UKBouldering.com

is there an ipad alternative? (Read 36497 times)

SamT

• forum hero
#100 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
November 29, 2013, 11:49:47 am

Worth splitting this topic under a new heading (Parental Controls or some such)  ????

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#101 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
November 29, 2013, 12:20:37 pm
Fuck that. Access to one maybe (like lagers is doing) but I see absolutely no need for our nearly 7 year old to have his own tablet / phone or whatever. Not having a go at you btw Sam, just the idea that every kid should have one.

Just get them a Raspberry Pi to mess around with, it'll either put them off computing for life or plant the "geek" seed in their brains.  :P

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#102 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
November 29, 2013, 12:23:14 pm

We just keep going to other kids houses where their kids are playing on their tablets, DS lites, Wii's, PS3's  etc  etc, non of which we have, where we respect the parents and have fallen into the trap of thinking we were being a bit harsh on them.

First part of solving a problem is admitting you have a problem!

tomtom

• forum hero

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#104 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
November 29, 2013, 08:17:32 pm
What's the deal with using vouchers for a Hudl? the double yer money boost thing?

underground

• forum hero
#105 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
November 29, 2013, 09:07:35 pm
What's the deal with using vouchers for a Hudl? the double yer money boost thing?
not in my case, we don't shop at Tessers much but even then they post out a lot of e vouchers that you redeem at the checkout. Saved about £20 I think

SamT

• forum hero
#106 Re: Re: is there an ipad alternative?
November 29, 2013, 09:30:28 pm

Yer .. had a club card for ages and somehow we seem to have racked up a stack of points that haven't been converted to vouchers.

Much as it pains me ethically. .. tescos is just too damn convenient for someone in Nether edge.  The eccy road, bannerdale and abbeydale branches seem to coincide with our daily routines.   Use roneys and sharrow marrow ffor meat and veg as much as possible mind.

60 quid for a tablet of that spec seemed to be a no brainer.

underground

• forum hero
#107 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
November 29, 2013, 10:24:01 pm

Worth splitting this topic under a new heading (Parental Controls or some such)  ????
stupidly I already created a separate post so if the mods see fit maybe they could split into it?

They're not daft them supermarkets, they've got you in an unavoidable position unless you have all day to drive around for miles looking for independent shops. I tried it once or twice, took all day, loads of fuel and was too expensive

SamT

• forum hero
#108 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
November 29, 2013, 10:43:56 pm
Innit.

Dolly

• forum hero
#109 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
November 29, 2013, 11:48:11 pm
Hudl basically free with clubcard points ie you dont spend any real money to get one.
Only clubcard points
Got one for my daughters bday next week

Lets start another thread if need be on the rights/wrongs of tesco

underground

• forum hero
#110 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
November 30, 2013, 12:31:41 am

Lets start another thread if need be on the rights/wrongs of tesco
Let's not, we know the answer!

In response to Jasper earlier - I think a lot of people just assume that their 4/5 year olds need such a device, one person in particular was quite proud of her daughter at age 2 playing (assume fucking about with) 2 games in unison on phone / ipad with both hands. Despair. It's easy to spend £150 on a tablet and think the kids are happily I suppose, instead of engaging with them. Same people who come to work on a Monday moaning that kids played up all weekend. Being dragged around Meadowhall. I'd have massive tantrum if I had to do that too.

Peer pressure is a bit of a shitter up here, G unit often comes home complaining that her mates have ipod touch /tablet / mobile phone (this is because they are left to roam all over and might need to call home / need to text their friends / arrange to meet boys on the 'cuddle spot' FFS) Pierced ears are the other fucking thing. 6 year old lads with massive diamante studs in their tab / 9 year old girls with chav hoops. If the parents have managed to buy the house next door to their parents so the kids can dit in their old classroom, and built an extension, they've made it. Aspirations fulfilled. I had to go straight from the St. Pancras train to a kids birthday party once. First up, raised eyebrows and gossiping, next 'what are you doing dressed like that?' 'I've just got off the train from London, been at work' 'ooh, I shouldn't like to go there' 'have you ever been?' 'nooooo'.... On the weekly occasion I do the school run now, I change out of stained joggers and into my 3 buttoner just to put the fuckers about.

Another one: 'Great weekend, the campsite was empty' 'WHAT??? Weren't you scared? Ooh no sod that'

Anyway. We don't really need this tablet, but for convenience thought it might mean she can do her stuff without commanding her mum's laptop which needs to be used for other stuff at the same time, especially now she won't go to bed at 7.30.
All I really want is for the settings to propagate to youtube like Google claim they will. I was going to send it back and get an ipad mini because I think Android is rubbish, but if this is Google controlled stuff it wouldn't work anyway.

SamT

• forum hero
#111 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
November 30, 2013, 09:02:58 am
Don't think its an issue of android vs ios.... youtube is still youtube on either and the filtering is still rubbish.

I thought I'd 'report' one of the vids the kids had mentioned but non of the options seemed to be appropriate.  To serious eg  they simply need a 'not suitable for kids' button that instantly flags the vid so it doesn't appear in searches or suggested vids when filtering is on. Is that really such a difficult concept to implement.

tomtom

• forum hero
#112 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
November 30, 2013, 06:49:55 pm
Top rant Underground. I think you should have a friday night thread of your own ;)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#113 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
December 17, 2013, 08:10:51 am
 Old version of Android but for £40 delivered might be worth a punt for a kids tab...http://www.ubislate.co.uk/main_product.php

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#114 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
December 17, 2013, 09:50:43 am
got HUDLs (fucking stupid name) for both parents in law for Xmas. I guess my Christmas day will be spend trying to show them how to use it, instead fo playing with my son's Playmobil Pirate Ship.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#115 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
December 17, 2013, 12:29:22 pm
Old version of Android but for £40 delivered might be worth a punt for a kids tab...http://www.ubislate.co.uk/main_product.php

Should in theory be possible to update this to recent versions of Android (not that 4.0.3 is that far behind) thanks to Googles Project Svelte which specifically set out to get newer versions running on low spec devices (kind of the anti-thesis of M$/Apple who introduce "updates" which effectively cripple older devices forcing you into a hardware upgrade cycle).

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#116 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
May 02, 2014, 08:55:09 am
Looking for a 10" tablet. Will be used for surfing, occasionally reading academic papers, photo storage and very basic photo-editing. May also be used for storing and playing music through the big system - a digital out is ideal -  but this may be asking too much. A decent amount of storage or something with a USB port that allows easy access to a big external hard-drive (ie not an ipad?) is important.

Something of ipad quality, and happy to pay for this, but not a fan of apple's softwear. OSX is fine but itunes has mutated into something unusable for my purposes.

Am I wrong to think an ipad is unsuitable? Anything beyond the Nexus 10 I should be considering?

tomtom

• forum hero
#117 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
May 02, 2014, 09:01:32 am
I find the iPad fine for that - and I never use iTunes... its not been on my PC for the last few years...

Instead of the external HDD I just use the cloud (Onedrive/Dropbox)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#118 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
May 02, 2014, 09:43:00 am
I find the iPad fine for that - and I never use iTunes... its not been on my PC for the last few years...
I will look into alternatives. What do you use for organising / playing music?

Instead of the external HDD I just use the cloud (Onedrive/Dropbox)
Fine for many purposes - I noted your comments about onedrive elsewhere - not sufficiently dependable for streaming music yet. In the backwoods of North London internet access is particularly unreliable in evenings. Can you imagine getting all the way to the Liebestod of Tristan (takes 3 hours) then losing your connection? Coitus interruptus!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#120 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
May 20, 2014, 04:29:46 pm
iPad Mini's currently £199 at Tesco Direct with this code TDX-LVY3 (knocks £20 off an already discounted price)

Love 'em or hate 'em, you can't argue they are expensive at that price. Nexus 7s are currently around £160. Runs out on 27 May I think.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#121 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
June 08, 2014, 12:16:09 pm
What is the best sub £100 pad for kids? (Two of ours have just been given pads by well meaning relatives leaving two seriously pissed off step siblings...)

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#122 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
June 08, 2014, 12:48:15 pm
2012 version of Nexus 7?

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#123 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
June 08, 2014, 01:59:34 pm
What is the best sub £100 pad for kids? (Two of ours have just been given pads by well meaning relatives leaving two seriously pissed off step siblings...)

x2 A4 and some couloured pencils.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#124 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
June 08, 2014, 02:25:15 pm
refurbed nook HD+ £90 on ebay

decent 9 inch screen that plays full 1080p and takes SD cards, so don't worry about memory

we've got one and it's ace - the ability to set up children's profiles means that they can't delete or access stuff that you don't let them

the kids appreciate the bigger screen for watching stuff on

no camera though, if that's a consideration

also worth looking at the 7 inch Nook HD if you want even cheaper

£60 on ebay

you can hang Nooks off a chain round the kids' necks for that full bling-bling effect
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:36:41 pm by lagerstarfish »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal