UKBouldering.com

Air France = Thieving barstewards (Read 12030 times)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 26, 2011, 05:15:54 pm
Just been stung by Air France (at CDG) for checking in a pad that exceeded their maximum measurements. Height + width + depth apparently can't exceed 158cm.

Strange that I had no problem flying out from Manc with the pad last week, or either way back in the autumn.

70 fucking euros.

Pad is a Flashed Ronin, which is fairly big but is by no means a monster.

Have flown with Ryaniar, Jet2 etc with the Ronin in the past with no problems.

Nick B

• addict
#1 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 26, 2011, 06:20:46 pm
I got done over by BA once, who refused to class one of those tiny yellow Franklin pads as sporting equipment. Had to pay about £70 as well. Funny how they're fine letting some millionaire on with his ridiculously weighty golf clubs, but not some kid who has no money with a bit of foam.

mikester

• regular
#2 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 26, 2011, 07:10:00 pm
Yep, they're all at it the scumbags. Lufthansa tried to charge us 150 euros for a bike. Each way! And we had two bikes. So 600 euros for a couple of bikes when the flights cost only £100 each. Unbefuckinglievable.

Bit worried about flying transatlantic next month because of possible charges for taking a pad. Not sure whether to chance it or maybe pay a bit to hopefully class the pad as sporting equipment, even though it exceed the max. dimensions.

Scumbags.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#3 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 27, 2011, 10:41:57 pm
Shirley there might be some value in a UKB collective effort to get at least one airline to recognise pads as sporting equipment?

It would be nothing but good publicity for the airline.

Not sure how we start it.

Maybe emails from interested individuals with links to relevant forum threads/articles?

kilgore1080

• player
  • Hashi Tensai!
#4 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 27, 2011, 10:57:31 pm
Shirley there might be some value in a UKB collective effort to get at least one airline to recognise pads as sporting equipment?

It would be nothing but good publicity for the airline.

Not sure how we start it.

Maybe emails from interested individuals with links to relevant forum threads/articles?

Virgin Atlantic confirmed with me that my pad would definitely be classified as sporting equipment for my upcoming yomp to Japan. Though now I think about it I'd better see if I can get that in writing just in case!! I'll ask them about getting their policy updated too and keep you lot informed.

With that in mind does anyone know what dimensions pads go up to? I've got a DMM Highball but I know its not the biggest pad out there, I'd like to be able to pass on correct dimensions if they ask how big pads go to.

Admittedly this probably won't help a lot of people who're off to Font etc but hey its a start.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 11:03:50 pm by kilgore1080 »

rodma

• forum hero
#5 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 28, 2011, 01:01:55 pm
Just been stung by Air France (at CDG) for checking in a pad that exceeded their maximum measurements. Height + width + depth apparently can't exceed 158cm.

Strange that I had no problem flying out from Manc with the pad last week, or either way back in the autumn.

70 fucking euros.

Pad is a Flashed Ronin, which is fairly big but is by no means a monster.

Have flown with Ryaniar, Jet2 etc with the Ronin in the past with no problems.

Hey Graeme

I posted something on here about this last year.

We flew edi-cdg with air france, with no problem checking in our Franklin Mondo as standard hold luggage, albeit outsized luggage. On the way back we were told that since air france had moved into their swanky new part of the terminal, they should be charging us 200 euros iirc, since it was just too big to fit in their cage-trolley thing, so they would have to pay for an actual airport employee to carry it from the check in desk to the plane. They said that they would let us off just this once, but that this was their new standard policy, so we shouldn't carry a pad next time.

When we got home we checked this out on their website and there was no information at all. mrs rodma emailed them for clarification, but we got no response.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#6 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 28, 2011, 01:21:52 pm
mrs rodma emailed them for clarification, but we got no response.

strange that, can't believe for once these airlines wont ever get back to economy customers/cattle

canadiankate

• Canadiankate
#7 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 28, 2011, 01:29:17 pm
Hey,

we had a similar experience flying from Manc to Vancouver with a sport rack. went through fine as 'sports equipment' in Manchester, but flying back from Canada we were stung with a $300 fine. They didn't consider the rack as sports equipment, even through we'd clarified it through Thomas Cook. After arguing it down to $170; we were told that manchester airport is S***t and always lets stuff go through that should't; and lots of other vitriol aimed at Manchester Airport.

Apparenlty its not the actual travel company's fault (we were flying with Thomas Cook chartered through canadianaffair) but the company running the airport who determine the weight limits and scales.

Either which way - it was a really sucky way to end the holiday.

KAte

rodma

• forum hero
#8 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 28, 2011, 01:36:16 pm
mrs rodma emailed them for clarification, but we got no response.

strange that, can't believe for once these airlines wont ever get back to economy customers/cattle

True, but it would have be nice to know for next time

since this fee applies to CDG only as far as I'm aware, they are less likely to have something on their website. We were told at the airport that if the pad had been smaller, then we wouldn't have been charged at all, but graeme's tale contradicts this. The 200 odd euro fee that we would have been hit with is basically the cost of two return flights. I can imagine if enough people were caught out by this, there would be a nice stockpile of pads abandoned at CDG.

kilgore1080

• player
  • Hashi Tensai!
#9 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 28, 2011, 02:22:58 pm
Fired off an email to Virgin Atlantic, lets see what they come back with!
I specified the issue around mats as I'm taking mine but I also mentioned climbing equipment in general but I'm by no means the best person to represent or advise on what should come under that heading.

Reckon it'd be a good plan to point them and the BMC at each other if they want specifics?  :unsure: :shrug: :-\

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

gme

• forum hero
#11 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 28, 2011, 05:36:45 pm
This issue is an even bigger pain the the arse for surfers and Air France are one of the worse offenders, $200 for your board regardless of how heavy it is or the distance you travel.  BA have now banned boards all together despite a lot of pressure from surfers. ( i think they relented on this but with stipulations that mean most boards still cant be carried).

The big long haulers other than BA seem fine and you can take boards as one piece of your normal lugage the smaller company's charge heavily. Ryan air charge per board and i know people who have been made to open up bags to prove they have paid for all of the boards in the bags.

Heres a link showing the charges for boards, i suspect the same companies will charge for pads.

http://www.surfline.com/travel/boardbag_charges.cfm?id=15425

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 28, 2011, 05:41:13 pm
Maybe a bit leftfield, but why not get one of those 120l Kit bags like the North Face ones (I have a ME one I got cheapish at cotswold a few years back - albeit 'only' 80l) take the foam out of the pads and fold/scrunch/twist it into the kit bag, then fold up the outer and pack?? At least then it looks like a bag? Not sure what harm it may do to the foam, but I suspect it would survive...

Cheapish kit bag c.£40...?

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#13 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 28, 2011, 06:07:28 pm
Just measured a BD Drop Zone which is not the biggest pad in the world and it comes in at over 158cm

There is nothing on the AF website about size restrictions for the 1st bag - the 158cm total is only mentioned for subsequent bags. A letter to AF seems in order.

I hope this is just a one off and other air lines don't start pissing around like this. Lufthansa seem ok - flew last month with a ski bag as my one bag and no problems - was even 3kg over weight on the way home.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#14 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 28, 2011, 06:18:09 pm
i think they relented on this but with stipulations that mean most boards still cant be carried

6 1/4" long is now the limit. Don't think I will ever ride a board that small. Discriminated agains for being too big, and never get extra legroom either.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#15 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 28, 2011, 06:25:35 pm
was even 3kg over weight on the way home.

more wine?!

mikester

• regular
#16 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 28, 2011, 06:29:41 pm
Maybe a bit leftfield, but why not get one of those 120l Kit bags like the North Face ones (I have a ME one I got cheapish at cotswold a few years back - albeit 'only' 80l) take the foam out of the pads and fold/scrunch/twist it into the kit bag, then fold up the outer and pack?? At least then it looks like a bag? Not sure what harm it may do to the foam, but I suspect it would survive...

Cheapish kit bag c.£40...?

I've heard about de-foaming mats before, not sure where. Other option is to take a small mat which is ok size, albeit still a second piece of 'normal' luggage to be charged the going rate.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#17 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 28, 2011, 08:16:16 pm

more wine?!

Olive oil actually  :whistle:

Paul B

• forum hero
#18 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 28, 2011, 08:51:01 pm
I've heard about de-foaming mats before, not sure where.

This is what I've done in the past but it was with a Large Metoluis which was fairly old and not a ronin that packs a bit differently?

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#19 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 29, 2011, 07:42:42 am

more wine?!

Olive oil actually  :whistle:

was that for oiling up sam's arms

rodma

• forum hero
#20 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 29, 2011, 08:30:27 am
6 1/4" long is now the limit. Don't think I will ever ride a board that small. Discriminated agains for being too big, and never get extra legroom either.

Bit of a Spinal Tap moment there Chris  :)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#21 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 29, 2011, 09:03:44 am
Virgin Atlantic (Los Angeles) didn't blink at a portaledge in a 7' x 1' x 1' box.  I hadn't pre-arranged anything but they seemed convinced by the picture in Alpinist 31 ...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#22 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 29, 2011, 01:26:56 pm
Not so useful for surfboards but a useful tip for climbing gear or other 'sports' stuff is get hold of a cheap golf travel bag, stuff it full of your rack, ropes, camping gear etc, seal it with zip ties and you can't even open it if they ask to prove its clubs as of course you won't have any sharp objects like scissors in your hand luggage.  ;)

Things could have changed but this worked a treat for us on Canadian Affair a few years back. They had a policy of free carriage for 'sports' equipment. They happily loaded all our excess baggage for free whilst charging the guy next to us with a standard but heavy suitcase. It's a trick the kitesurfers have pulled for years to such an extent that 'Best', one kitesurf gear manufacturer makes a 'Best Golf' branded bag for exactly this purpose.

Anyone invented a foldable/splitty surfboard?  ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
#23 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 30, 2011, 09:46:09 am

Bit of a Spinal Tap moment there Chris  :)

d'oh.

kilgore1080

• player
  • Hashi Tensai!
#24 Re: Air France = Thieving barstewards
March 31, 2011, 03:58:42 pm
Fired off an email to Virgin Atlantic, lets see what they come back with!
I specified the issue around mats as I'm taking mine but I also mentioned climbing equipment in general but I'm by no means the best person to represent or advise on what should come under that heading.

Reckon it'd be a good plan to point them and the BMC at each other if they want specifics?  :unsure: :shrug: :-\

Received bullshit answer from Virgin,

"...the ultimate decision will be made by the check in staff on the day of departure. I'm sorry that I cannot be more precise on this occasion..."

:wall:  :worms: but I will not go away and be quiet, you will explain yourselves or I will strike down upon thee blah blah blah!!!!  >:(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal