So you don't eat sugar and you're complaining you lack energy during exercise? But you won't start eating sugar? Try a pat of butter like the guy on the programme.
:agree:

But avoiding sweets, any other ideas?  in pre diet days I might drink a over-caffeinated sugary drink company or coke and have a flapjack but waaaay too much sweet for loosing weight.

Some kind of simple carbohydrate or roll on the catabolism (if you're only worried about weight then go ahead, your original post doesn't suggest this).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Eat a banana or two then some chocolate chip cookies, if you want to be so blinkered about not eating sweets. Or some hobnobs.

What had you eaten in the hours before the training session when you felt knackered? If you say nothing you deserve a kick up the butt.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
What are the timings? Are you eating a low carb lunch at 1pm then going to the wall at 7pm....?

(I do that). I also eat a banana and a Naked bar/ small peanut butter sandwich at 5.30/6pm.

Go Nuts.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
Hmmm interesting ... ok, so ... I ate at 12.30 ish.  3 boiled eggs, a ton a chiken breast, beetroots/lettuce/olives and sliced pepper.  I followed this with a banana and an apple and yes I drank a lot of water through the day.  went climbing about 3.30/4pm. 

cowboyhat

• forum hero
If you only started dieting two weeks ago your body is probably still getting used to it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Bend over, where's my boot? :)

How long do you normally climb for?

Sugary foods are not a crime, if eaten at the right time. (such poetry!)

Trying to lose weight and have sufficient energy for strenuous exercise is a bit of a balancing act. Provided you are losing weight steadily and eating well on days when you are not doing a lot of exercise I would always err on the side of caution and get a bit of sugar in on the exercise days. Sorry if that sounds like teaching you to eat eggs!

To my untrained eye your lunch has a lot of protein and complex carbs, nothing simple to release energy from quickly, apart from the fruit? I could be wrong though.

abarro81

• forum hero
I find it hard to work, diet and train. When attempting to, I try to snack on healthy shit in the morning (veg etc) to try to eat lunch closer to the time I go climbing. Always have a couple of bits of fruit for my climbing session too. Even then, if it's an endurance session I always almost have to resort to flapjack.

Paul B

• forum hero
You always have flapjack, remember it's me that is on the other side of the counter handing it to you.

abarro81

• forum hero
Sorry. Corrected.
Even then, if it's an endurance session or a strength session or an active rest day or a day before or after a climbing day, or a day on which I've got out of bed, I always have to resort to flapjack.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
No need to modify the original post barrows, it's always an endurance session for you.

Wood FT

• forum hero
No need to modify the original post barrows, it's always an endurance session for with you.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
I think that two pounds a week could have been too much too fast. 

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
How do you know it wasn't just an off day? I haven't been on a diet and still feel weak and tired sometimes. And if you refuse to eat sweets and stuff like that, how about bananas or peanut butter or something?
When you try hard to cut weight it is going to have an effect on energy levels.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
I guess logic says I should eat some flapjack a few hours before I climb and get soem energy but I dont want the high calories
As do everyone else on here. 

A 100-200cal mixed carb snack (simple and complex/or if you prefer low and high glycemic index) about 30min before climbing should do you wonders.  If you start feeling tired during session, add another 50cal snack and give it about 10-15 nminutes and you should feel better.  Won't last long though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal