UKBouldering.com

Ab cramps like a hot knife in my gut (Read 2963 times)

matthew

• menacing presence
Ab cramps like a hot knife in my gut
April 19, 2011, 10:23:27 am
I have been struggling with ongoing cramps which occur just below the ribcage (where the highest of the sixpack muscles should be). They are extremely severe and will stop me running and if it's particularly bad I won't be able to run again without pain for a week or so. Has anyone else experienced this?

I spent years rockclimbing and doing lots of pullups/campus boarding but sort of ignored the core muscles. So I'm wondering is it a muscle imbalance due to tight shoulder muscles?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Matt

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
See a doctor if they're that debilitating.

matthew

• menacing presence
See a doctor if they're that debilitating.

I did. Their response was keep an eye on it and then run less.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
So does this occur only when you're out running?

How long before you go running do you eat?  What do you eat?

Do you get it when say swimming or other forms of exercise?

I've noticed since starting finger-boarding that it actually works the stomach muscles quite a bit too, but if you think there's an imbalance there what have you done to assess, or more importantly address it (e.g. core work), and has it diminished the symptoms (if so keep on doing it as it seems to be working).

matthew

• menacing presence
It occurs whilst running. It's a slow build up and then gets severe. It has occured whilst cycling when pushing myself and usually on the dropbars.

It was painful on Thursday at running club when I was having to work hard and on Sunday I did a triathlon and it was fine until I started running. It started with shoulder tightness and then progressed to stomach cramping (which makes me think it might be due to comparative over-development in the shoulders/back). It took 27minutes to run 5km (usually run just over 4min kms) due to the pain.

Quite careful not to eat before running, my diet is quite good, lots of veg/fruit and wholegrains and rice/pasta etc.

But if you think there's an imbalance there what have you done to assess, or more importantly address it (e.g. core work), and has it diminished the symptoms (if so keep on doing it as it seems to be working).

I have stopped any core exercise this past few months so maybe their is a link there. I'll implement a new routine and see if it improves.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Are you remaining well hydrated as lack of water will often result in the onset of muscles cramps (you're favourite search engine should reveal plenty of information on this).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Might sound like a daft question, but is it not just a stitch?

matthew

• menacing presence
Yep well hydrated and fully liquided up.

It seems too severe for a stitch. Also as I can still feel discomfort long after the activity has stopped like the muscle has tried to contract itself into a tiny tiny knot and is slowly releasing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I used to get really bad stitches in my early teens doing long distance running. Lately I have managed to cure it by not running

webbo

• forum hero
Yep well hydrated and fully liquided up.

It seems too severe for a stitch. Also as I can still feel discomfort long after the activity has stopped like the muscle has tried to contract itself into a tiny tiny knot and is slowly releasing.
I get something like this usually happens when I've been doing a lot of body tension type stuff on steep rock.doesn't happen whilst actually climbing but when i stop to take off my shoes.Also happens after biking usually after I've been battling a head wind.Again it will come on when bending over or a couple of times when I've sneezed.
Feels like part of my abs have got stuck under my ribs.Takes quite abit of stretching for it to relax.
no idea what it is.Osteopath had no idea either.

matthew

• menacing presence
Osteopath had no idea either.

Which is why I've put it to an internet forum before paying for a physio... If it can be solved or remedied by the wisdom of UKB before I have to spend $$$$ on therapy then so much the better.

I'll core excercise it up, lots of stretching and aim to breathe properly whilst running to see if that clears it up.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Yes I wanted to also suggest to concentrate on your breathing a lot. when i used to run one of the key factors for a good session was to quickly get into the rithm, i used to time in- and expiration with my steps: 4 steps of slow in- , 4 steps of slow expiration. forever. sorry for typos, texting from phone.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal