UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !! (Read 281633 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#925 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
October 28, 2021, 09:02:11 pm
Sauteed or casseroled?

Paul B

• forum hero
#926 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
October 28, 2021, 09:53:45 pm
Don't really care as long as you're paying.

Is it sensible to replace the free road tax mini that's been infallible for a Fiat 595 Compezione? Again, asking for a friend  :worms:

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#927 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
October 28, 2021, 11:02:20 pm
If you aren't being sensible anyway way not go the whole hog and get a Fiat 695 Biposto...

nik at work

• forum hero
#928 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
October 29, 2021, 11:13:40 am
Thanks for the alternate suggestions, both look to have potential  :)

Paul B

• forum hero
#929 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
October 29, 2021, 11:14:44 am
If you aren't being sensible anyway way not go the whole hog and get a Fiat 695 Biposto...

There's a bit of a price difference (but that gearbox  :wub:).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#930 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
October 29, 2021, 11:36:07 am
Sauteed or casseroled?

with some Fava beans and a nice Chianti?

Paul B

• forum hero
#931 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 06, 2021, 12:00:39 pm
Does anybody know anything about Ford's issue with keyless entry, particularly regarding the Fiesta ST?

They seem to go missing an awful lot (particularly where I live).

sdm

• forum abuser
#932 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 06, 2021, 01:19:52 pm
Is this the issue where they plug into the OBD port to disable the immobiliser etc and drive away? Or is this a separate issue?

My mate had his Fiesta ST stolen to order this way. They broke in, plugged in to the OBD, and were driving away in under 10 seconds.

On the replacement, he:

1) put in a dummy OBD in the usual place
2) moved the OBD to a hidden, hard to reach, location with a physical lock and
3) added an old school steering wheel lock

It's unlikely to stop the most advanced and determined thieves but he hopes it will at least delay them long enough for the alarm to attract some attention.

Paul B

• forum hero
#933 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 06, 2021, 01:41:36 pm
I don't know but neither issue seem that good where we live which is pretty rural/remote. The power was out over last weekend and as soon as it went dark we had some unscrupulous people in pickup trucks down the lane "looking for some off-roading". :tumble:

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#934 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 06, 2021, 02:19:15 pm
 That's shite.

Our own van woes (still got the old T4 transporter) . Just replaced the ECU with a refurb due to a sensor fault in the old one (atmospheric pressure sensor), meaning we were getting no boost.

Put new one it, but it didn't start first time. Power clicked off when I tried to crank.

Dash lights etc. all came on, but when I turned it just clicked and all the power went off. Checked the battery and it seemed OK, but we were only getting 2v elsewhere. Assumed bad battery connection, remade that and it started OK. Went for a test drive, turbo boost a bit improved so one thing fixed!

Drive for 20 mins, all seemed OK except a faint whiff of hot/melting.. Came back to the van 3 hours later. (after cinema...) and the same thing happened, except this time battery was down to 11.5v. Tried connecting up our leisure battery via jump leads but no luck.

Breakdown guy tried his booster pack, which got it to crank a little but but it was super sluggish and wouldn't start. Ultimately, it drained his booster in about 5 crank attempts so I reckon we've got a short or a bad earth and there's some massive resistance somewhere. In the garage now (who were a bit reluctant given the ECU swap, but talked him round).

Finger crossed it's something simple.

Paul B

• forum hero
#935 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 06, 2021, 02:22:47 pm
That's shite.

I think I can say ditto! Elecrtical gremlins are such a pain.

Looks like the Fiesta is a non-starter so I'm back to the silly Italian option (having quit my current job and signed a 100% WFH contract today there's no time like the present).

I test drove a 595 Comp. the other evening in the rain/cold/dark and it felt like an utter animal (I lit up the traction control a fair amount on a short test drive); I've got a soft spot for silly small Italian cars after owning a few Punto HGTs quite some time ago now.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#936 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 06, 2021, 02:52:54 pm
It isn't Italian however have you considered a Vauxhall Adam S? Similar size to the Abarth, probably similar real world performance. A bit more rare and looks to have a nicer interior (especially if you can get the leather recaro seats...)

Paul B

• forum hero
#937 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 06, 2021, 03:07:11 pm
It isn't Italian however have you considered a Vauxhall Adam S? Similar size to the Abarth, probably similar real world performance. A bit more rare and looks to have a nicer interior (especially if you can get the leather recaro seats...)

No, I haven't but this isn't solely my decision (and it's taking an absolute age). When I switched the Octavia 18M or so ago for the A6 Allroad we test drove an ST at the same garage and I'd have gone home with it then and there but I was told it was loud, uncomfortable and ultimately childish (pop pop bang etc.); the 595 seems to be surviving that (somehow, possibly because the one we're looking at is relatively 'pretty').

It's hard to tell after a significant gap in time between test drives but the 595 chassis didn't seem anywhere near as good as the ST (again it was v. wet on Saturday which wasn't ideal). This seems to be reflected in reviews such as Evo mag.

(PS - if anyone is in the market for a 12 plate Mini Cooper D then let me know; London 12 special edition with 85k miles. I'm happy to be pretty open about the pros and cons of the car).

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#938 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 06, 2021, 03:45:27 pm
.....This seems to be reflected in reviews such as Evo mag.

"...not my views Lynne - the views of Top Gear magazine..."!

nik at work

• forum hero
#939 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 06, 2021, 07:35:52 pm
Glad this thread has resurfaced. Wanted to say thanks to Paul for his Suzuki Swit 4x4. Got a low mileage one and it’s exactly what I was after.
Nice one 👍

Paul B

• forum hero
#940 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 07, 2021, 10:19:01 am
Glad this thread has resurfaced. Wanted to say thanks to Paul for his Suzuki Swit 4x4. Got a low mileage one and it’s exactly what I was after.
Nice one 👍

I'm a bit envious TBH they're great little things.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#941 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 07, 2021, 10:33:20 am
[having quit my current job and signed a 100% WFH contract today there's no time like the present).

YYFY surely? I'm, about to do the same (well 60% WFH, but that might slip to 100% given the current situation).

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#942 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 07, 2021, 03:58:39 pm
 Just about on topic...

Had my van serviced today and the mechanic asked me what my plan for it was when the clean air scheme came into force in Manchester. I had only heard about it once before in passing but just googled it. I reckon as a private van owner (Peugeot Partner, 2004, diesel) I've got until JUN 2023 before I have to pay a tenner a day to drive it.  :o any dissenting views on this?

I will probably try to sell it before then if that's the case but in any case it needs to pass another Mot before it even becomes an issue!

https://cleanairgm.com/

SA Chris

• forum hero
#943 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 07, 2021, 04:15:33 pm
Move? ;)

Can you get a grant to replace?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#944 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 07, 2021, 04:46:32 pm
Just about on topic...

Had my van serviced today and the mechanic asked me what my plan for it was when the clean air scheme came into force in Manchester. I had only heard about it once before in passing but just googled it. I reckon as a private van owner (Peugeot Partner, 2004, diesel) I've got until JUN 2023 before I have to pay a tenner a day to drive it.  :o any dissenting views on this?

I will probably try to sell it before then if that's the case but in any case it needs to pass another Mot before it even becomes an issue!

Same issue in Glasgow; however, fairly geographically limited (city centre only) so won't really affect us as we have no need to ever go there. If they widen it though......

I'm busy trying to work out the sums for getting a new Toyota Pro-Ace Electric, converting it as a camper, renting it out most of the year and using it ourselves in between. Will probably make a lot more sense in 2-3 years....

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#945 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 07, 2021, 04:55:17 pm
Just about on topic...

Looks like your date is Jun 23. Just saw a few road signs advertising this zone for the first time yesterday.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#946 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 07, 2021, 05:08:34 pm
Just about on topic...

I don't really go to the wall in my camper so won't make too much difference to me but currently says temporary exemption on it for some reason. Yet my 3L Audi doesn't have a charge at all.  :-\

SamT

• forum hero
#947 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 07, 2021, 05:16:14 pm
Same thing happening in Sheffield back end of 2022.

I kind of agree with it in principal, but at the end of the day, Sheffield CC couldn't organise a piss up at the Abbeydale brewery and thus it will be a total clusterfuck.  By including the ring road in the zone, it will force a shit ton of traffic into the suburbs (where the vast majority of residents and schools are) as they find rat runs to avoid the charge.  I foresee carnage.

Meanwhile, the minging black taxis, with their 50 year old, held together by bailing twine exhausts will presumably still be aloud to queue up at the train station by the dozen, idling their engines and belching black soot all the way up the ring road as they depart.

:furious:

Paul B

• forum hero
#948 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 07, 2021, 05:32:03 pm
I don't really go to the wall in my camper so won't make too much difference to me but currently says temporary exemption on it for some reason. Yet my 3L Audi doesn't have a charge at all.  :-\

"Private cars, mopeds and motorbikes are NOT Included in the Zone."

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#949 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
December 07, 2021, 05:37:36 pm

"Private cars, mopeds and motorbikes are NOT Included in the Zone."

Yeah i gathered that but seems daft i have to now pick the car that is the biggest polluter to drive into town in to avoid paying charges on the other.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal