UKBouldering.com

Ankle injury - tendon? (Read 1841 times)

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Ankle injury - tendon?
February 17, 2012, 09:44:16 am
Last Saturday I was at the NIBL when I felt a nasty 'popping' on the outside of my right ankle as I stood on a highish hold. Ice was administered and there was relatively little swelling but a fair amount of pain. The next day the ankle had swollen a little more and has stayed swollen. It feels like a tendon on the outside of the ankle has, for want of a better desciption, come loose and is moving round the ankle in places it shouldn't.

I can walk on it fine, but as soon as I try to put any strain on the ankle the pain re-appears and I can feel the tendon move. Anyone know what I've done, or if there is a cure (apart from RICE, which I've been doing as much as I can).

Cheers

Dolly

• forum hero
#1 Re: Ankle injury - tendon?
February 17, 2012, 10:10:16 am
I'd go and get and xray as soon as you can. I'm no expert but sounds more like one of the three ligaments ?
You don't want to leave it only to find that you've damaged it more severely.
Have a look at the NNFN thread to see what happened to Lager's ankle.
I rolled mine on the 2nd of Jan (with a nasty popping sound) and it hasn't been right since.
I went to see a physio on Wednesday and I've got a load of exercises to do to strengthen it.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#2 Re: Ankle injury - tendon?
February 17, 2012, 10:30:19 am
I'm not sure about the ligaments as I can deffo feel a major tendon move in places it shouldn't. It starts off at the back of the ankle and seems to 'pop' round to the front and back again. The pain radiates up the outside of the shin.

Dolly

• forum hero
#3 Re: Ankle injury - tendon?
February 17, 2012, 10:48:28 am
The pain in your shin could be the muscle compensating to protect the ankle from too wide a range of movement ? That's what was happening with mine

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Ankle injury - tendon?
February 17, 2012, 01:06:35 pm
Andy, usual perils of internet diagnosis apply but this sounds like something you should see someone orthopaedic about fairly quickly. I'll PM you when I have more time.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#5 Re: Ankle injury - tendon?
February 17, 2012, 02:43:59 pm
Have you tried removing any 'piercings'?

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#6 Re: Ankle injury - tendon?
February 17, 2012, 03:44:08 pm
Have you tried removing any 'piercings'?
I'm pretty certain my Prince Albert has nothing to do with the ankle injury  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal