UKBouldering.com

a secondary shoe? (Read 6467 times)

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
a secondary shoe?
March 28, 2011, 06:12:04 pm
so i ve got a pair of teams that are a bit too small and are great on steeper stuff, but on anything even vaguely close to vertical and its like, well i tried to think of a good metaphor to describe it but i couldnt, so basically theyre shit. so what i need is another pair of somethings, something good with slabby, less steep stuff to compensate...

any suggestions?

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#1 Re: a secondary shoe?
March 28, 2011, 07:56:26 pm
Something that fits and isn't down turned.

I have pair a uber small Dragons and a pair of slightly more comfortable Anasazis.

Steve Crowe

• menacing presence
  • Using knees since 1974
    • www.climbonline.co.uk
#2 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 15, 2011, 09:18:18 am
The Scarpa Instinct could be what you are looking for, I really rate mine. Superb all round slipper.

http://www.wildtrak.com/product.asp?id=3548

andy_e

• forum hero
#3 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 15, 2011, 11:51:15 am
I doubt it, he wants shoes that aren't for steep stuff and those are too downturned. Try Evolv Pontas of 5.10 Anasazis, they fit the bill for edging/smearing.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 15, 2011, 11:55:47 am
Something that fits and isn't down turned.

I have pair a uber small Dragons and a pair of slightly more comfortable Anasazis.

snap. (except my dragons are not uber small)

Its a combo that works for pretty much everything I try....

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#5 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 15, 2011, 12:37:27 pm
...what Andi and T2 said.

I supplement the Dragon / Sazi Velcro combo with a pair of Verdes, but now my Velcros are nice and comfy I tend to use them more than the laceups.

fried

• forum hero
#6 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 15, 2011, 01:03:30 pm
Being narrow footed and weak, I Have a pair of vertes and a pair of blancos. I'd love to have some anasazi velcros, but no matter how often I try them, they simply don't fit.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#7 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 15, 2011, 01:35:10 pm
Being narrow footed and weak, I Have a pair of vertes and a pair of blancos. I'd love to have some anasazi velcros, but no matter how often I try them, they simply don't fit.

try evolv pontas, narrower? i had that problem with the velcros

joe dobson

• addict
#8 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 16, 2011, 06:55:49 pm
Another option would be Katana's, i have a pair of lace ups and the Muira's for my downturned. Although there nearly ending there life and will most likely replace with Blackwings or similar

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#9 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 20, 2011, 10:36:11 pm

Try the Moccasyms.

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 21, 2011, 01:39:34 am
the problem is with slippers, they're great for about a minute (unless you need a heel hook), then they're too baggy.

In no particular order:

Dragons - steep (although I ended up favouring my blanco's on everything bar the steepest of routes)
Verde - trad, general (comfy-sized)
Blanco's - limestone (surprisingly good on grit despite their stiffness)
'sazi velcro's - general boulderising (nice and stiff to start with and then just as they're on their way out, the best smearing boot in existence appears!)

Worryingly that lot would now cost you upwards of £400.

I'd be psyched ('syked') out of my mind for the Quantums if they had an ounce of stiffness, structure or backbone to them...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#11 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 21, 2011, 12:30:38 pm

Worryingly that lot would now cost you upwards of £400.

Indeed - I realised in Font that I fastidiously keep an eye on my camera (approx £350 worth) but will happily leave a bag with 3 pairs of 5:10s (c. £330 in today's money) in it lying about out of sight for hours on end...

That said the smell of my climbing shoes probably acts as a suitable deterrent to any would-be footwear theives.

fried

• forum hero
#12 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 21, 2011, 02:09:43 pm

That said the smell of my climbing shoes probably acts as a suitable deterrent to any would-be footwear theives.

I actually retched the other day at the foul odour that came out of my verdes when I got them out of my bag. I also quite happily leave them lying around, I couldn't imagine anyone would go near them, even if they are in that perfect state just before they fall apart.

I have a new pair of Blancos and I find they hurt under my heel somewhere, anyone know if this goes after wearing in?

chummer

• forum abuser
#13 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 21, 2011, 02:26:43 pm
Verds soften up to much in my opinion, great for smeary slabs, shit for vertical edging.

Another vote for Evolv Pontas velcro. My Pontas have held up well, nice and precise, comfy, and seem to hold their edge well and they're a good price. I got mine about a size down from my normal shoes size.

Steve Crowe

• menacing presence
  • Using knees since 1974
    • www.climbonline.co.uk
#14 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 28, 2011, 10:28:47 am
I doubt it, he wants shoes that aren't for steep stuff and those are too downturned. Try Evolv Pontas of 5.10 Anasazis, they fit the bill for edging/smearing.

They don't feel down turned to me but they are the best shoes I have worn in many years! (P.S. This is not an advert just my opinion.)

stokesy

• regular
#15 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 29, 2011, 06:56:10 pm
Similar to the o.p I'm after a second shoe to replace a pair of 5:10 galileos (too stiff) and a pair of blancos (holed toe), any thoughts? I'm tempted by the moccs for cheapness/softness, the £100+ price tag on the lace ups/velcros is putting me off a pair of those. What are the pontas like compared to 5:10's?

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#16 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 30, 2011, 08:20:50 am

I actually retched the other day at the foul odour that came out of my verdes when I got them out of my bag. I also quite happily leave them lying around, I couldn't imagine anyone would go near them, even if they are in that perfect state just before they fall apart.

I have a new pair of Blancos and I find they hurt under my heel somewhere, anyone know if this goes after wearing in?

Stick them in a washing machine on a warm wash ....... Not only does this get rid off the smell it also cleans all the chalk and other bits of random detritus out of the soles .......

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#17 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 30, 2011, 08:47:15 am
Similar to the o.p I'm after a second shoe to replace a pair of 5:10 galileos (too stiff) and a pair of blancos (holed toe), any thoughts? I'm tempted by the moccs for cheapness/softness, the £100+ price tag on the lace ups/velcros is putting me off a pair of those. What are the pontas like compared to 5:10's?

I bought the Pontas Velcros in a fairly large size (-1 from street shoe) so they're pretty comfy. Haven't been all that impressed with them so far indoors and on slippy dolerite.

BUT, was using them the other weekend in Reiff on the sandstone and found them great - good for smearing and coped ok pebble-dancing too. I think they're too soft for anything really edgey. Apparently the lace-up version is better for edgey stuff. So far they've lasted about 6 months of indoor use, and I've been described as a drunk elephant due to my footwork...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#18 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 30, 2011, 12:00:19 pm
I've got a long narrow foot, with a shagged big toe (frost bite) and I've been through several pairs over the past year. What with the toe, I just can't do the screaming tight thing anymore. Best all rounder and the pair I wear most are the Anizazi's. Got long, flappy, excess velcro hangin out all over but dosen't seem to bother me much. Maybe I'd benefit from a stiffer shoe on steeper problems; but if you can't seen the rock cos' your eyes are watering from the pain in your feet, what's the point? :coffee:

Willriseley

• player
  • idiot child
#19 Re: a secondary shoe?
April 30, 2011, 09:26:11 pm
Currently have solutions as my steep shoe but recently bought a pair of instinct slippes and tere awesome for everything else

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal