UKBouldering.com

Eva Lopez Training plans (Read 217225 times)

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#125 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 13, 2012, 11:53:51 pm
An update of the n=1 study for my training via Mrs. Lopez plan.  After testing the small hold hangs, I came to the conclusion that doing this is very tough on your skin.  As my skin needs to be in shape for climbing outside, I am not doing the small holds cycle at this time.  I will most likely try it again during the winter.  I am however going to take a week off, then do another 4-week cycle of weighted hangs on the 18mm edge.

Paul B

• forum hero
#126 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 14, 2012, 12:05:53 am
what percentage of your bodyweight do you think you can safely and easily hang off yourself and perform these hangs?

I'm asking because I'd imagine that if you take someone relatively steely fingered, 18mm might result in a ridiculous amount of weight being required, making practicality a limiting factor.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#127 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 14, 2012, 12:34:36 am
what percentage of your bodyweight do you think you can safely and easily hang off yourself and perform these hangs?

I'm asking because I'd imagine that if you take someone relatively steely fingered, 18mm might result in a ridiculous amount of weight being required, making practicality a limiting factor.

She says you can progress to a 14mm edge with the weighted hangs

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#128 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 14, 2012, 12:45:15 am

She seems to say you go up to about 70% of BW, then move to a smaller edge and build up again as Shark noted down to a 14mm edge.

Paul B

• forum hero
#129 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 14, 2012, 12:56:40 am
I wasn't so much asking what she was advocating, I was asking how much weight you feel you can feasibly and safely hang from a belt, rucksack etc. before it becomes less than practical.

benpritch

• forum abuser
#130 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 14, 2012, 08:59:25 am
hi Paul, after my initial whingery about the weights hurting me I found an old access harness (navahoe i think) i can now comfortably hang 40kg off the front. This is about 55% of my body weight. I am confident i can add more without danger. When i was a kid and did power pulls I used to hang 60kg off myself and I only weighed about 65 kg then.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#131 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 14, 2012, 09:15:15 am
I've tried again recently and found 40 kg already very uncomfortable (I weigh 65). In the past I've added up to 47,5 but that felt quite horrible and dangerous as well in case of suddenly ripping off from the hold.
I still think that one armed hangs (even with assistance) are much better.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#132 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 14, 2012, 02:59:41 pm
After testing the small hold hangs, I came to the conclusion that doing this is very tough on your skin.  As my skin needs to be in shape for climbing outside, I am not doing the small holds cycle at this time.  I will most likely try it again during the winter.  I am however going to take a week off, then do another 4-week cycle of weighted hangs on the 18mm edge.

Is this just an excuse and the real reason is that you have got addicted to the good gains from weighted hangs and because the science behind the transition to small holds isnt really covered on Eva's blog you think you can break the rules..!!!??

(Only asking because its the question I've been asking myself as I am thinking of doing the same)

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#133 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 14, 2012, 03:25:40 pm
here:
Hablando de cantos pequeños y entrenamiento

En un estudio propio (López Rivera, E. y González Badillo, J.J. artículo en preparación), encontramos correlación entre el máximo lastre soportado durante 5 segundos de una regleta de 15mm, y la mínima regleta soportada durante 10 segundos. Este resultado está en linea con el estudio de Bourne et al. (2011), que encontraron relación positiva significativa entre la fuerza máxima aplicada en newtons sobre una regleta de 12.8mm, y la desarrollada sobre 7.3 y 5.8mm.

Los anteriores resultados, junto al hecho de que en nuestro estudio (López, E. y González Badillo, J.J.; 2012), en el grupo que entrenó con lastre 4 semanas sobre una regleta de 18mm, halláramos correlación positiva significativa, entre sus resultados en porcentaje de mejora en fuerza, y el de mejora en tiempo máximo de una regleta de 11mm sin lastre;así como en el tamaño mínimo de regleta soportada durante 10 segundos; quiere decir que:
- Después de entrenar con lastre en una regleta de tamaño mediano, como es la de 18 mm, obtenemos una mejora en quedarnos más tiempo de regletas pequeñas (11mm), y en conseguir quedarnos de cantos menores. Mejoras que, como todos sabemos, en ocasiones determinan el éxito en una escalada.
En cuanto a aspectos prácticos del entrenamiento y escalada sobre cantos muy pequeños o ñapas

Según el mismo estudio de Bourne et al. (2011), la fuerza aplicada sobre cantos muy pequeños como de 4.3 y 2.8mm, no tenía correlación con la máxima fuerza aplicada en 12.5mm, y sí con factores antropométricos como poseer un mínimo volumen del pulpejo formado entre el final de la falange ósea y el de la yema del dedo (distancia entre hueso y punta del dedo).

taken from here:
http://eva-lopez.blogspot.it/2012/01/entrenamiento-de-suspensiones-en-cantos.html

benpritch

• forum abuser
#134 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 14, 2012, 06:10:34 pm
Speaking of small ridges and training

In an own study (López Rivera, E. and Gonzalez Badillo, JJ Article in preparation), we found correlation between the maximum ballast supported for 5 seconds of a strip of 15mm, and the minimum supported strip for 10 seconds. This result is in line with the study of Bourne et al. (2011), who found significant positive relationship between the maximum applied force in newtons on a strip of 12.8mm, and developed on 7.3 and 5.8mm.

The above results, together with the fact that in our study (Lopez, E. and Gonzalez Badillo, JJ, 2012), in the training group 4 weeks on a drag strip 18mm halláramos significant positive correlation between the results in percentage improvement in strength, and the improvement in maximum time a strip of 11mm without ballast, as well as in the minimum size of strip supported for 10 seconds, means:
- After training with ballast in a strip of medium size, as is 18 mm, provides improved longer stay small strips (11mm) and get to stay lower edge. Improvements, as we all know, sometimes determine success in a climb.
As for practical aspects of training and climbing very small edges or webs

The same study of Bourne et al. (2011), the force applied to songs very small as 4.3 and 2.8mm, had no correlation with the maximum force applied at 12.5mm, and together with anthropometric factors such as having a minimum volume of the pad formed between the end of the phalanx bone and the fingertip (distance between bone and fingertip).

google translate version

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#135 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 14, 2012, 06:35:07 pm
Speaking of small edges and training

In an own study (López Rivera, E. and Gonzalez Badillo, JJ Article in preparation), we found correlation between the maximum ballast supported for 5 seconds on an edge of 15mm, and the smallest edge hung for 10 seconds. This result is in line with the study of Bourne et al. (2011), who found significant positive relationship between the maximum applied force in newtons on an edge of 12.8mm, and developed on 7.3 and 5.8mm.

The above results, together with the fact that in our study (Lopez, E. and Gonzalez Badillo, JJ, 2012), in the group that trained for 4 weeks with added weight on an edge of 18mm we found significant positive correlation between the results in percentage improvement in strength, and the improvement in maximum time on an edge of 11mm without ballast, as well as in the minimum size of an edge hung for 10 seconds, means:
- After training with ballast on an edge of medium size, as is 18 mm, we found improvement in hanging for longer on a smaller edge (11mm) and being able to hold smaller edges. these Improvements, as we all know, sometimes determine success in a climb.
As for practical aspects of training and climbing on very small edges

The same study of Bourne et al. (2011), the force applied to very small edges as 4.3 and 2.8mm, had no correlation with the maximum force applied at 12.5mm, but with anthropometric factors such as having a minimum volume of the pad formed between the end of the phalanx bone and the fingertip (distance between bone and fingertip).

rectified

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#136 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 14, 2012, 07:09:34 pm
I wasn't so much asking what she was advocating, I was asking how much weight you feel you can feasibly and safely hang from a belt, rucksack etc. before it becomes less than practical.

I finished the 4 week cycle with 95lbs added weight(43kg) and can definitely add more.  I split the weight between a rucksack(50lbs) and off the harness.  70% of BW for me is 120lbs (54kg) which I added to see how it would feel (on a much bigger hold) and it didn't seem to feel too bad in terms of body position.  I won't go any higher than 50lbs in the rucksack though. 

Paul B

• forum hero
#137 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 14, 2012, 07:26:00 pm
Thanks.

Like Pritch I've done powerpulls in the past and although at the time I was using a very poor belt (probably the same one?), there's no way it was ever comfortable, and I'm fairly sceptical of hanging 70% additional bodyweight from a standard harness.

The same study of Bourne et al. (2011), the force applied to very small edges as 4.3 and 2.8mm, had no correlation with the maximum force applied at 12.5mm, but with anthropometric factors such as having a minimum volume of the pad formed between the end of the phalanx bone and the fingertip (distance between bone and fingertip).

i.e. it doesn't matter how much weight you can hang at 12.5mm? I'm not sure I'm willing to accept that this is anthropometric factors at work. Are we to believe Variable, Smitton and other climbers with beastly finger strength all have the same length fingertip or is it more likely that they've spent a LOT of time using small holds deadhanging even?

Its probably evident that I'm a little sceptical (more so when a product is involved), maybe mainly on practical grounds; I'm unconvinced how much room for manoeuvre there is with hold sizes and weight.

Also (and maybe I'll be shot down in flames here), I'd hazard a guess that the average finger strength here (UK) is greater than that in Spain, certainly shoulder injuries are a lot more common over there, and finger injuries less so (this is anecdotal but unsurprising if you simply compare the style of boards used). This compounds my above thoughts; her rungs are flat and large, I've seen people knock out one arm, crimped encores on the beastmaker. Where does Lopez fit in with that?

It doesn't help that I've just done a Scholar search and can't find the paper itself. Has anyone actually read it and if so a link would be much appreciated)?

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#138 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 14, 2012, 08:01:57 pm
I think she says on the site that the paper is not published yet.

Agreed on some degree of scepticism, but it's easy enough to do the training without a board.  if you dif enogh on her site, you can find the original design she used for the testing and training for her paper looked to be an adjustable wooden set-up.

Paul B

• forum hero
#139 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 14, 2012, 08:33:59 pm
I've seen the wooden contraption, I just have my doubts (or maybe questions would be a better word), TBH I'd just like to read the study.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#140 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 14, 2012, 11:48:23 pm
Thanks.

Like Pritch I've done powerpulls in the past and although at the time I was using a very poor belt (probably the same one?), there's no way it was ever comfortable, and I'm fairly sceptical of hanging 70% additional bodyweight from a standard harness.

i.e. it doesn't matter how much weight you can hang at 12.5mm? I'm not sure I'm willing to accept that this is anthropometric factors at work. Are we to believe Variable, Smitton and other climbers with beastly finger strength all have the same length fingertip or is it more likely that they've spent a LOT of time using small holds deadhanging even?

Its probably evident that I'm a little sceptical (more so when a product is involved), maybe mainly on practical grounds; I'm unconvinced how much room for manoeuvre there is with hold sizes and weight.

Also (and maybe I'll be shot down in flames here), I'd hazard a guess that the average finger strength here (UK) is greater than that in Spain, certainly shoulder injuries are a lot more common over there, and finger injuries less so (this is anecdotal but unsurprising if you simply compare the style of boards used). This compounds my above thoughts; her rungs are flat and large, I've seen people knock out one arm, crimped encores on the beastmaker. Where does Lopez fit in with that?

It doesn't help that I've just done a Scholar search and can't find the paper itself. Has anyone actually read it and if so a link would be much appreciated)?

One thing I noticed when starting this was that when I measured the lower outside crimp on the BM2000, it was about 15mm.  The difference is that it is pretty sloped.  So her rungs really aren't much bigger.  Flat yes, large no. 

Before you get too skeptical about the 2.8 and 4.3mm edges, go try them, and see what you think......

Otherwise, I agree.  I'd really like to get a copy of the study.

finbarrr

• obsessive maniac
#141 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 15, 2012, 09:58:55 am
Thanks.

i read it: finger strength gained on the 12.5 and 15 mm rungs will translate to smaller rungs, down to 5.8 mm, which is good news for training as the smaller holds tend to be harder on the fingers. if you want to get better on even smaller holds (4.3-2.8), you're going to have to train specifically for them and find out what kind of grip will suit your morphology (i speculate that the correlation ends there because the usual grip positions will not fit anymore, i have pretty big hands and if i weight the tips in an open crimp, the front 4 mm is soft flesh, there is now way i'm going to hold on to 4.3mm in that grip position, i'd have to go nails in, so in practice i just try another boulder problem)

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#142 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 15, 2012, 10:26:42 am
The other day I was thinking that the only good way to train on very small holds without skin and pulp issues, is to make an incut hold.
This way, there is no friction and skin issue.
Maybe today I can try and make a couple of crimps.
I haven't tried a 5mm edge in years, let alone 2,8 or 4,3, but when I have I half crimped as usual.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#143 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 19, 2012, 02:09:28 pm
Update.

This week I transferreed to hangs on a small edge which I benchmarked at 4 secs to failure 20 days ago.

On Tuesday using the same hold I did 4x10secs with 2.5kg assistance. Just now I did 4x10secs with 2.5kg added.

And I weigh more.

:bounce:

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#144 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 19, 2012, 02:14:11 pm
 :dance1:

b3n99

• stalker
#145 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 21, 2012, 04:02:17 pm
So 4th session on this plan today and some real gains now, very pleased. After adding probably too much weight last session i kept it the same this time and noticed a big difference. So an average gain of over 1kg per session so far. Also tried one arm hanging the middle slot on the metolius simulator which has been a goal for some time and managed a solid hang of about 3 seconds so it seems the gains also transfer quite well to an open hand grip. Very pleased :) Also the deadlift session that i have finally recovered from has definetly helped along the front lever training, feeling strong!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#146 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 23, 2012, 12:14:41 pm
Update.

On Tuesday using the same hold I did 4x10secs with 2.5kg assistance. Just now I did 4x10secs with 2.5kg added.

And I weigh more.

:bounce:

+5kg just now  ;D

And I weigh even more   :) :(

Stubbs

#147 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 23, 2012, 12:15:58 pm
It's nice having this group of guinea pigs for this new training strategy, if only we could get a few hundred people doing it there might be a paper in it!

Paul B

• forum hero
#148 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 23, 2012, 12:25:24 pm
It's nice having this group of guinea pigs for this new training strategy, if only we could get a few hundred people doing it there might be a paper in it!

Incidentally I asked for a copy of the paper and was told (no, and) that it'd be published in a scientific journal. Not completely unsurprising.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#149 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 12:14:01 pm
There's a review of the boards over on the other channel by Gore which also has a bit more information on her research. It seems the boards will also be available to buy at selected walls like The Depot soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal