UKBouldering.com

Spanked rubberware (Read 2079 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Spanked rubberware
April 27, 2011, 07:18:02 am
I tried my new pair of Miuras out at Rubicon on Friday. Didn't do a lot - just the sub 7A problems. I was climbing in control and don't remember sketching/flailing on anything (I was looking after my fingers).

This is what happened

Is this to be expected from La Sportiva's rubber? I haven't used Sportivas this century, but don't remember anyone else complaining.

I might weigh a few kilos more than the average limestone abuser, but haven't had problems with Boosters or Anasazi Velcros.

Have I been using a Ferrari to tow a caravan and am getting what I deserve?

Have I caught Shoe Leprosy?

Worth taking back to Go Outdoors? I got them in the half price sale, so might only get a refund instead of a replacement pair and I do like their comfort to performance ratio.

Any thoughts?

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#1 Re: Spanked rubberware
April 27, 2011, 07:33:20 am
I'd take them back; boots shouldn't do that, and it's probably because the rubber has perished.

Something very similar happened to me way back when Boreal brought out new rubber for the first time. I was trying to climb marrowbone jelly at the time and I thought my foot had skidded off the pebble, only to find a perfect square chunk of rubber missing from the sole. I took those back...

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#2 Re: Spanked rubberware
April 27, 2011, 08:30:50 am
 :agree: ...... I had the same problem with a pair of Mad Rock Frenzies , strangely enough also bought from Go Outdoors ...... The manager was very hesitant about returning them , claiming that 'that's what climbing did to rubber ' , but after I insisted  sent them off anyway ...... Mad Rock replaced the shoes and wrote me a letter saying that their  test's had found  the soles to be substandard ......

webbo

• forum hero
#3 Re: Spanked rubberware
April 27, 2011, 08:44:53 am
My local wall Rockcity had a problem like that with a batch of red chillies.You could stick your thumb nail in the rubber and it would leave a permanant dint.
They sent them all back.
I've been wearing Sportivas now for several years and I haven't had a problem like that.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Spanked rubberware
April 27, 2011, 09:03:33 am
I'd carry on climbing in them for another month or two to get some mileage before sending them back. ;) but remember to leave your name as mr StarfishLager when returning them just in case they read ukb... See what I've done there.. Clever huh! Eh!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal