UKBouldering.com

Top Tantrums (Read 33414 times)

Lopez

• stalker
#25 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 12:13:09 pm
took off his boots then had a proper strop and threw one of them with all of his power straight at the head some BMC/UIAA bigwig

I think i remember Neil Gresham ko'd a judge throwing an ice axe to his head after being called out on an ice comp some time ago.  :boxing:

That probably got him disqualified as well. Going out with a bang comes to mind  :slap: 

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#26 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 12:15:00 pm
FBSF has a tantrum  story of continental proportions......

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#27 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 12:18:53 pm
Jasper, gme remindes me of one of my favorites.

British lead comp back in the day, Malc and Vickers qualify equal first. In final Vickers comes out and is pretty sketchy and tenuous but gets the top. Malc comes out - prob aware he needs to top - and is pissing the route. Gets to last move, doesn't like position of foot hold so smears instead, locks off ready to do move static, chalks up and foot slips. Holds it together until in corridor next to wall - in big sports hall, corridor is just a screen - starts proper swearing...

EDIT: this was a dif comp to gmes, was at Sobel sports center

LPT vickers chucking shoes into sea...

Gorple, Pickles falls off Eternal, chucks boots miles into heather. Pissed off and swearing for a bit then realises they are his only boots, spends next half hour hunting for them. Sure JB has pic of him in heather...

Plenty with JB...

Doylo

• forum hero
#28 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 12:32:23 pm
Adrian Berrys classic for them too. I remember him emptying his bag down Froggatt hill after something fell out

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#29 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 01:14:08 pm
Andy Earl was always good for a tantrum.  I remember him arriving at Kyloe-in with a video crew (for that "County" film that was due for imminent release for about 4 years) and dropping Lothlorien / Leviathan near the end.  Threw an almighty strop, kicking items up and down the crag, before storming off in a huff to Bowden on his own, abandoning the assembled crew and acolytes to their own devices.  I remember seeing him falling off a problem at the Works once and booting someone's (not his) chalk bucket up and down the length of the competition wall!

Paul B

• forum hero
#30 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 01:24:10 pm
Some random F7a in Austria.

I was wearing a pair of bagged out shoes and just couldn't for the life of me do one of the moves (after lots of effort). I found a way of avoiding the move by clearly traversing off-route and back on. Unclesomebody pointed this out. I tried again direct and failed.

Seconds later I'd ripped the offending shoe off and turned around to throw it back to earth only to note that the ground consisted of a boulder field, thus I threw it rather half-heartedly (swearing throughout). Obviously, the shoe disappeared down one of the gaping holes.

Back on the floor a local woman sheepishly walked over and handed me a torch to go and look for my shoe (realised just how twattish I was being just then). The rest of the afternoon was wasted searching until I finally went and sat by the edge of the river to try and calm down. The shoe was on top of a tiny boulder at the edge of the flow waiting to be washed off.

Since this I have been better behaved. Although I did write off a whole day at the Needles this year when I found somebody was on the route I'd planned...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#31 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 01:25:34 pm
Me.

La Palud campsite, Verdon, 80's early 90's?
Off-duty Gendarme in camper next to our tents, annoyed by our noise comes out with bucket of water. Me all unsuspecting, copped it straight in face. Took four people to hold me down...

Wood FT

• forum hero
#32 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 01:46:06 pm
I fell off a 7b in Siurana in front of Megos et al and got a sort-of-but-not-that-bad harsh catch, I let out a yelp, shouted at my belayer and had a little paddy. I realised I looked like a twat so took off my shoes and pretended to nurse a bad ankle as I was slowly lowered down. 

Wood FT

• forum hero
#33 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 01:49:22 pm
I was climbing with three nine in Gordale when on Revival he pulled a brick sized lump off which missed a foreign student's head by a foot, he went absolutely bat shit mental to all passers by saying how he could have killed them.

he went and apologized after.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#34 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 01:55:57 pm
The Andy Earl strop is brilliant, not least because his mates keep filming! Brilliant.

Kicking someone else's chalk bag is also a good effort

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#35 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 02:14:38 pm
I got utterly spanked by the File when I hadn't been climbing long enough to realise that I wasn't an amazing climbing prodigy who'd never fail on a route. Stood screaming at the moor for a solid 5 minutes. When I calmed down a bit I turned round to see my mates  exchanging "what a prick" looks with a crowd of walkers who'd gathered to see what the fuss was about.  :look:

abarro81

• forum hero
#36 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 03:11:36 pm
No idea if it's true but I got told that earl was so angry after falling off the top of progress that he span his car on the way home.

Doylo

• forum hero
#37 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 03:22:14 pm
Three Nine on Mussel Beach. Like a cat on helium getting strangled

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#38 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 03:26:00 pm
^^^ I nearly sharted reading that.

BB, we need more tales of JB tantrums.

rosmat

• menacing presence
#39 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 03:31:11 pm
B) Where do I begin??

Failing on a F6C slab in a quarry near Cadair Idris, having spent 30 minutes doing the crux move and slipping off the next one. Bellowing CUUUNNNTTTT at the top of my voice, throwing all my quickdraws to the ground, and chucking my shoes over the edge of the next tier of quarry >:(

Failing on Traveller In Time due to cowardice, bellowing in rage again, and smashed my helmet to pieces against the rock >:(

Failing on Witches Tooth due to cowardice, screaming and shouting and actually started self-flagellating my leg with a rack of wires I was so angry >:(

Failing on Ivy League due to cowardice, more bellowing and shouting, abseiled down for gear and threw every bit to the ground, was on the verge of just letting myself drop to the ground I was that furious. Took me a few whiskeys and a full day to calm down >:(

Erm, I think you might be forgetting falling off the O/S of Alexis Zorbas in Kalymnos..... :whistle:

I could be wrong but...... I seem to remember a 15 minute tirade of obscenities :furious: including "you fucking Lepers cunt", before your Anasazi’s were thrown down to the bottom of the hill at Spartacus.

Incidentally it is top of my list of "Top Tantrums" witnessed.

mendis

• regular
#40 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 03:38:46 pm
Turnip is capable of a good shoe throw/loud obscenities tantrum. Minor one at 5:45:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#41 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 03:44:39 pm
I could be wrong but...... I seem to remember a 15 minute tirade of obscenities :furious: including "you fucking Lepers cunt", before your Anasazi’s were thrown down to the bottom of the hill at Spartacus.

Incidentally it is top of my list of "Top Tantrums" witnessed.

Ah christ, how did I forget that one?? Yes that is right up there. What a fucking punter, so surprised I did the crux I decided to let go of the good hold.

I think Jade fetched my shoes while everyone else cleared a large area around me, bless.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#42 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 03:58:54 pm
"you fucking Lepers cunt"

Lol. My most recent bad one was getting off the bergschrund on North Howser Tower in the Bugaboos. About as strung out as I've ever been after a 900m  extreme ghyll scramble (5.11+) on the last of our meagre rations. Our last ab left us stranded on the downhill lip with a steep frozen snow slope to get down with massive crevasses at the bottom. Ben had the crampons so could walk down, I had tennies and an ice axe. In a 'clever' moment I plunged the axe in the snow, told Ben to stand on it, and abseiled off it. It ripped. I did a self-arrest with my fingernails, screamed obscenities for a bit, then stomped off back to the tent (about an hour) in a massive huff. On arrival the locals wandered over to ask 'how the route was?' 'Fucking shit' I told them, tripped over, threw my sac into the scree and dived into the tent. Once I'd got the noodles on I cheered up a bit, a good hour and a half total.

cofe

• forum hero
#43 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 04:18:02 pm
I find my failures quite annoying.

I'm debating whether to dig out the THEM! strop video from a couple of years back!

Wood FT

• forum hero
#44 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 04:25:48 pm
"you fucking Lepers cunt"

Lol. My most recent bad one was getting off the bergschrund on North Howser Tower in the Bugaboos. About as strung out as I've ever been after a 900m  extreme ghyll scramble (5.11+) on the last of our meagre rations. Our last ab left us stranded on the downhill lip with a steep frozen snow slope to get down with massive crevasses at the bottom. Ben had the crampons so could walk down, I had tennies and an ice axe. In a 'clever' moment I plunged the axe in the snow, told Ben to stand on it, and abseiled off it. It ripped. I did a self-arrest with my fingernails, screamed obscenities for a bit, then stomped off back to the tent (about an hour) in a massive huff. On arrival the locals wandered over to ask 'how the route was?' 'Fucking shit' I told them, tripped over, threw my sac into the scree and dived into the tent. Once I'd got the noodles on I cheered up a bit, a good hour and a half total.

I didn't let it out but that most annoyed I've been at climbing ever was walking down a melting snow patch above a drop utterly exhausted. It all felt absurd and I just wanted a solero.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#45 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 04:26:16 pm
You guys have some great stories. 

Bets I've seen was while bouldering at the top of a big hill/crag.  My friend falls, throws his shoes and chalkbag and they go 30-40 feet down the hill, then he picks up the boulder pad and throws it like a Frisbee, the wind gets it and the pad just keeps flying.  Both of stand there in shocked silence just watching the pad fly away....  It finally landed about 600-800 feet down the hill.  Couldn't believe it could go that far....

205Chris

• forum hero
#46 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 04:28:43 pm
I've surprised Shark hasn't posted this one yet

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#47 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 04:29:08 pm
 :lol: brilliant! @ Sasquatch

Also @ shark and @ JB's tripping over tent dive huff.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#48 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 04:37:11 pm
Turnip is capable of a good shoe throw/loud obscenities tantrum. Minor one at 5:45:

Seemed to work, great video BTW. Serious arms as well.

I once got some Sheffielders brushstick (three of them actually) stuck in a tree in Font, they were very pissed off and heard to mutter "no wonder they are so shit, they don't even take it seriously"...very very funny.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#49 Re: Top Tantrums
January 17, 2014, 04:39:59 pm
No idea if it's true but I got told that earl was so angry after falling off the top of progress that he span his car on the way home.

As a former long-term denizen of the North East, I find it hard to question any tale of Earl Jr's strops.  His reputation for angry sulks entered "the Tyson Zone" long ago! 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tyson%20Zone

Basically, if I was told he got so angry "dabbing" at Brimham that he toppled over the Druid's Idol and wrote-off his car by trying to drive home with it mounted on the car bonnet, I'd think "well, it sounds unlikely but....."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal