UKBouldering.com

is there an ipad alternative? (Read 36393 times)

douglas

• obsessive maniac
is there an ipad alternative?
August 11, 2012, 07:19:43 pm
I'm thinking about an ipad but was wondering if there's anything out there for similar money that might suit me better. I'm not to interested in endless apps and just want it for internet browsing, poker playing, GPS would be nice, as would the ability to drag and drop music files from my PC without itunes (which I don't currently use).

Is there anything out there that matches the quality and reliability?

Thanks

(I'm pretty clueless when it comes to technology)

SamT

• forum hero
#1 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
August 11, 2012, 10:47:10 pm

cool - been thinking the same recently - I'm guessing something Android based but not sure where to start with it all
(not actually spent much time on it though).

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
August 12, 2012, 09:01:44 am

There's some discussion of Android alternatives in the Android topic

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
August 12, 2012, 11:00:48 am
If you dont want to use iTunes avoid iPad.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
August 13, 2012, 12:08:31 pm
Thanks for the link.

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for something budget and it's not that I don't want to use itunes, but if I can get by without it, then that'd be nice.

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
August 13, 2012, 12:14:45 pm
I'd look at the Google tablet as you're not really intending on taxing it too much (you'll save a small fortune and spend less when you've got it). If that doesn't meet your needs then look at iPads as I'm not really convinced any of the Samsung or HTC offerings are actually all that good.

I have a very cheap ICS tablet (remarkably similar to the Samsung) which just falls short of the mark for me, however, I think the Google tablet would fix all of the issues I have (mainly lag).

Also, Google products (obviously) get the very best Android support unlike others manufacturers who leave their customers to screw around themselves once they've bought the device. A few people on here have just bought the Google Nexus 7, I'm sure they'll offer their opinion soon enough if its not elsewhere.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#6 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
August 13, 2012, 02:29:55 pm
Is it right that the Nexus 7's micro USB slot can't be used to output stuff to tv?

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
August 13, 2012, 02:34:25 pm
Is it right that the Nexus 7's micro USB slot can't be used to output stuff to tv?

currently, yes you're correct.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3127278/nexus-7-mhl-usb-otg

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#8 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
August 13, 2012, 03:03:27 pm
The more I read about them the more I think the replacement I need for my dying netbook isn't a tablet at all, it's a new netbook.

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
August 13, 2012, 03:15:38 pm
The more I read about them the more I think the replacement I need for my dying netbook isn't a tablet at all, it's a new netbook.

that's exactly my feeling too (this one is falling to bits and cooks my legs as the battery is ruined), if you want a larger version of a smartphone by all means buy a tablet but there's nowhere near the same flexibility as a netbook/keyboard interface. This is pretty evident when you need to do any browser type use, its just hard work.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
August 13, 2012, 03:21:25 pm

Most definitely. As much as the lass loves it for web browsing and it's quite useful for streaming telly and Love film etc, if you were just getting one thing get a new notebook.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
August 13, 2012, 05:41:51 pm
thanks for the ideas Paul

jdal

• regular
#12 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
August 13, 2012, 05:49:40 pm
You could always have a look at one of the several Android pads with keyboard docks, i.e. the ASUS looks just like  a netbook, but you can unplug the screen and use it as a pad. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-EeePad-Transformer-Tablet-Keyboard/dp/B006NTUJ0S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1344876535&sr=8-6 No idea about the functionality mind.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#13 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
August 13, 2012, 07:27:24 pm
I mainly use the tablet for playing spider, twitter and facebook. Anything where you have to type I go on the desktop. The netbook doesn't get much use these days

dave

#14 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
August 13, 2012, 08:00:50 pm
Ipads are great for browsing and you can stick it next to a bluetooth keyboard and bingo you're laughing, faux-netbook.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#15 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
September 17, 2012, 05:12:31 pm
I've been trying to play videos off various websites, modump etc n some of them wont play without flash player (?), this won't work on my iPad. Is there an alternative? If not why wud someone put vids out there that can't be seen on ishit? Cheers

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
September 17, 2012, 05:15:32 pm
I've been trying to play videos off various websites, modump etc n some of them wont play without flash player (?), this won't work on my iPad. Is there an alternative? If not why wud someone put vids out there that can't be seen on ishit? Cheers

The situation you find yourself in is because Steve Jobs refused to allow Flash on iDevices.

I think you can get someway around this by rooting your phone, but don't own any iDevices to have had the inclination to do so.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#17 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
September 17, 2012, 05:23:44 pm
I have no idea what u mean slackers, why wud I want to bury my phone? I take it that's a simple no u can't do it by simply havin an iPad n Internet? Why wouldn't a website enable u to watch vids on an apple device when a third of the world has them?

rich d

• forum hero
#18 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
September 17, 2012, 05:49:56 pm
This really fucks me off that I can't view flash when I borrow the wife's ipad. Properly stupid of apple to not make it work with normal websites. Dense I don't think there's any easy way around it. Dumb and annoying.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#19 is there an ipad alternative?
September 17, 2012, 05:54:44 pm
This really fucks me off that I can't view flash when I borrow the wife's ipad. Properly stupid of apple to not make it work with normal websites. Dense I don't think there's any easy way around it. Dumb and annoying.

+ 1

With knobs on.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#20 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
September 17, 2012, 06:00:42 pm
Unfortunatley my tiny headed friend, the internet was around many moons before the iShite devices came out.
Flash is outdated but still heavily used on the WWW and will eventually become redundant but that day is a long way off yet I think.
Another good reason not to buy Apple products because they don't "Just worktm"

a dense loner

• forum hero
#21 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
September 17, 2012, 06:13:21 pm
Outrageous. Cheers chaps

For those of u that don't have an iPad have a look at modump it is, or used to be, a good site for vids

tomtom

• forum hero
#22 is there an ipad alternative?
September 17, 2012, 08:00:09 pm
Dense, if you google there are other browsers (apps) that can show flash on an iPad via some server side shizzle..

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 is there an ipad alternative?
September 17, 2012, 08:01:40 pm
E.g Skyfire or photon. Not as good as having flash on the thing but they do the job...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#24 Re: is there an ipad alternative?
September 17, 2012, 08:16:09 pm
have a look at modump it is, or used to be, a good site for vids

I had a look, but there didn't seem to be any vids of me

:shrug:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal