UKBouldering.com

approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids? (Read 12238 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids?
June 09, 2012, 09:45:23 am
Clarks are rubbish for climbing in and the kids are keen to do some climbing but I don't want to get seperate climbing shoes for them (ie messing about changing shoes at the crag etc.).
Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced approach shoe for kids, thats good for climbing in (ie like 5.10 trainers)?

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Couldn't you get an old pair of shoes resoled in dotty Stealth?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
how old are the little angels?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
When I was little I climbed in either walking boots or gym plimsolls. I'm sure you can still get gym plimsolls, they will be fine until they are climbing 5c - they did Joe Brown fine up until PAs came out.

fried

• forum hero
The kids have been using the smallest pairs of climbing shoes I can scrounge up and lots of pairs of socks, I'm sure this only works up to a point though.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#5 approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids?
June 09, 2012, 03:40:59 pm
Mad Monkeys and black Plimsolls. Shoe Zone do a velcro plimsoll for around £3-4 ish.
Both of mine used plimsolls from age 3 until they could wear a child 11 and have a pair of rock shoes (first Simonds then Mad Monkeys) never found a good combination approach/climbing shoe. Tried the eldest in walking boots once (as I started with (Blacks cheapo's)), she hated it.
Youngest is still using Plimsolls, though at 3 it's more about feeling the part than anything else...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Cool, I'll try some plimsols.
Thanks
for the suggestions
(kids are 2 and 4 btw)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Neoprene slip-on beach shoes work very well.  I'd offer these (size 6) but can only find one shoe...

underground

• forum hero
Get the plimsolls with a beige rubber sole, it's softer... We get ours from Sainsburys for PE and climbing. Of course the ones they have for climbing have the proper climbing shoe soles in case doubt as to the climbing shoe credentials creeps in...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
What's the big deal with swapping shoes? Treat them to some Decathlon kids shoes. Think they may be Simond. £20. We've used plimsols and trainers but they'll pretty soon get to their limit in them. Would you be happy climbing in them?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Leif had plimsolls till he fit in rock shoes. Now he either wears them out and they go in the bin, or he grows out of them and they get ebayed. V. healthy second hand market in kid kids shoes on there, with little loss in value.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
For approach shoe use you could look at geox and they can double up as their normal shoes and some have really good gripy soles.

rich d

• forum hero
#12 Re: approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids?
November 18, 2012, 12:07:23 pm
Looking at getting some for my eldest girl who's 6, are climbing shoes worth it over plimsols?

erm, sam

• forum hero
#13 Re: approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids?
November 19, 2012, 05:39:16 pm
My 5 and 7 yr olds have Mad Rock mad monkeys. They are way more comfy and adjustable than the decathlon own brand ones and fit for quite a size/age range due to the good adjustments. I'm not sure if it makes that much difference to my kids but they really like having special shoes and I think it helps them to have confidence when smearing etc.

rich d

• forum hero
#14 Re: approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids?
November 19, 2012, 09:31:32 pm
Cheers Sam, I think she'd really enjoy having the shoes, being included and involved is part of what she enjoys about climbing. What do you do sizing wise?

erm, sam

• forum hero
#15 Re: approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids?
November 19, 2012, 10:55:22 pm
5yr old has 11 uk trainers and 32eur mad monkeys, 7yr old has 33s. The velcro round the back does a lot of adjustment though I sewed on a tiny extra bit to enable ultra smallness. The 33s are pretty big for her and will be good for a while yet, so I'd have thought the 32s might be the best bet for a 6yr old, unless she is in clown training school.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#16 Re: approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids?
November 20, 2012, 11:06:40 am
my girl is 8 and has been bouldering for a couple of years, our local wall have kids sized shoes but we eventually bought her some of her own and they are way better than trainers or even plimsols... I am actually getting some prototype climbing shorts made for her to test and if anybody wants any for their rug rats ping me an email, the more testers I have the better.

rich d

• forum hero
#17 Re: approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids?
November 20, 2012, 11:22:41 am
So a pair of mad rock monkeys will be added to santa's list. Cheers guys

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#18 Re: approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids?
November 20, 2012, 12:40:40 pm
Shame the Madrock webstore doesn't do UK shipping. Currently on offer in their outlet for $29 (£18)

Paul B

• forum hero
#19 Re: approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids?
November 20, 2012, 01:04:38 pm
Cheers Sam, I think she'd really enjoy having the shoes, being included and involved is part of what she enjoys about climbing. What do you do sizing wise?

Or there's the Evolv venga too.

rich d

• forum hero
#20 Re: approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids?
November 20, 2012, 01:10:36 pm
Had a good look on line (instead of working) and we'll try a few different ones on before santa delivers them. Advice seems to be to size up a couple of sizes, wear with socks and get one with adjustable heel strap thingy. Probably keep my eyes out for some cheap deals in meantime.

rich d

• forum hero
#21 Re: approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids?
November 27, 2012, 08:51:37 pm
So she tried a few on today, no mad rock monkeys, but she did try the Edelrid Croccys any of the UKB super nanny's got any experience of them

torquil

#22 Re: approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids?
November 27, 2012, 09:28:22 pm
when I strip a dotty-rubber sole off approach shoes for resoling, I cut  the middle section out (they are often just worn at the heel and toe) and then stick it on my sons black plimsoles.

To be honest they don't really need it as the black plimsoles seem pretty good as they are, but it seems a shame to throw away usable rubber!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#23 Re: approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids?
November 28, 2012, 10:34:48 am
Spoken like a true recycler.

FairWeatherClimber

#24 Re: approach shoe /climbing shoe for kids?
February 09, 2013, 11:39:47 am
I bought my boys some shoes here http://bouldersuk.com/climbing-shoes/kids-climbing-shoes

There's no way they would wear the same shoes so I got 1 pair of Mad Monkeys and a pair of the boreal ninja's

They both love them and I was very impressed when they arrived the next day in time for their climbing session

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal