UKBouldering.com

New probs near Bath (Read 9888 times)

Simon S

• menacing presence
New probs near Bath
June 24, 2004, 08:39:23 pm
There have been a couple of new problems done by Tim Hutchinson. The most impressive is a long (30 hand movement ) traverse which is thought to be around 8bish. It is in woodland near bath that contains only two boulders(sadly!).  The other is a V8 roof which Tim describes as "totally class". This has been repeated by his mate Jimbo who confirmed the grade.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 New probs near Bath
June 24, 2004, 09:04:27 pm
8b as in font? :shock:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 New probs near Bath
June 24, 2004, 10:24:27 pm
Effort T.H. !

I'm assuming this is route 8b if it's a big traverse?

Is this at the Bath Crag-x that starts with a B and ends with a D ?

Buoux 8C

• menacing presence
#3 New probs near Bath
June 24, 2004, 11:21:33 pm
Hi Tim, i have sent you a Private mesage but not sure if it worked, if you havent got it send me your email address and il re send it. If you did i lok forward to your reply.
Nice one on problems by the way, rich

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#4 New probs near Bath
June 25, 2004, 05:08:24 pm
I wish I could climb font 8b, but no, you couldn't give this problem a proper bouldering grade despite it being on a boulder.  It's about 45foot long so is more power/endurance, although there are a few hardish moves on it, in fact all the moves are just really awkward with loads of weight on your arms all the time.  Obviously I'm not massively experienced in route grades, so a repeat may show me to be way off the mark, we shall see.

Yes this was at the crag-x beginning with B and ending in D.  Videos will be done soon, honest.  Made a load last year, but the guy who took them disappeard around the world skydiving never to be seen again.

Cheers to Si for helping me out with training equipment, I couldn't touch this 9months ago.  Proof that training works.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 New probs near Bath
June 28, 2004, 10:03:59 pm
Here's some pics:

dave

#6 New probs near Bath
June 28, 2004, 10:28:36 pm
bites lip very hard, bites lip very hard........don't say it dave, don't say it.....ahhhhhhhhh!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 New probs near Bath
June 28, 2004, 10:30:05 pm
:D

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#8 New probs near Bath
June 29, 2004, 08:07:49 pm
Say what?  I'm paranoid now.

It's got to be something along the lines of you hating limestone, or the blatant product placement.  Bord mats really are good by the way. :D

Go ahead, say it anyway, I'm not easily offended.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 New probs near Bath
June 29, 2004, 09:26:10 pm
It just looks like a bit of a bag O' shite  :P   :wink:

I'm sure the climbing is great, but it just not a terribly inspiring bit of rock!

That said, I've been to B*****d and thoroughly enjoyed it, and I know it's a lot more pleasant than it's green-ness would suggest, but I think that's what Dave was on about.

No offense meant to you though Tim  :D

AndyR

• forum hero
#10 New probs near Bath
June 30, 2004, 09:50:17 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
It just looks like a bit of a bag O' shite  :P   :wink:

Hate to say it (not that I want to piss on anyones parade), but the same thoughts had gone through my mind. But then, I lived in Brizzle for about eight years, so I know how tricky it is to find decent bouldering in that neck of the woods.

dave

#11 New probs near Bath
June 30, 2004, 10:05:57 am
that nail-head has been squarely hit.

:saythat:

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#12 New probs near Bath
June 30, 2004, 10:12:03 am
Oh!  Is that all.  You should have just said.  Yeah, you're right, it is a bag O'shite, but like AndyR says, beggars can't be choosers.  In its defence though it was first thing in the morning and the sun hadn't come up over the hill, and the forest makes it a lot darker.  It looks a lot better in winter when there aren't any leaves, but it certainly isn't Font.

You should visit Gollums cave in Bristol, now that really is a bag O'shite.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#13 New probs near Bath
June 30, 2004, 10:23:45 am
where is it T.H.? i started climbin while at bath uni. the only possible thing you could say in it's defence is that it's better than the outside uni wall was. which isn't sayin much.
as for gollums, it stinks of piss n tramps. the only thing i ever did there was turn round n walk back out  :lol:

AndyR

• forum hero
#14 New probs near Bath
June 30, 2004, 10:30:11 am
Quote from: "T.H."

You speak the truth! Even having spent many summer evenings there, I don't have a shred of fondness for the place, but then, compared to Harvey's Wall............ :roll:

Doylo

• forum hero
#15 New probs near Bath
June 30, 2004, 11:15:08 am

well it was good enough for OTE to publish a two page article on it complete with a photo topo of the numbered holds. I showed it to dave graham in france a few years back and needless to say he hasn't bothered visiting britain yet.Embarassing.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#16 New probs near Bath
June 30, 2004, 11:18:37 am
name droppin again chris? :wink:

Doylo

• forum hero
#17 New probs near Bath
June 30, 2004, 11:26:04 am
can't help myself, friend to the stars me you know, i even met james pearson once

a dense loner

• forum hero
#18 New probs near Bath
June 30, 2004, 11:38:13 am
now that is an impressive tick! he's sponsored by a paper sizing company don't you know

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#19 New probs near Bath
June 30, 2004, 02:25:30 pm
The boulders are across the valley from the uni, less than a mile I reckon.  It's only a small place, for locals to muck around on really.  About 25-30 problems, loads of eliminates aswell.  Probably only about 10 worth doing if you did happen to stop there on your way somewhere better.  Definitely not worth making a proper journey for.  I use the place as a bench mark, do a few months training, go back, and see how the problems feel.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#20 New probs near Bath
July 01, 2004, 02:41:00 pm
i was down there last night tim, didn't seem to be any chalk on that traverse  :wink:
Good effort on finally doing it, do you start on the bottom arete for it, or traverse in across the bottom face?

Can you mail me with some details of the other stuff you've done on the front face there - i've lost your email describing them and it's good to have some stuff to go at

by the way, you can buy that boulder and surrounding woodland for £33k if you're interested..

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#21 New probs near Bath
July 01, 2004, 06:27:44 pm
Three reasons for no chalk, the first is that there's no point for a rest and a re-chalk so you have to do most of the problem au naturel.  Secondly, I am a very effical climber, and therefore remove all sign that I have been there.  Thirdly, it's been pissing down with rain since I did it.

I've e-mailied you with the info.

Paz

• junky
#22 New probs near Bath
July 05, 2004, 04:57:33 pm
Good effort mate!.  If you're after something similar, there's a 'French 8a' traverse at Brean described in the new guide which is obviously eclipsed by the extremely popular trad routes but forget these it's good.  Watch out for a few sharp holds, but there's only one hard move (the one I haven't done), but it's probably soft and on reasonable rock.

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#23 New probs near Bath
July 05, 2004, 06:46:34 pm
Cheers Paz, I've spoken to Crocker about the traverse.  I keep meaning to get on it, but things keep happening.  If I don't go to N. Wales and it stays dry this weekend I'm going to go and give it a go.  If you're about give me a shout.  There's supposed to be a hardcore roof problem next to it too, mmmmm.

Buoux 8C

• menacing presence
#24 New probs near Bath
July 05, 2004, 07:26:33 pm
Alrite Tim

Il go to brean with you, its near weston Super Mare right?

Is it the same place as the routes? i will be free this weekend if your keen.

Also if you go to wales this weekend ley me know might be keen ot go aswell.
cu rich

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal