UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !! (Read 277882 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 19, 2013, 08:11:15 pm
Fucking run flat tyres

After epic recovery trauma from Malham 10 days ago ordered a replacement for one of the other tyres which had low tread. It was due to be fitted on Thursday but it chose to go down today on the M42 near Solihull today. Didnt feel stable enough to run on so got recovery out who ran me to the local BMW dealership where tyre cost £318 instead of £270. Cancelled meetings in Swansea (room cost £100 forfeited) and went home (£30? in diesel). Absolute waste of time, money and energy. Should have stayed in bed.  >:( 

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#1 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 19, 2013, 08:22:32 pm
Fucking run flat tyres
Solihull
I feel your pain. Neither are conducive to a good day. My new car has normal tyres with a spare the same size and I'm made up. Run flats and low profile tyres are a step back in motoring evolution.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 19, 2013, 10:22:07 pm
My new car has normal tyres with a spare the same size and I'm made up. Run flats and low profile tyres are a step back in motoring evolution.

:agree:

And I can't change to normal tyres because there's no space for a spare

andy_e

• forum hero
#3 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 19, 2013, 10:55:42 pm
Got shot of the 1 series Andy? Or are you Berlingoed?

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 01:07:39 am
I feel your pain. Neither are conducive to a good day. My new car has normal tyres with a spare the same size and I'm made up. Run flats and low profile tyres are a step back in motoring evolution.

I went through two low profiles in a week last year. One coming back from Malham where a stray block of limestone claimed the rear sidewall and the second which I punctured between Malham and Kilnsey in a frustrated bid to switch from the seepage infested cove to an unlikely drier kilnsey with limited light available, at speed!

I've never changed a tyre so quickly and ended up with one of the most unlikely RPs ever after declaring in frustration that the route was shit, British weather was shit and I was stripping the thing for the last time.

I was still pissed off on the way home..

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#5 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 07:23:37 am
I was still pissed off on the way home..

LOL, brilliant.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 09:17:40 am
My new car has normal tyres with a spare the same size and I'm made up. Run flats and low profile tyres are a step back in motoring evolution.

:agree:

And I can't change to normal tyres because there's no space for a spare

Thats daft. They replace the spare with a tin of puncture repair goo and a good luck charm*
Can you get a space saver for it? is there a semi dint where it would go? (space savers better than run flats imho..)

*probably far more effective than the aerosol of repair goo

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 09:32:51 am
Fucking run flat tyres

After epic recovery trauma from Malham 10 days ago ordered a replacement for one of the other tyres which had low tread. It was due to be fitted on Thursday but it chose to go down today on the M42 near Solihull today. Didnt feel stable enough to run on so got recovery out who ran me to the local BMW dealership where tyre cost £318 instead of £270. Cancelled meetings in Swansea (room cost £100 forfeited) and went home (£30? in diesel). Absolute waste of time, money and energy. Should have stayed in bed.  >:(

Still, not going to Swansea; worth it IMO :)

andyd

• forum hero
#8 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 09:56:07 am
Got shot of the 1 series Andy? Or are you Berlingoed?
I'm rid of the ever failing laguna with shitty low profile tyres that destroy the suspension, which in turn, tears strips off the wall of the tyre in some kind of tit-for tat-battle of the wheel arch.
I now have a beautiful, tight handling, chick magnet, pimping big booted Berlingo

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 10:03:32 am
(probably the wrong thread for this) but tyres were one of the reasons I moved from the 320d to a diesel golf. Even with mainly motorway miles, I was getting 20-25K out of four boots on the BMW - and at £150+ a pop thats a fair chunk.. Fronts on the golf look like they'll need replacing at 40+K (presently 35) and the rears look like they've never been touched (they're c.£75 a go).

Brother in law bought a MiniCooper D, and asked for lower spec wheels and alloys, as while the chunkier rubber was less street cred, he said it was quieter, better ride and the rubber sticks out over the edge of the alloy - instead of the other (expensive) way around..

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#10 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 10:25:15 am
I've only done <14k (in a year and 8 months) and I've had 4 new front tyres. All punctures, 3 in the first couple of months and one the other week.  :furious:

andy_e

• forum hero
#11 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 10:31:07 am
Perhaps there should be a new thread called CARS, CARS, FUCKING CARS!!!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 10:40:50 am
All punctures, 3 in the first couple of months and one the other week.

All from going over things in the road? That sucks.

andy_e

• forum hero
#13 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 10:41:21 am
And lo, there was a new thread...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#14 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 10:44:31 am
All punctures, 3 in the first couple of months and one the other week.

All from going over things in the road? That sucks.

Yep and none were repairable. Proper bad luck scene.

Dr T

• forum hero
#15 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 11:06:43 am
New gear box today
on a 2 year old Mereva...
Thank fuck for the warranty

and it has the most bizarre electrics ever

better than the Picasso I swapped for it though - the computer in that crapped out...
the only symptom was a radio that went on and off of it's own accord (so I unplugged it) and drove back home from Font
Took it into the shop and they wouldn't let me have it back because "the fuel management system was unsafe"
lucky it didn't fully crap out on the Paris ring road

I hate cars

andy_e

• forum hero
#16 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 11:28:51 am
Proper bad luck scene.

You been hanging out with Paul B?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#17 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 11:44:44 am
Proper bad luck scene.

You been hanging out with Paul B?

Steady on, it's only a few tyres!

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#18 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 11:57:21 am

Thats daft. They replace the spare with a tin of puncture repair goo and a good luck charm*
Can you get a space saver for it? is there a semi dint where it would go? (space savers better than run flats imho..)

That's what I have in the Mini.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#19 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 12:03:44 pm
Fucking run flat tyres

I'm confused, are you saying that run flat just don't work at all? What happened to the space where the spare would normally go, do all 5 series need to be fitted with run flats?

chris j

• forum abuser
#20 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 04:56:21 pm

That's what I have in the Mini.

There's only just space to carry a can of goo in my Lotus...

Which 3 weeks ago, when I took it in for its service and MOT (1st with me so I was interested to see what it would cost), decided to split its radiator while on the ramp and spit coolant over the mechanic stood underneath! Not an auspicious start - living up to the stereotype. New radiator only arrived yesterday, hopefully I get the car back tomorrow so apologies for all the rain due next week...

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#21 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 05:11:33 pm
Fucking run flat tyres

I'm confused, are you saying that run flat just don't work at all? What happened to the space where the spare would normally go, do all 5 series need to be fitted with run flats?

The limit is 50mph which not only upset other users on the M42 but also felt really wobbly so I pulled up in an emergency layby off the hardshoulder.

The space for a spare has been designed out so you would have to strap a spare down in the boot taking up a lot of the space. You can get a a smaller spare wheel kit but Im assumiong the speed restrictions are the same.

Furthermore they are not a standard tyre where you can rock up at kwikfit and get one. They take a couple of days to get through an independent. Even the BMW dealership (Sytner Solihull) needed a few hours to get hold of one.

Another issue is that you cant see that they are flat immediately because the side walls are so solid and so unless you have an automatic or handheld tyre pressure sensor you might not be able to work out what is wrong. Even then the handheld gave a reading of zero degrees but the incar one said 18PSI according to the breakdow guy. He said the discrepancy was something to do with the way what pressure remains is retained. That may be bullshit though.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#22 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 05:51:50 pm
Jim is going to be posting in this thread very soon!

andyd

• forum hero
#23 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 05:56:14 pm
And they rely on the sensor which, in a BMW, isn't always correct.
And you can only drive a certain, limited, distance. Driving to Devon from Leeds in the evening (which we regularly do avec sprog) has a stretch from Derby to Somerset where a puncture means getting a lift on a tow truck.
And we (her indoors) paid a shit load for a BMW so we had a better car...BMW=overrated/bag of shite.

andyd

• forum hero
#24 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
March 20, 2013, 05:57:28 pm
Can we have a BMW, BMW, fucking BMW thread? I've got a whole lot more to get off my chest... :furious:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal