UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !! (Read 283582 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#675 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 26, 2020, 02:37:37 pm
Fatneck - I find the autotrader app really useful for this type of thing. You can filter it according to number of seats, petrol diesel, price range etc... then check (on the options it leaves you with) what brands and models there are - and finally get to see some prices.

Whilst you don't have to use it to find THE car, it gives you an idea of price spread and availability....

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#676 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 26, 2020, 03:21:17 pm
Thanks everyone and yes Tom - Autotrader app is great!

Going to visit a few potential's on Sunday  ;D

tomtom

• forum hero
#677 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 26, 2020, 03:22:51 pm
Thanks everyone and yes Tom - Autotrader app is great!

Going to visit a few potential's on Sunday  ;D

I started looking for you 😂

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#678 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 26, 2020, 04:08:29 pm
Si to save you some time if you send me links to the ones you are looking at and I can let you know if I have already been and viewed... We are looking at same price and mileage in the same area so I might be able to cross some off for you and save you the time of traveling to view something shite.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#679 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 26, 2020, 04:59:09 pm
What if you both spy the same one? Ro-Sham-Bo for it?

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#680 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 26, 2020, 06:22:23 pm
If I see a good one it will be getting bought! Just I have looked at 10-15 cars over the last two weekends and not found a decent one yet - even though they looked good on Autotrader... Thought I could maybe save the hassle of travelling to look at some of the dross

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#681 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 27, 2020, 01:13:35 pm
Anyone got any thoughts/knowledge on MPVs?

We're in the market for a new used car planning to spend £6-10k. Always had cheap high mileage estate cars (currently slumming it in a 2006 Vauxhall Astra on 130k miles :strongbench:) and changed them every 3-4 years but the birth of a granddaughter, a decision to invest in something a bit more long-term and the prospect or more grandsprogs in the coming years has me thinking about an MPV.

My boss has a Ford Grand C-Max and rates it. I like the look of the Zafira Tourer and Citroen C4 Grand and there's plenty of all types around in the 25-40k mileage in our price range.

Has anyone on here got one and/or has preferences?

Cheers

I was looking at a Mazda 5 as a sensible family shed - partly due to having been in nai's - seemed to relatively scant, but what was out there was sensible in terms of mileage and condition.

Also researched C-Maxes, plenty of them about so you can be more choosy.

That said, I swiftly pivoted and purchased a 200bhp, 4-door, mid-2000s saloon from a defunct car company instead. Shows what I know about sensible.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#682 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 13, 2020, 02:44:33 pm
The mighty Fabia has died (multiple organ failure). This could easily have gone in NNFN but as it cost £1300 and has given me 125k miles over 13 years I can't complain.

I want a slightly bigger version of the same: slow, boring, spartan, reliable, economical and with as few electrics as possible. More boot space would be good. Has to be Petrol  Euro 4 (or Diesel Euro 6 but this is likely to break the budget) as we live within what will become the extended ULEZ.

Budget up to £5k? Suggestions or offers...?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#683 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 13, 2020, 02:58:14 pm
boring, spartan

If you're talking about the car that's painted in a shade that Leo Fender would have described as "Sea Foam Green" I'm not sure these are the right adjectives.  8)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#684 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 13, 2020, 02:58:35 pm
The mighty Fabia has died (multiple organ failure). This could easily have gone in NNFN but as it cost £1300 and has given me 125k miles over 13 years I can't complain.

Thats the deal of the century. You can't expect to ever get lucky buying cars again after that  :lol:

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#685 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 13, 2020, 03:14:02 pm
Duncan; petrol Skoda Roomster

seems about the same size as a Fabia estate but with more boot height. Some pretty cheap ones on autotrader. For what its worth I happen to think they look pretty good for a car of that type.

Paul B

• forum hero
#686 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 13, 2020, 04:18:08 pm
Duncan; petrol Skoda Roomster

seems about the same size as a Fabia estate but with more boot height. Some pretty cheap ones on autotrader. For what its worth I happen to think they look pretty good for a car of that type.

I own an Octavia (2011 vRS; diesel) and it has been great. I'd buy an Octavia over a Roomster. The engine range will likely be exactly the same.

I think my boot currently has 3 pads in it and my site PPE with the cover over. I went for the Octy over a 3 series as I was worried the tapering of the boot on the 3 (both towards the rear and from the roof) would make it too small but I was totally wrong, she looks lost in it (and has actually bent an interior panel sliding into it).

Out of interest, why is that when you're abroad (I'm thinking Mallorca here) everyone has a Berlingo (you don't see many Roomsters)?

tomtom

• forum hero
#687 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 13, 2020, 04:31:46 pm
A friend has recently been through this process at this price. If you want petrol the choice is limited. If you want diesel there is much more. My ideas - avoiding french/Ford/Vauxhall (that’s just me).

Fabia Estate.
Dacia Logan MCV.
Hyundai i30 / Kia CEED
Also Prius in that money...
Lots of Golfs in that range...

Paul B

• forum hero
#688 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 13, 2020, 04:35:54 pm
Fabia Estate.

The newer shape is a retrograde step in usable space.

tomtom

• forum hero
#689 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 13, 2020, 04:40:41 pm
Fabia Estate.

The newer shape is a retrograde step in usable space.

Really? We had one as a hire car last year an I though it was great. Loads of boot space for the size... same length as my Volvo and nearly twice the boot size it felt. Swallowed family of three stuff all on the boot.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#690 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 13, 2020, 04:58:06 pm
Going with Duncans remit; I think Octavias are quite a bit larger than the Roomster, longer and wider anyway.

Fabia estate is a weird one, fucking ugly rear overhang but clearly a practical little car.

Caveat being I have no knowledge of this market place but having seen the Roomster a few times thought it looked neat. And they're relatively rare which is appealing to me.

Paul B

• forum hero
#691 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 13, 2020, 05:04:03 pm
Really? We had one as a hire car last year an I though it was great. Loads of boot space for the size... same length as my Volvo and nearly twice the boot size it felt. Swallowed family of three stuff all on the boot.

I went to look at one as firm favorite and walked away pretty unimpressed (I didn't have much love for the vRS gearbox either). The cabin felt cramped compared to the older style (all of this of course is just my opinion).

Going with Duncans remit; I think Octavias are quite a bit larger than the Roomster, longer and wider anyway.

Fair enough. Living on a terrace I repeatedly have to drive past spaces where other cars would fit and I take Nat's mini when I can as at work I park in a multi-storey where in certain bays I can't actually open the door if there's anything next to me.

tomtom

• forum hero
#692 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 13, 2020, 05:10:06 pm
@paul. Yeah - I’ve v little experience of the mk1 fabia.

And I’d expect going from an octavia to that you’d be disappointed. It was narrow inside - but I am tall so figured it was that.

Simon W

• menacing presence
#693 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 13, 2020, 06:35:24 pm
I’ve got a Logan, it’s boring and spartan and has a massive boot but not that long for an estate. My Snap Wrap slides in sideways all the way to the back flat, could fit another on top with loads of room for other gear. Would recommend the 0.9 Tce as the alternative Sce 75 is painfully slow and less economical.

Paul B

• forum hero
#694 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 13, 2020, 07:07:52 pm
And I’d expect going from an octavia to that you’d be disappointed. It was narrow inside - but I am tall so figured it was that.

It was before the Octavia (or perhaps at the time of looking I can't remember).

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#695 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 15, 2020, 12:37:28 pm
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

A friend has recently been through this process at this price. If you want petrol the choice is limited. If you want diesel there is much more. My ideas - avoiding french/Ford/Vauxhall (that’s just me).

Fabia Estate.
Dacia Logan MCV.
Hyundai i30 / Kia CEED
Also Prius in that money...
Lots of Golfs in that range...

Can't be Diesel unfortunately as any journey will attract a £20 ULEZ charge. Sadly Korean cars will be vetoed as unpatriotic (and, bizarrely, Japanese as too boring). Logan is an interesting off-piste suggestion but isn't it basically a Renault which is French and so...

boring, spartan

If you're talking about the car that's painted in a shade that Leo Fender would have described as "Sea Foam Green" I'm not sure these are the right adjectives.  8)

It was very distinctive colour, no difficulty finding it in the airport car park! That and being a private sale in Dumfries were the reasons it was so cheap I think. I've accepted that it was a once-in-a-lifetime deal and moved on.

Roomster is a decent call. Or a Caddy life?  (these seem rare and attract a VW premium). Parking can be tight and an Octavia estate is huge so probably not on.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#696 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
June 10, 2020, 03:12:22 pm
I'm in the market for a new estate options at the moment are c class, 320d or another octavia vrs which I'd readily have again. Any other ideas?

tomtom

• forum hero
#697 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
June 10, 2020, 04:06:47 pm
Budget?

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#698 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
June 10, 2020, 04:43:09 pm
I reckon I'd spend up to 14 grand or so.

tomtom

• forum hero
#699 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
June 10, 2020, 06:29:30 pm
Not much choice other than the options you outlined.

You can get a High Milage C class PHEV estate - which was different.

Or Subaru Outback? (Only 8 nationwide on Autotrader)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal