UKBouldering.com

New climbing video site... (Read 11531 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
New climbing video site...
May 17, 2011, 07:04:57 pm
Saw that this commercial site was launched today (I think)... looks pretty good at first blush.. nice range of older films/vids too..
TT

http://www.steepedge.com/

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 07:16:11 am
Good luck to FD with the new venture.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 10:19:53 am
 :lol: Looks like FD owes you the money instead tomtom  :P

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 12:31:51 pm
Thanks all.  It's a soft launch this week and well be following up with a campaign once we are comfortable that all is stable.

Props to the Vertebrate Graphics team for the Design and Build.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#4 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 12:41:45 pm
I really like the idea behind this site. I'm curious to see a lot of climbing DVDs, but not enough to actually spend 20 quid on them, so the idea of paying a few quid to rent them seems ideal.

Unfortunately , at the moment there's nothing I haven't seen that i'd like to see. I'll keep checking in though...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#5 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 01:05:41 pm
This looks like a great idea. Would be keen to see Best Forgotten Art as well if it can be acquired.

philo

• forum hero
#6 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 02:10:13 pm
and a surfing section!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 02:16:46 pm
Would be keen to see Best Forgotten Art as well if it can be acquired.

Can always get it direct from the man himself (well worth it , t'is a gem of a film).

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#8 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 02:22:41 pm
It's twenty eleven. VHS? What's one of them? Plus the idea of paying £3 for a rental shared amongst 4 other people in our house is much more appealing than buying for £15 and having to pay it all myself.

Ben, if renting does it have to be streaming or can you download, such as on iplayer? We can only play stuff on our living room TV if we've got it downloaded.

galpinos

• forum hero
#9 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 02:32:38 pm
Ben, if renting does it have to be streaming or can you download, such as on iplayer? We can only play stuff on our living room TV if we've got it downloaded.

You can download rentals, you've then got a time limit in which to watch it, 72 hrs I believe. Plenty of time to get your 3 quids worth!

I'm sure many more films will become available as more and more film makers realise the potential of bith the site and the streaming/download/rental market.

There's some really classic stuff on there!

nik at work

• forum hero
#10 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 02:36:11 pm
Good luck with the venture Ben. The wife and kid are away for a few days next week so I might order a takeaway or two and enjoy some of your products whilst the TV isn't been used to watch Britains Desperate Apprentice Housewives Strictly Got Talent...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#11 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 02:48:39 pm
I'm at work at the moment and answering on my phone so apologies for the brief answer. 

Will - There is loads of info in the FAQs but Rental is via streaming only.  DRM was a nightmare and too costly to provide time or watch# constrained downloads for rental.

If you buy a film you get a DRM free download and you also have a copy permanently available in your film library that you can watch anytime, anywhere.

Great to see this level of interest.  We have loads of films in the pipeline to be added and like Galpinos said above, there are a few film makers waiting to see how it all works and will hopefully see the benefit of being available via SteepEdge.

We're just scratching the surface of our technology platform and have the potential for live broadcasts and other great features in the pipeline. 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 02:56:08 pm
It's twenty eleven. VHS? What's one of them?

I bought the DVD not the VHS from Dawes' site.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 03:06:07 pm
Techy question....I've a PC, but use something other than M$/OSX as my operating system.  I also like to rip my DVDs to MP4 and stick them on my PS3 to watch as thats the media centre I have in my living room.

What hope do I have of being able to view and purchase these items on both my PCs and my PS3?  Basically what is the format that they are made available for download in?  Sounds very much like Quicktime which I can view as both Mplayer and VLC support, although I've no experience of how they handle DRM.

I realise this is likely a small proportion of your potential market but am tempted by the ease of downloading, but if I can't watch them where and when I want there's no point (for me at least).

Certainly not an urgent matter either.

(Also I've not come across itunes for Android as is suggested is possible in the Watching Films FAQ, that could cause some confusion).

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#14 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 03:15:13 pm
Slackers the downloads are DRM free so you can burn to DVD, drag into your preferred media player etc (apart from putting it on Pirate Bay - overlords are watching)

Could you feedback the point about Android via the site please so our team of customer service operators can respond? :P

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 03:35:00 pm
great looking site and great idea good effort

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 03:41:26 pm
Slackers the downloads are DRM free so you can burn to DVD, drag into your preferred media player etc (apart from putting it on Pirate Bay - overlords are watching)

:oops: my mistake, sorry for skim-reading.  All good though  :2thumbsup:

Could you feedback the point about Android via the site please so our team of customer service operators can respond? :P

Will do.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#17 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 06:27:12 pm
sounds like an awesome alternative to the current shit state of free-to-air tv. I will check it out

tomtom

• forum hero
#18 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 07:35:17 pm
It's twenty eleven. VHS? What's one of them? Plus the idea of paying £3 for a rental shared amongst 4 other people in our house is much more appealing than buying for £15 and having to pay it all myself.

If you've got a laptop with an HDMI output just plug it into any modernish telly.. most laptops from 2/3 years to present seem to have one...
T

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
#19 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 11:05:09 pm
Great idea - looks good!

grimer

• forum hero
#20 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 11:16:37 pm
Yay! Thumbs up to Ben and John and Brian and the rest. And Bonners! World legend.

So who are the dragons in that team, and who is Levi Roots?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#21 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 11:30:02 pm
Well, I certainly won't be marketing my latest blockbuster (Lagerland Lost) through that site. I expect to guzzle at least £5 for each eye that gazes upon my work in wonder (that's £20 for four eyed geeks)

I might be able to make a deal with the site owners if they offer enough fried chicken.

£3 seems a good price to rent a film. I did a quick think about the effort involved in downloading/stealing/pirating these films and realised that paying £3 is not a bad alternative to breaking the law and depriving artists of their livelihood.

Is the price of £3 just an accident because the £ sign is on the 3 key on most keyboards and you have employed a fat handed marketing manager?

*edit

£3 is less than a pint of premium lager, but still more than a pint of Easy Rider. £2.50 seems closer to fuck all.

grimer

• forum hero
#22 Re: New climbing video site...
May 18, 2011, 11:52:56 pm
Then why don't you just rent the premium lager?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#23 Re: New climbing video site...
May 19, 2011, 12:01:45 am
They only let you rent premium lager by the tonne and I always end up losing my deposit when I have that much

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#24 Re: New climbing video site...
May 19, 2011, 08:46:09 am
and a surfing section!

Aye, slight flaw there FD.

Otherwise, an ace idea, good luck.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:51:43 am by SA Chris »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal