UKBouldering.com

Groin injury (Read 2819 times)

psychomansam

• forum hero
Groin injury
February 25, 2011, 09:37:57 am
Took a sideways lunge for a shot while playing squash, two weeks ago today, and ripped a groin muscle (pectineus maybe). I could do no exercise for the first week. I can now hang on a fingerboard and ride a road bike.

This has fucked over my half term break. Suffice to say I've been less than awesome company. I actually went on a date the first weekend while pissed off with it, in pain, and high on cocodamol. Note to self: Don't do that again.

Was just wondering if anyone has had any experience of similar injuries & has any advice. I'm just trying to rest it, but I inevitably tweak it by mistake occasionally while mooching about. I started off with ibu gel for a couple days, but was lazy and didn't ice it.

p.s. you have permission to laugh

:furious:

Three Nine

• forum hero
#1 Re: Groin injury
February 25, 2011, 10:02:35 am
i've had a couple of groin tweaks. my advice is not to fret. they're big muscles with good blood supply etc. I rehabed mine by climbing on a board - low feet and jumping etc. unless you've done something proper gnarly it should clear up much faster than if you'd done a pulley or something.

ukclimber101

#2 Re: Groin injury
April 23, 2011, 06:33:39 pm
I've got a grooin ingury at the minute, but from running, not climbing, climbing doesnt seem to affect it, (apart from when i have a big fall and land arse over face and headbut it) the Doc. just told me to rest it, and not do anything to strain it, but it could take upto a YEAR! (F**K OFF YOUR KIDDING RIGHT?! :wall: ) to heal. looks like ill have to move to a fat man lazy sport, maybe ill join my dad in a spot of tackle bashing.  :fishing: -.-

psychomansam

• forum hero
#3 Re: Groin injury
April 23, 2011, 07:03:45 pm
Well mine is improving, but slowly. I'm at 9 or 10 weeks now and have been climbing for a few weeks, just can't do high left leg moves/inward pulls with left leg. Def can't run or play squash but tempted to try some biking trails. Walking is fine now although I have to be careful on descents. Leg slip rips it nicely as you instinctively tense it. Still considering physio or some such, not sure. If i get a chance to go for my back will mention my groin. Fuck's sake eh.  :shit:

On a positive note, have managed to get out doing some awesome climbing this week.

ukclimber101

#4 Re: Groin injury
April 24, 2011, 11:38:27 am
Well mine is improving, but slowly. I'm at 9 or 10 weeks now and have been climbing for a few weeks, just can't do high left leg moves/inward pulls with left leg. Def can't run or play squash but tempted to try some biking trails. Walking is fine now although I have to be careful on descents. Leg slip rips it nicely as you instinctively tense it. Still considering physio or some such, not sure. If i get a chance to go for my back will mention my groin. Fuck's sake eh.  :shit:

On a positive note, have managed to get out doing some awesome climbing this week.

Ah well its good to see your back out at the crags, even if you cant do them killer high heel hooks :P yeah, biking might be okay, as its not such an impacting movement unlike running and the likes. yeah mine sill plays up on walks over 10miles  :( yeah physio might be a good idea, im looking into going, but a month waiting list..  :yawn:

Ah good, its been beautiful weather for it no?

psychomansam

• forum hero
#5 Re: Groin injury
April 24, 2011, 01:13:14 pm
Has been good weather for it, good few days trad this week. It's only bouldering that seems intense enough to hurt it n tho that hasn't stopped me, I've had to give up on a few problems when i realised they needed work from the left leg.

My concern about offroad biking is that the lateral movements/corrections might give trouble but may give it a go next weekend anyway. Have found I can cave alright too, just have to be careful how I prussik.

As far as physio goes, I presume the waiting list is for the NHS? If so I'm impressed if you can find anyone interested enough to even look at it. Most will simply tell you to rest. If it's for private treatment (which generally seems to be the only option)  then find someone who can take you sooner. Saying that I've one friend who said physio didn't help her groin tear but an acupuncturist sorted it right out

ukclimber101

#6 Re: Groin injury
April 24, 2011, 05:49:09 pm
ah that's good, im impressed, trad scares the hell outt'a me! i have a bouldering wall im my garage, so luckily i was able to take it easy, 10 mins at a time every few days, until it felt okay. now i can go a few hours without it hurting :D

Yeah that may be a problem, but there will only be one way to find out, i have found biking hurts me too much, but everyone to they're own i guess :) do you prussik off your leg loop? or do you do it all off your belay loop and just extend your rappelling device with a sling? i find its prussiking off the leg loop that kills me :P

Yeah its for the NHS, so i am impressed its not at least a years waiting :Pi have been to see 2 doctors, and they told me to rest.. but maybe im being foolish thinking physio will be any different?
Aah, acupuncture.. dont like the sound of having my groin dressed as a hedgehog for the day :P

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal