UKBouldering.com

Eva Lopez Training plans (Read 217186 times)

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#200 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 12:52:17 pm
Shark just so you know and can put you're mind at rest, they have the boards at Kendal wall, I've been doing some work up here so climbing there a bit.

The texture/ resin that the board is made of makes training on it a bit like setting fire to all your fingers, then smashing a door shut on them repeatedly for a few hours, then pouring acid on them, only worse.

Wood all the way for this type of thing surely (the old school original wood S7 fingerboard that they have at the house in font would be pukka!!!!)  or just different size campus rungs upside down.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#201 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 12:58:44 pm
To summarise:
Getting strong on certain sizes of holds transfers best to similar holds. (Who would have thought it)

I thought that was the opposite of what she was claiming? that getting strong (with added weight) on larger holds transfers to small holds, but vice-versa doesn't.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#202 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 01:04:57 pm
The texture/ resin that the board is made of makes training on it a bit like setting fire to all your fingers, then smashing a door shut on them repeatedly for a few hours, then pouring acid on them, only worse.

:lol:

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#203 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 01:11:55 pm
Thats not as funny as the fact that it says on the training sheet that comes with it

"don't train on the board in warm temperatures"

In spain right???

abarro81

• forum hero
#204 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 01:13:44 pm
I thought that was the opposite of what she was claiming? that getting strong (with added weight) on larger holds transfers to small holds, but vice-versa doesn't.

I took my summary from this bit:
"there is correlation between maximum time in 10 mm and time in 8 and 12 mm; these in turn have correlation with 6 and 14 mm respectively. However, no measure could predict the performance for all edge depths."
and I read the other stuff as meaning that training on a large-ish hold with weight is better than a small one, not that training on a small one doesn't transfer at all.

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#205 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 01:15:12 pm
fuckin hell barrows you're a fun sponge!

we're trying to have some banter here.

rodma

• forum hero
#206 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 01:42:21 pm
MY ANSWER:
Look, no exercise transfers to everything, and no correlation in biomedic science is perfect, or equal to 1. This means that one variable can explain part of the variance of another, but never 100% of it. This is why I just can say that there is a correlation (0,79 to be exact) between maximum added weight on a 15 mm edge for 5 seconds and maximum time on a 10 mm edge. There is another interesting and logical result that I found in another study that will be included in my thesis: there is correlation between maximum time in 10 mm and time in 8 and 12 mm; these in turn have correlation with 6 and 14 mm respectively. However, no measure could predict the performance for all edge depths.

Perhaps its poor wording, but that sounds very unusual from a statistical stand-point.

I'd be interested to see if she done anything more sophisticated than simply calculate correlation coefficients with her data.

I would take from what that, that when you get much smaller than 6, it's nails so some folk will be able to do it and others won't even be able to take the pain, and when you get much above 14mm, you get very near the joint (depending on grip type/morphology) so ability would vary wildly from one griptype/climber to another. You would only expect correlation where all force is applied through the pad (and not the joint or bone end)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#207 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 02:38:18 pm
I'll read the paper(s) when they are published.  :coffee:

abarro81

• forum hero
#208 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 02:42:58 pm
Banter is for the weak.  :weakbench:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#209 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 03:01:31 pm
I would take from what that, that when you get much smaller than 6, it's nails so some folk will be able to do it and others won't even be able to take the pain, and when you get much above 14mm, you get very near the joint (depending on grip type/morphology) so ability would vary wildly from one griptype/climber to another. You would only expect correlation where all force is applied through the pad (and not the joint or bone end)

I'd expect there would still be a relationship outside of the pairs stated, even if its non-linear,  that have been tested for correlation within the ranges stated.  Extrapolating outside of the ranges studied/reported is always dubious.  :geek:

rodma

• forum hero
#210 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 03:14:08 pm

I'd expect there would still be a relationship outside of the pairs stated, even if its non-linear,  that have been tested for correlation within the ranges stated.  Extrapolating outside of the ranges studied/reported is always dubious.  :geek:

Oops, I had somehow missed the 10 and 15 being considered seperately to 6,8,10,12,14, which is definitely a wee bit suspect.

On the other hand the increased weight on 15 led to increase on 10 and the increased weight on 10 led to increase not just in 8 and 6, but to and increase in 12 and 14, which would mean that training on a small edge makes you stronger on a larger and smaller edge, which i thought was not what she was saying elsewhere. Am just confused now and this all makes me glad that I've stuck with Accapi rather than this pseudoscience  :P

standard

• obsessive maniac
#211 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 29, 2012, 05:11:54 pm
Did my 35 second test hang at the gym. Was slightly worried I wasn't going to manage it, but thankfully it was easy.
Next step, get a hold of a 18mm campus rung.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#212 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 29, 2012, 06:22:07 pm
Anyway in a typical session, I'm constantly alternating max and sub max hangs, because on certain holds I am a lot stronger and I can't add too much weight, because it's a hassle, I keep the same weight and hang for longer. Also a lot longer.
So, to target the stronger prehensions at their max, I prefer to switch to one handed hangs, with or without assistance.
And the circle is complete: from one handed, to Lopez, to one handed!
Ringkomposition!
I still think that one armed hangs (even with assistance) are much better.

Hi Nibs  :wave:

Thought you might be interested in Eva's thoughts on one-handed work if you hadn't seen the relevant posts.

http://en-eva-lopez.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/why-progression.html?showComment=1329591692574
AnonymousFebruary 16, 2012 11:19 PM

I was curious: are your dead hangs performed with two hands or one arm? whats your oppinion about this? Great Post by the way!

Replies

Eva LópezFebruary 18, 2012 8:01 PM

Hi, thanks for your participation! All your questions are really interesting
;-)

I usually perform my dead hangs with two hands, and that is the position I propose here.

Nevertheless ,one-handed dead hangs can be adequate for those with a very high level of maximum finger strength (who "unfortunately" need to use added weight representing more than 70% of their body mass, or have to use edges less than 6 mm-deep). Going one-handed for them would represent using no or little added weight (good for their lower back) or choosing bigger edges (good for their skin). But this change in the style implies a less stable posture that can be difficult to master. In fact, when hanging off one arm we no longer can focus on holding from the edge and avoid swinging when lifting our feet off the ground; we have also to fight the tendency of the body to rotate, and keep our elbow slightly flexed to put less strain on it and on the shoulder/neck.

Testing would be needed to see if this can be useful to climbers with a less demanding profile, but anyway I'll tell you that I usually don't recommend training schedules with a steep and fast progression. I tend to first use the easiest methods and loads that promote adaptation in the body, and slowly increase the load and difficulty in a process that can take years. This allows us to enjoy greater long-term improvement and to reduce the risk of injuries.

Regards.

http://en-eva-lopez.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/dead-hang-training-on-small-edges.html
AnonymousJune 12, 2012 8:05 PM

Hi Eva,

I would like to have your opinion about one arm dead hangs. do you think it's better to do one arm dead hangs or two arm dead hangs with a lot of added weight?

thanks

Adrien

Replies

Eva LópezJuly 3, 2012 12:28 PM

Hi Adrien,

You can find some of my thougths about it in a previous comment

I can add a couple of cases where they could be of use:

- For people with pain in their elbows caused by overuse of their pronator muscles, that as you know have their insertions in the elbow. By doing one-hand deadhangs we switch to a neutral position of the forearm, where the palm is facing us instead of facing away from us. This way we release some of the stress on these muscles.

- For working our strength with the open hand type of grip, on holds 30-40 mm deep, or specific one-hand maximum strength, especially for bouldering.

- Taking advantage of the fact that this position is unstable in nature, so we can work our body tension along with our fingers but, as I comment in the link above, only for the most experienced climbers.

As you can see, there are several uses to one-handed deadhangs, but beware, one of the drawbacks of performing them is that you must at all times watch your shoulder for signs of fatigue or over-extension, because it is the weak link in this exercise.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#213 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 29, 2012, 06:35:35 pm
I have another two weeks on the small holds.

Given this initial 8 weeks strength phase is meant to be a good base for finger endurance training I was thinking of following it with 8 weeks ( 2 sessions a week) on a systems board laddering up and down which is a session I have found really useful in the past for training fingery endurance.

I thought for the first 4 weeks I would do it on big holds with a weight belt then the second 4 weeks on smaller holds unweighted or with low weights added.

Session would be sets of 20 moves counting to 3 on each hold so 60 secs on the board for each set. Perhaps 3 sets with 5 minutes between sets. Weight adjusted (or angle of board adjusted) so that the sets are completed 2 moves before failure.

Thoughts?   

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#214 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 29, 2012, 07:58:31 pm
Beast thanks!!!

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#215 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 30, 2012, 09:45:41 am
Did my 35 second test hang at the gym. Was slightly worried I wasn't going to manage it, but thankfully it was easy.
Next step, get a hold of a 18mm campus rung.

:-\ I know where you can get yourself an 18mm rung from!   ;)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#217 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
August 02, 2012, 10:12:26 am
Just done a session with 4x10secs with 7.5kg added - another PB.

I wasnt expecting to get past 5kg but it went down OK with 40 seconds of grimacing.

This is my 3rd week on the small hold (about 13mm) and compares favourably with the first session when I was the same weight and required 2.5kg off - so that represents a 10kg improvement in 16 days.

Unfortunately I can only fit this one session this week given that a day's prior rest is required. So two sessions next week and then the 8 week cycle is over.

After that some finger endurance training. I guess. 

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#218 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
August 02, 2012, 10:32:04 am
But are you still maintaining the 3 second 'effort level' margin she recommend? Or have just progressed to maximum effort hangs in pursuit of gold and glory?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#219 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
August 02, 2012, 10:41:24 am
But are you still maintaining the 3 second 'effort level' margin she recommend? Or have just progressed to maximum effort hangs in pursuit of gold and glory?

It is always a guesstimate with the effort level but the fact I completed all 4 hangs means its about right and consistent with previous sessions. In fact I think I struggled more on the last session with +5kg. I tend to take a guide from the warm-up hangs gradually where I work up to the 4 hangs adding 2.5kg or so each time.   

Stubbs

#220 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
August 02, 2012, 11:55:56 am
How is your skin coping Shark?  The holds looks horrible.

standard

• obsessive maniac
#221 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
August 02, 2012, 01:24:41 pm
Just done a session with 4x10secs with 7.5kg added - another PB.

I wasnt expecting to get past 5kg but it went down OK with 40 seconds of grimacing.

This is my 3rd week on the small hold (about 13mm) and compares favourably with the first session when I was the same weight and required 2.5kg off - so that represents a 10kg improvement in 16 days.

Unfortunately I can only fit this one session this week given that a day's prior rest is required. So two sessions next week and then the 8 week cycle is over.

After that some finger endurance training. I guess.

Did you do 4 weeks on the 18mm  and 4 on the 13mm? Is that what you are referring to for your 8 week cycle?
What does Eva say to do once this is complete? At what point do you go back to another cycle?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#222 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
August 02, 2012, 02:37:49 pm
How is your skin coping Shark?  The holds looks horrible.

Fine - I'm using rounded wooden edges/slots and applying the principles rather than her resin board. 

Did you do 4 weeks on the 18mm  and 4 on the 13mm? Is that what you are referring to for your 8 week cycle?
What does Eva say to do once this is complete? At what point do you go back to another cycle?

Yes that's what I'm referring to by the 8 weeks.

The rounded edge/slot I used for the weighted hangs is actually about 24mm (just measured it) and over the 4 weeks I progressed up to +32.5kg which was too heavy as I didnt manage a full 4x10sec session. Currently in Week 3 of the hangs on the 13mm edge.

I havent got the poster so I don't know what her recommendations are after the initial 8 weeks and its not entirely clear from the blog though the maximal training is meant to be a good base for finger endurance training.

She recommends "intermittant hangs" for strength endurance which I'm guessing are like repeaters. I think I would rather train short fingery endurance on a systems board.

In the periodised progarmme on the poster the hang durations and effort levels (EL) will alter from the protocol of the Introductory 8 weeks.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#223 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
August 02, 2012, 04:09:00 pm
Just a quick update from my end.  I made the decision after doing the first 4-weeks and trying the small hold(was able to do about 9-10mm) to not do the small hold training due to skin issues and wanting my skin saved for outside.  So instead I took 2-weeks off of the finger training and then went back to the initial 4-week cycle.  I just finished week 2 and these are my results so far:

Day             Reps   Added Weight (lbs)
07/23/2012   3        91
07/26/2012   5        91
07/30/2012   5        96
08/02/2012   4        101

Overall, I feel like my ability to pull hard on small holds has steadily been increasing as well.  I have certainly seen significant gains on the rock, I would say almost 1 grade(bouldering v grade) difference in the last 6 weeks.

My question for everyone comes back to something brought up earlier in the thread that the gains from the initial 4 week cycle are primarily nueromuscular, and not raw strength gains.  As this is a second 4 week cycle, would the argument that these are nueromuscular gains still stand?

For reference, here are the first 4 weeks:

Day             Reps   Added Weight (lbs)
06/12/2012   4        70
06/15/2012   5        70
06/21/2012   4        80
06/25/2012   3        87
06/27/2012   5        87
07/03/2012   4        91
07/07/2012   5        91

I've also decreased body weight over the course of this cycle from 174lbs to 169lbs.

Dr T

• forum hero
#224 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
August 02, 2012, 06:03:54 pm
I had to convert it to make any sense of it so I figured I'd do some public service broadcasting.....

Day             Reps   Added Weight (kg)
07/23/2012   3        41.3
07/26/2012   5        41.3
07/30/2012   5        43.4
08/02/2012   4        45.8

For reference, here are the first 4 weeks:

Day             Reps   Added Weight (kg)
06/12/2012   4        31.8
06/15/2012   5        31.8
06/21/2012   4        36.3
06/25/2012   3        39.5
06/27/2012   5        39.5
07/03/2012   4        41.3
07/07/2012   5        41.3

I've also decreased body weight over the course of this cycle from 78.5kg to 76.7kg.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal