UKBouldering.com

Adding volumes to a board?... (Read 2044 times)

gruffalo

• player
  • theres many ways to skin a cat....
Adding volumes to a board?...
October 26, 2011, 10:59:49 pm
Ive got a training board 12foot/8foot board I was thinking about putting some volumes on it to get some different types of movement making more like the real thing.. Any one had any joy with using them... I guess the board needs to be big enough to make it work

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#1 Re: Adding volumes to a board?...
October 27, 2011, 12:02:28 am
my board used to be 8ft x 12ft felt big enough just as a board i think volumes would have crowded it, I've just extended it to 10ft x 12ft feels massive now so might try some on mine. I've climbing on a board with volumes it does add a bit of interest.

Pete

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: Adding volumes to a board?...
October 27, 2011, 02:29:10 pm
my experience is that home made volumes detract something from the board. often they make the holds on them too good, or provide very good heel/toe hooking and so on. they add to the interest but in my opinion they're not worth.
on the other hand, resin volumes, without holds on, are very good but pricey.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#3 Re: Adding volumes to a board?...
October 27, 2011, 03:40:09 pm
Little volumes work well on my board, pyramids about football sized. Create good presses, slopey pinches and ungercuts. Think steeper the board the more useful, my board is about 60deg, much less than 45 and id agree they would be getting in the way.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#4 Re: Adding volumes to a board?...
October 27, 2011, 06:06:23 pm
On home-walls studded with holds volumes are great for training to tolerate the pain of smashing your knees and elbows into fixed objects.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal