UKBouldering.com

Top Tantrums (Read 33651 times)

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#75 Re: Top Tantrums
January 18, 2014, 10:42:09 am
Lol. My most recent bad one was getting off the bergschrund on North Howser Tower in the Bugaboos. About as strung out as I've ever been after a 900m  extreme ghyll scramble (5.11+) on the last of our meagre rations. Our last ab left us stranded on the downhill lip with a steep frozen snow slope to get down with massive crevasses at the bottom. Ben had the crampons so could walk down, I had tennies and an ice axe. In a 'clever' moment I plunged the axe in the snow, told Ben to stand on it, and abseiled off it. It ripped. I did a self-arrest with my fingernails, screamed obscenities for a bit, then stomped off back to the tent (about an hour) in a massive huff. On arrival the locals wandered over to ask 'how the route was?' 'Fucking shit' I told them, tripped over, threw my sac into the scree and dived into the tent. Once I'd got the noodles on I cheered up a bit, a good hour and a half total.

To be fair when reaching the top of that route I was the closest I have ever been to chucking my boots away. 900m of choss - the first pitch was good and so was the last but by then I was completely over it. Funny thing is I now think it is a great route and would highly recommend it to anyone...

Think the tantrum was deserved as you had just nearly died.

Remember a similar glacier stomping in a strop scene in Patagonia, on way back from Poincenot you were desperate to get a photo before the light went and stormed off along the glacier (unroped) to get it, took to long and had a little shout. You missed one of my favorite alpine moments through being so far ahead - Jvan falling through a hidden crevasse but catching himself by spreading his arms. All I could see was his head and arms poking out of the snow. He tried swinging his feet to get crampons into wall of crevasse but couldn't touch anything. Started shouting for me to rescue him. I dropped bag and started commando crawling towards him, long before I got there he mantled out. We roped up from then on...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#76 Re: Top Tantrums
January 18, 2014, 11:48:10 am
I don't think I've ever had a a tantrum but I've held GME and Martin Daley's ropes for many years so my fair share of looking at the floor whilst it goes off above me.

I was belaying Gav at the Foundry years ago as he was f(l)ailing on a route.  He fell off again and shouted at the top of his voice "For fooks sake Gavin, yer climbin' like a fookin' woman!" as Ruth cruised past him on the adjacent route.  He was a bit embarrassed afterwards.

tomtom

• forum hero
#77 Re: Top Tantrums
January 18, 2014, 12:02:16 pm
I rarely have outbursts... but...

2-3 years ago I was having a concerted effort at Deliverance over a number of sessions.. I was getting closer and closer and closer - and one go I just had it hooked up. Arm swing, leap, throw, latch - grabbed a huge load of the top hold and for some reason I decided not to switch on my grip muscle and I just let go. I landed on the mats fine and bellowed 'CUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTT' as loud as possible and then beat my mat with my fists.

I looked up and Percy (I think) was taking a group out climbing (looked like it was their first gritstone experience) and warming them up on the Pebble... He gave me a somewhat surprised but 'oh well' look and some of his group looked rather confused.

I packed up and went home.

I've never got as close as that since to doing the problem by the way

:D

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#78 Re: Top Tantrums
January 18, 2014, 06:51:22 pm
Awesome thread.  :popcorn:
Rarely have climbing related tantrums. When Mrs Obi got sand in a mint camera I'd bought off Cofe three days earlier I was pretty cross.  :-[ I was probably hungry at the time which always makes me techy. Some of the hunger tantrums my kids now throw are pretty funny, can't think who they get that from.  :-[

abarro81

• forum hero
#79 Re: Top Tantrums
January 18, 2014, 07:29:18 pm
I don't really get the rage so much in terms of shouting and screaming, I just get sulky and moan a lot. I remember years ago I went to Wales for a week, near the start of the trip I went to try to flash pretty girls make graves, did the hard bit and punted off the easier top section when my foot slipped. Every few hours for the rest of that trip I would stop whatever I was doing and exclaim something along the lines of "I'm such a stupid dick".

Best tantrum I've seen was Robbie P off the Soul Sacrifice in Loup. Took a huge falling having skipped the last clip, screamed, shouted threw shoes and kneepads off into the trees and stormed off from the crag not to be seen for half an hour. Had to get a random friendly local to belay me whilst I waited for him to calm down and return.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#80 Re: Top Tantrums
January 18, 2014, 09:04:05 pm
Can't really remember many of my own. I tend to get more frustrated by getting shut down by conditions or skin. I've dropped the last hold on Puddlejumper and Poema de Roca and that resulted in an involuntary cry of frustration but that's about as bad as it's got.

Sean Jacobs chucking his shoes away at Earl Crag after falling off something that I think we had pissed.

Turnip is, I think, Yorkshire's most notorious toy-from-pram thrower. Anybody who has witnessed it will know!

Doylo

• forum hero
#81 Re: Top Tantrums
January 18, 2014, 09:10:12 pm
I've seen Turnip lose it, not a nice sight

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#82 Re: Top Tantrums
January 18, 2014, 09:18:55 pm
New years resolutions!

Stubbs

#83 Re: Top Tantrums
January 18, 2014, 09:24:30 pm
I'm Turnip's anger management coach, he's almost a reformed character!

At the works last year he fell off the slab, stubbed his toe, swore loudly then took his boot off and threw it at the wall, think he had the attention of the whole building!

webbo

• forum hero
#84 Re: Top Tantrums
January 18, 2014, 09:48:49 pm
I heard a story of a blond haired rock god of yesteryear, who after falling off a route at Boux launched such a rant at his mother who was belaying. Passers by had to intervene to remind him how to behave. :worms:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#85 Re: Top Tantrums
January 18, 2014, 10:00:30 pm
Can no one beat... Massive massive dose of swearing... All gear thrown into the down slope of face west at Buoux... Stomping back from the crag all the way to Apt on foot... Kicking the tent in... Leaving all u own and hitching... With like nothing.... All the way back to Sheffield?

And still, still being in one when you get back home???

Raise the anty everyone... ( great thread btw...) - not me above-

Oh, and I think I was the first peep to be threatened to have to leave the Foundry for bad language ( of which I'm not proud)..... Another story...

abarro81

• forum hero
#86 Re: Top Tantrums
January 18, 2014, 10:10:00 pm
 :lol: That's some rage there!

rosmat

• menacing presence
#87 Re: Top Tantrums
January 18, 2014, 11:57:27 pm
Two words: Mark McQuaid

McQuaid rage is legendary. Pretty sure Mossad attempted to recruit him for use on only the most deadly missions.

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
#88 Re: Top Tantrums
January 19, 2014, 08:41:45 am

McQuaid rage is legendary. Pretty sure Mossad attempted to recruit him for use on only the most deadly missions.

I've never witnessed the rage in person but there's a quick glimpse at the end of this:

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
#89 Re: Top Tantrums
January 19, 2014, 09:21:04 am

Haha, it wasn't pretty when me and Mark used to climb together. I've got some amazing rage footage of Mark.

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
#90 Re: Top Tantrums
January 19, 2014, 09:26:00 am
I'll try and dig out the footage of when he was dropping the top of Pressure 8B at Dumby, he'll love me for that ;)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#91 Re: Top Tantrums
January 19, 2014, 10:28:38 am

Haha, it wasn't pretty when me and Mark used to climb together. I've got some amazing rage footage of Mark.

You two made the Dumby neds seems quiet and polite ;-)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#92 Re: Top Tantrums
January 19, 2014, 11:44:11 am
I'm usually quite calm, being used to punting, but had a small moment after completely missing the good slot on The Terrace... JohnM filmed it also.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#93 Re: Top Tantrums
January 19, 2014, 12:31:10 pm
At the works last year he fell off the slab, stubbed his toe, swore loudly then took his boot off and threw it at the wall, think he had the attention of the whole building!

I fairness, stubbing your toe whilst falling off in a tight climbing shoe does really, really hurt. I've done it, didn't throw a tantrum but my cry of pain did attract a first aid rescue party from a team that was climbing routes nearby. Had to be very careful putting climbing shoes on for weeks afterwards.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#94 Re: Top Tantrums
January 19, 2014, 09:06:42 pm
Punted off a polished slab at los cotos. Screamed Fucking Cunting Twat as loud as I could. Took my shoe off and launched into the trees and while still sitting on the rope.

Belayer asked if I wanted to be lowered.
I then spent the whole time she lowered Swearing at her, the route, the crag my mates sun bathing. Got to the bottom spend 10 mins swearing while looking for my shoe. Went sat down next to the sun bathers.

Then one of my mates turned to me gave me a hug and asked if I wanted a biscuit or a sweety. At which point everyone at the crag burst out laughing.

andy popp

• forum hero
#95 Re: Top Tantrums
January 19, 2014, 09:16:54 pm
This thread has made me wonder whether an occasional tantrum can be a good thing, in terms of climbing performance? I've never had a tantrum, not because I'm some sort of saint, its just not in my character - maybe I need to get angrier?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#96 Re: Top Tantrums
January 19, 2014, 09:28:06 pm
Me too...I've never had one climbing in my life. I normally just shrug; say a quiet "fuck" or just laugh.  I've also been told I don't try hard enough... Probably related.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#97 Re: Top Tantrums
January 19, 2014, 09:52:24 pm
This thread has considerably brightened a rather gloomy day.

This thread has made me wonder whether an occasional tantrum can be a good thing, in terms of climbing performance? I've never had a tantrum, not because I'm some sort of saint, its just not in my character - maybe I need to get angrier?

Me neither. I can sulk for England though, a rather less attractive response. I suspect the occasional tantrum is a good thing, it shows you care.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#98 Re: Top Tantrums
January 19, 2014, 10:08:37 pm
Then one of my mates turned to me gave me a hug and asked if I wanted a biscuit or a sweety. At which point everyone at the crag burst out laughing.
That has definitely brightened any day!! Did you get a sweetie??  ;D

I swear because I care  :yes:

P.S. old skool legends can't complain about inadequate climbing performance  :jab:

ghisino

• forum abuser
#99 Re: Top Tantrums
January 19, 2014, 11:01:38 pm
This thread has made me wonder whether an occasional tantrum can be a good thing, in terms of climbing performance?

being heavily prone to mild tantrums i'd say that it can be a good or bad thing depending on circumstances (especially how climbing partners and people at the crag feel about it!) and how you handle it.

taking advantage of it probably requires some experience, maturity and consciousness about your own "sport psychology".
My early tantrums were often socially embarassing and, at best, neutral in terms of performance.
Years later i can at least apologize effectively and after some shouting and grunting i often calm down and start off with much better focus.
When it works it's like the safety valve in a pressure cooker.

in this sense, another anecdote.
Sometimes we take my gf's little brother (aged 14 now) climbing.
Despite being a very occasional climber, he seems to take it very seriously: any failure to do a route or boulder in less than 3 attemps results in a nervious breakdown and tears, lasting up to 20 minutes...No way to comfort him, when in this state the boy just needs to be left alone...encouragements or attemps to just have a laugh together about it end up in even more drama!

...clear example of someone who hasn't learned yet how to channel it and turn it into a positive thing!  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal