UKBouldering.com

Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !! (Read 278000 times)

SamT

• forum hero
#975 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 06, 2022, 08:43:39 am
does the new one have the eco-boost engine?

Hmm - good question - I don't think mine does..

Its the Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi ECOnetic Titanium 5dr (150bhp)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#976 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 06, 2022, 10:55:54 am
I think that's an Ecoboost, but still a decent size. I'd heard the Focus with the 1l EcoBoost was a bit gutless. We still have the 2l dirty diesel for now, but may change if we actually have to start using it daily.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#977 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 06, 2022, 11:03:18 am
One thing I forgot to mention was - as I know a couple of climbers who have them, what about the Skoda Roomster?

Look like a Popemobile, not the coolest thing out there, but might fit the bill as a pad transporter?!

Steve R

• forum abuser
#978 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 06, 2022, 12:12:33 pm
I'm not overly concerned by high mileage or age, with the exception that the creature comforts of newer cars are nice. Good seats with adjustable lumbar support etc are also something I really like in my Mazda, and this is rarely seen in lower spec cars, otherwise i'd be happy getting a banger!

Sounds like you want to get a Mazda 6 estate  ;D
I think seats are worth consideration, perhaps especially for climbers who often do a lot of miles and ideally want to avoid exiting the vehicle feeling like a 70yr old having driven 1hr+ to a crag...  I noticed the downgraded seat going from a decent spec old banger passat estate to standard spec octavia estate.  The passat had lumbar support adjust, comfy arm rest (and heated, ahh heaven!) and just felt generally better/comfier.
One potential work around is swapping seats from a compatible higher spec vehicle (ebay or scrap yard sourced) into your basic spec banger.  Could be as simple as four bolts....

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#979 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
January 06, 2022, 12:37:13 pm
Incredibly unexciting in almost all respects, but i40 CRDi came with adjustable lumbar support, heated seats and steering wheel. I guess the usual story that you get more gadgets as standard from the Asian companies than you do from VAG etc.

T3 the Roomster does seem to be an excellent option if you’re not worried about your street cred and I think they ran until 2015 so should be some good second hand examples about still.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#980 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 17, 2022, 10:14:14 am
Also asked on the other channel..

I was driving last night and the car felt sluggish, slowing down a lot when in neutral etc. I suspected a flat tyre but when I pulled over they were fine, but there was a burning smell and loads of heat coming off the front passenger side break.

I decided against the rest of the drive and headed home. I did a few emergency stop type breaks and didn’t seem to have any problems for the 20 minutes back home.

MOT and service was done 3 weeks ago and didn’t show anything up for the front breaks (only minor pitting on the rear).

I was planning on a 3hr drive tonight in it (though have a campervan I can take instead if needed). Not sure what the problem is (garage said maybe a sticking calliper?) but my local garage is going to try and squeeze me in at the end of the day.

If they can’t fit it in, am I right in thinking it’s probably best to just take the camper instead? Or is it likely to be nothing too serious?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#981 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 17, 2022, 10:18:42 am
I'd not drive a distance if there was an issue like that and you had an alternative, not worth the risk. You can end up with warped discs or worse if heat gets excessive.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#982 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 17, 2022, 10:22:13 am
I'd not drive a distance if there was an issue like that and you had an alternative, not worth the risk. You can end up with warped discs or worse if heat gets excessive.

Cheers - camper is probably the best option if I can’t get it fixed today then (or assessed at least).

Just makes logistics trickier. Happy to leave my crappy car at the train station car park for the weekend. Less keen to leave the van 6 weeks before we go off on a long trip…

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#983 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 17, 2022, 10:27:58 am
Couldn't you just drive the van to wherever you're going and pay to park it nearby?

James Malloch

• forum hero
#984 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 17, 2022, 10:39:13 am
Couldn't you just drive the van to wherever you're going and pay to park it nearby?

I’m off to fairly central London so planned to drive most of the way, stay with a friend tonight near Huntingdon, and then get the train in for the last leg of the journey. He’s also too far from a station to leave the van at his. So the car (or van) makes the last bit more faffy in this case. Also means 6 hours of driving rather than 10 overall.

remus

• forum hero
#985 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 17, 2022, 11:22:13 am
Sounds similar symptoms to when my car had a sticky caliper. I drove it to font and (just about) back with it making some pretty awful noises towards the end (unsurprisingly given there was no brake pad left!) New discs and calipers required after that.

I'd take the van, less hassle and cost than having to replace the disc + caliper.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#986 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 17, 2022, 11:35:07 am

I’m off to fairly central London so planned to drive most of the way, stay with a friend tonight near Huntingdon, and then get the train in for the last leg of the journey. He’s also too far from a station to leave the van at his. So the car (or van) makes the last bit more faffy in this case. Also means 6 hours of driving rather than 10 overall.

Presumed it would be a London issue. For peace of mind you could always get a taxi from your mates to the station I guess? Driving into central London definitely to be avoided!

Paul B

• forum hero
#987 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 17, 2022, 02:39:47 pm
What's the vehicle? I had a handbrake shoe fail (I kinda knew it had happened as pulling away from the airport parking took some 'effort' and made a noise you don't want to hear) with similar symptoms.

Bangernomics was such fun.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#988 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 17, 2022, 03:37:57 pm
Had this once in the T4, and friend's also in their Transit camper. Quite likely to be internal breakdown of the flexible brake hoses, or as Remus says - sticky caliper.

It's a cheap and quick fix to do the hoses and re-bleed, and you're no worse off after. If it's still bad it's the caliper, which can be re-built if you have time and tools, but most likely just needs replaced.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#989 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 17, 2022, 04:17:54 pm
Caliper replacement was a bit pricey when I needed it, so worth avoiding! Definitely sounds like the right symptoms. An easy test is after driving for a bit, one of the discs should be bloody hot - flick a bit of water on it to test. Not that this helps with tonight's dilemma.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#990 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 17, 2022, 04:35:55 pm
It’s a berlingo.

Garage is checking it over - going to replace the pads as they were due soon anyway and checking the callipers properly tomorrow. Van it is tonight. Nicer to drive anyway, just much less fuel efficient!

James Malloch

• forum hero
#991 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 18, 2022, 10:52:16 am
Final outcome seems to be that the pins were sticking (rather than the caliper itself). So no fix required there.

Didn’t really trust them hugely (Qwik Fit) on some other things but getting it done anyway - they recommend new pad and new rear discs. Price was okay so might as well sort them whilst it’s in the garage.

Reason for some distrust was firstly, they just called about the read pads and hadn’t even looked at what it was in for (I had to remind them at this point) and secondly, it’s just had a service and MOT at it’s usual garage and nothing was mentioned at all.

But I’m sure they will have needed sorting sooner rather than later so just going ahead with it anyway. Thanks for the advice on here!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#992 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 18, 2022, 11:23:42 am
Trust Kwik Fit as far as I can throw them. Had them trying to change out discs when there was no need either. When queried they said it was "corroded". No shit.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#993 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 18, 2022, 01:15:29 pm
Final outcome seems to be that the pins were sticking (rather than the caliper itself). So no fix required there.

Didn’t really trust them hugely (Qwik Fit) on some other things but getting it done anyway - they recommend new pad and new rear discs. Price was okay so might as well sort them whilst it’s in the garage.

Reason for some distrust was firstly, they just called about the read pads and hadn’t even looked at what it was in for (I had to remind them at this point) and secondly, it’s just had a service and MOT at it’s usual garage and nothing was mentioned at all.

But I’m sure they will have needed sorting sooner rather than later so just going ahead with it anyway. Thanks for the advice on here!

Every car that goes into quick fit* gets recommended new discs and pads - they've been running that scam for 15+ years. An ex of mine took her MR2 in for the handbrake to get tightened and they refused to work on it without her shelling out £350 for new discs and pads all round. She got another 15k miles out of them....

Also known as "Quick Thief", "Quick Cunts" and other similar monikers.

SamT

• forum hero
#994 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 18, 2022, 03:25:32 pm
Got completely stung recently - member of staffs van was having brake issues so needed a there and then fix. Kwikcnuts were the only option in the locality and quite rightly they were not confident of driving the van back home (2 hour drive). I cant quite remember the upshot, but they refused to do the repair without doing discs and pads (I cant let them leave with them like that, more than my jobs worth mate etc etc).  Totally over barrel, pants down.  Cost  a pretty penny.  :furious:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#995 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 18, 2022, 06:02:14 pm
and unless you have a measuring caliper to measure the thickness, it's hard to prove otherwise.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#996 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 18, 2022, 08:32:16 pm
and unless you have a measuring caliper to measure the thickness, it's hard to prove otherwise.

Doesn't matter, they have no legal right to force you to do any work you don't want to.  If it's *actually* dangerous, it's a different story but it never is. They're total thiefs.

Stewart

• menacing presence
#997 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 24, 2022, 09:15:59 pm
Hi folks,  car advice please.  My Nissan X-trail is getting on a bit and newer versions are much smaller. 

I want something that will fit a moon saturn (the x-trail took a saturn,  warrior and alpkit in the boot without folding seats down and still had room for wellies). Got kids seats in the rear so can't be taking them out and folding every time I want to go climbing. 
Oh yeah,  also needs to be able to pull a1600kg caravan.  Volvo and Land-rover are a bit pricey. Current thinking is maybe a nissan navarra. Any recommendations/ suggestions?
Many thanks

SA Chris

• forum hero
#998 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 25, 2022, 08:31:51 am

Doesn't matter, they have no legal right to force you to do any work you don't want to.  If it's *actually* dangerous, it's a different story but it never is. They're total thiefs.

I know, but unless they are in the know, most people will bow to what is perceived as their better knowledge.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#999 Re: Cars, Cars, Fucking CARS !!
February 25, 2022, 08:44:27 am
True, and I guess that's what their business model relies on!

Avoid....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal