UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !! (Read 283581 times)

T_B

• forum hero
#400 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 12, 2017, 09:23:54 am
Is it on his website?

Maybe this one

http://www.es-on-ice.co.uk/article/show/2

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#401 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 12, 2017, 09:24:17 am
As an aside, Es Tressider (ex-Cullin Ridge record holder, runner, climber, GB ski mountaineer) wrote something about living in the highlands having an electric car as your only car. I'll see if I can find it.

I've also read this  and was trying to find it earlier... was an interesting read.. IIRC it was all fine apart from a round trip to Manchester airport in shitty weather when their range crapped out badly...

https://twitter.com/EsTresidder/status/793227965626736640

tomtom

• forum hero
#402 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 12, 2017, 10:11:47 am
Is it on his website?

Maybe this one

http://www.es-on-ice.co.uk/article/show/2

nope.. fraind not, was like a car review in many ways...

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#403 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 12, 2017, 10:19:55 am
Hybrid for me with the next motor. Diesel is a burning platform (literally and metaphorically) - and the NO2 emissions are sonething I'm not cool comfortable with as an owner. Latest Korean offerings wedding electric with 6-7 speed auto's rather than toyota's cvt look promising.

Full electric is a way off (infrastructure more than car tech) and would only become viable for me when it reliably cracks 200-250 miles (as in that distance when its cold, wet and with a headwind!!). But I love the idea of electric cars. Anyway - driverless will be here in a big way in ten years time.

So, what you're trying to say is: yep, I'm on the waiting list for a Telsa model 3?   :P

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#404 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 12, 2017, 10:24:47 am
Es-on-cars, it's food for thought.

A Norwegian academic colleague runs a Leaf and it's a very nice car. A no-brainer for his 30 mile commute from Hell (...the place, the drive along Trondheimsfjorden is glorious!). Electric-only cars wouldn't currently work for us because of the street charging issues and requirement to do 300+ miles (Portland) in a short day. Or would they?

We're currently running an old diesel that has about the same fuel economy as a hybrid. It only gets used on long runs, never in the city, so currently taking the chris j stance that replacing a functioning vehicle is, overall, less green. The retired Super Alpinist's Prius seems a well-sorted car though and I'd definitely consider one when the Skoda dies. 

tomtom

• forum hero
#405 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 12, 2017, 10:26:30 am
Es-on-cars, it's food for thought. 

Thats the one!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#406 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 12, 2017, 10:27:07 am
As an aside, Es Tressider (ex-Cullin Ridge record holder, runner, climber, GB ski mountaineer) wrote something about living in the highlands having an electric car as your only car. I'll see if I can find it.

I've also read this  and was trying to find it earlier... was an interesting read.. IIRC it was all fine apart from a round trip to Manchester airport in shitty weather when their range crapped out badly...

https://twitter.com/EsTresidder/status/793227965626736640

Quote from: Following the links
Quick write up of 4 months of life with an electric car in the Scottish highlands:
The second was driving to Derbyshire (400 miles from here) to see family in stormy weather with gale-force southerly winds.
I thought having an electric car would be one of those things, like rarely flying and heating my house at 19 degrees, that I do because I’m concerned about climate change, but that I’d rather not do. On the contrary I’d say for our lifestyle it’s a nicer, more convenient car to have. The experience so far has been really positive and it gives me hope that electric cars can very rapidly take over from ICE cars in the years to come, especially as cars with double the range of ours for a similar price are on the horizon in the next 2 or 3 years.
;)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#407 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 12, 2017, 10:03:26 pm
Full electric is a way off (infrastructure more than car tech) and would only become viable for me when it reliably cracks 200-250 miles (as in that distance when its cold, wet and with a headwind!!). But I love the idea of electric cars. Anyway - driverless will be here in a big way in ten years time.

Electric-only cars wouldn't currently work for us because of the street charging issues and requirement to do 300+ miles (Portland) in a short day. Or would they?

Thinking about this some more. It’s good to take a break every 100-120 miles, I’d be fine with a car with this range after a 25-30 minute recharge.

Typical climbing trip to Portland: 100 miles from London gets you to Ringwood, recharge car (~80% in 30 minutes) and driver, on to Portland, climb, back to Ringwood (another 100 miles), recharge, and return to London.

A car with a 120 mile range (e.g. a Leaf) could work, just, if everything was in your favour. At present, our nearest street charging is 1km away. You’d need to be very organised to always set off with a full charge. Realistically, the round trip would frequently involve three or four stops. That's a significant barrier for me.

A car with a 180 mile range in non-ideal conditions (at a non-Tesla price) is my tipping point. You could then start 70% charged, say you’d been unable to top-up a day or two before, and still do 100 miles with a bit to spare. Or do the whole trip with one stop in Weymouth. Logistics of other long journeys are similar: drive two hours, half an hour break, rinse and repeat.

It sounds like we could see this in ~5 years.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#408 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 12, 2017, 10:01:25 pm
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:15:31 pm by duncan »

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#409 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 13, 2017, 05:47:47 pm
In an attempt to be as prophetic as possible I'm going to lay it on the line here. I reckon in 10-15 years we're all going to wonder why.t.f. we didn't push for electric sooner (not why we, as consumers didn't switch - Duncan's "tipping point" is exactly why) but I mean more pushing for the technology. Elon Musk really has to take a lot of the credit in my opinion.

Practically no servicing required, (oil changes, timing belts etc.) quieter, cleaner, much cheaper to run. Can de-mist your windows form the comfort of you breakfast table via your phone.

I can't wait!  Shame the only camper currently available has about 80 mile range:  http://www.hillsideleisure.co.uk/blog/electric-campervan/

dave

#410 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 13, 2017, 06:07:32 pm
In an attempt to be as prophetic as possible I'm going to lay it on the line here. I reckon in 10-15 years we're all going to wonder why.t.f. we didn't push for electric sooner

Yep, it'll be like when the ban on smoking in pubs came in.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#411 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 13, 2017, 06:32:23 pm
Over the medium/long term I think hydrogen will win out over leccy...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#412 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 13, 2017, 08:07:25 pm
Yep, it'll be like when the ban on smoking in pubs came in.

We're going to sit around wishing they weren't so unhealthy cos they sure covered the farty smell?

Duma

• forum hero
#413 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 13, 2017, 08:46:06 pm
Out of interest, why? (assuming you mean fuel cells, it's just a different battery, they're all electric motors) Hydrogen is just a storage tech really (splitting water to get the hydrogen is going to use electricity I guess?)

chris j

• forum abuser
#414 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 13, 2017, 09:44:37 pm

I don't think anyone will pay to develop the infrastructure for widespread public hydrogen use. Bus companies and the like where they fill up from only one central location will probably continue to develop it but I think it will remain niche.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#415 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 13, 2017, 10:27:04 pm
Out of interest, why?
Faster "charging", longer range. But in reality it probably never will as there's only 8 public filling stations so far in the UK so way behind EVs. I thought it had had more adoption but no  :blink:

James Malloch

• forum hero
#416 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 17, 2017, 10:48:57 am
Quick question regarding selling my van.

It's a 07 Peugeot Partner (120k miles) with a mini camper conversion (lights and bed) but it's a basic one. It starts first time and runs fine but I've had a few problems with it.

First, the oil light comes on occasionally on a longer drive and the engine sound changes. I've fairly certain (from asking various garages and getting it looked at) that it probably needs a bloody good service. Clean the oil sump out, replace filters etc. As it only happens occasionally the general consensus is that it probably has some crap in the sump/oil that loosens on a longer drive and a bit of it is circulated, hence causing the oil pressure warning. It stops once the engine is turned off and left for 5 mins but would come back faster than if you left it for a day or two (I've had it happen and then be okay for the next 1000 or so miles).

Secondly, something locked up once and forced me into an emergency stop. It was looked at a lot by the recovery team and a local garage and there were no issues with the breaks and they were fairly certain it wasn't them. The only thing they could think of is that I somehow knocked the clutch (or it slipped) and it locked up. This was pretty scary but only happened once and has been driven a fair bit since without issue.

So the question...

It's MOT is due in 3 weeks and I want to sell it as I'm getting a new vehicle soon. I personally think it will do okay and require minimal repair (if any) given it has been seen by my (old) local garage a lot in the last year and had a fair bit of work done. However having not really used it in the last 6 months, mainly due to the potential oil issue and having access to another car, I don't want to spend any money on repairs etc.

Thus, is it better for me to try and sell it now with the above caveats?

Or stick it in for an MOT at Halfords this week (£30) and then risk having to sell it as an MOT fail if any repairs are needed that I don't want to foot the bill for?

Any thoughts/experience would be appreciated. I know it's not going to go for much but it would be good to maximise it's value.

Other than that - if anyone wants a cheap van with known issues then let me know...

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#417 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 17, 2017, 11:03:06 am
Whatever you do,  don't put it into a Halfords MOT - those are designed purely to give you "advisories" that you then have to fix at halfords...  I've had advisories one year,  which miraculously fixed themselves the next year...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#418 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 17, 2017, 11:20:28 am
There are two centres in Sheffield that do the Councils MOTs that Bonjoy put people onto in the Campervan thread if I remember correctly (too busy to go digging for his post now).  They don't do any repairs so have no incentive to find advisories or things that need repairing.

One is DOT MOT on Olive Grove Road.  Last MOT there on my campervan and like Fultonious advisories from the previous MOT had cleared up on their own.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#419 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 17, 2017, 11:33:36 am
I might avoid Halfords then - thanks!

I'm living in Leeds now but there's a council one here too which might be able to fit it in at some point. I used it for an old car years ago and I'd forgotten about it so great recommendation. I'll give them a call later to see if it would be an option before it's due.

I used DOT a few years ago whilst at uni in Sheffield - it does do repairs now as it ended up costing me about £500 after getting break pipes etc replaced through them. Nice bunch of guys but the name is a little misleading now I think.

Paul B

• forum hero
#420 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 17, 2017, 12:05:17 pm
I think that's a 'fairly recent' change. Bubba always used to recommend them too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#421 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 19, 2017, 09:41:14 am
Changes to taxes I was unaware of. Sounds like a stitch up for hybrids.

http://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/ved-car-tax-changes-in-2017-what-do-i-need-to-know/

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#422 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 19, 2017, 09:49:36 am
Well that's fucking retarded. Nice one George.

tomtom

• forum hero
#423 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 19, 2017, 09:55:00 am
Before everyone goes crazy - its for cars registered from 2017 onwards.... nothing to see here unless you are buying a new car...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#424 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 19, 2017, 10:02:39 am
Well the thread has been discussing the transition to renewables. Which clearly the current government have very little interest in promoting.   :wall:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal