UKBouldering.com

High Rocks, Southern Sandstone Access Issues (Read 3309 times)

Ben Read

• Southern Sandstone Bouldering Guide
There has been a recent number of break-ins to High Rocks recently, highlighted by an email from the owner to the BMC threatening that if it continues then climbing access may have to be reconsidered. These break-ins have been by people making holes in the perimeter to avoid entering through the main gate. Due to the owners insurance he must maintain a complete perimeter fence and having to continue to repair this is proving quite an expense to him. It is his belief, rightly or wrongly is irrelevant, that it is climbers causing these holes and therefore is looking to take action.

It is with great importance that everyone pays to climb here and enters through the main gate and does not break in through the fence. If you do not want to pay to climb then I advise you find another crag!

If climbing was to be banned from High Rocks it will be a major blow to climbing in the South East.

A meeting is currently being set up with owner but everyone can do their bit by making sure to pay and use the correct entrance. It is my personal view that anyone caught ignoring this should be named and shamed!

I shall keep updating here as and when I hear more news.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
Name & shame- Hell yeah. I would hate to loose this place due to selfish, tight fisted climbers.

danm

• junky
Remember, other sandstone crags are available  :)

If you don't want to pay, don't. Climb at Harrisons, Stone Farm etc. instead.

i.munro

• junky
I hesitate to suggest this due to the inevitable pointless row - but should this go on the 'other channel' to reach as many people as possible, assuming you haven't done so already?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Probably right (that it should and that a messy pointless row will be inevitable). Can't believe the stupidity of these people btw.
 :chair:

Ben Read

• Southern Sandstone Bouldering Guide
I have sent a request in to the news room of UKC as hopefully they will do an article on the atter which will reach a bigger audience than just one thread.

If I dont hear back from them soon then I will get the ball rolling and then sit back and watch it all unfold... :popcorn:

Omar15

• addict
I was there the other night (I was forced) and there were a load of chavs bumming around on top of the boulders. I'm pretty sure they didn't pay £3 each to get in!

chriss

• obsessive maniac
I was there the other night (I was forced) and there were a load of chavs bumming around on top of the boulders. I'm pretty sure they didn't pay £3 each to get in!

Fair point & your right it's not just climbers, BUT we all have to do our bit to show that climbers are not the problem.

tomtom

• forum hero
Well done for the tip off..
Looks like its made it to the other cahnnel.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=66998

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal