UKBouldering.com

'Consumed' - some climbers (Read 18240 times)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#75 'Consumed' - some climbers
August 25, 2004, 11:07:15 am
why are they done like this? some can play n some can't, where they sold telling people of these limitations?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#76 'Consumed' - some climbers
August 25, 2004, 11:21:08 am
Dan did tell me when I bought mine that it would not play on a computer.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#77 'Consumed' - some climbers
August 25, 2004, 11:25:05 am
It was deliberate that some wouldn't play on PCs - luckily I got a PC compatible one.

Like I say, DVD Decryptor will probably read them all, or you'll certainly find some sort of utility that can. You should be able to make backups of stuff you've bought legit imho.

Although dvdXcopy has been forced to shut down by the muthafucka MPAA, etc, you'll still find plenty of copies flying about p2p. That's a very easy to use utility for doing backups.

dave

#78 'Consumed' - some climbers
August 25, 2004, 11:25:16 am
think i also got told that come to think of it.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#79 'Consumed' - some climbers
August 25, 2004, 11:25:37 am
was there any point to the dvd being done like this? i don't understand :?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#80 'Consumed' - some climbers
August 25, 2004, 11:27:41 am
Well...

Firstly Huffy said that the copy I bought wasn't a computer-compatible copy, BUT it worked perfectly on my PC. Maybe though that's why it's deteriorated.

Secondly in a moment of panic I did just copy the files from the DVD straight over to my PC, but that's quite limited i.e. couldn't get the menu nor the full shizznaz with the music soundtrack, only the commentary version in 3 parts. And since then for some reason I deleted all those files.

Thirdly, the gist I got from my friend was that his whizzkids thought the DVD had deteriorated enough that they couldn't actually burn a copy of it (that was the plan, to get a deeper-burnt copy).

I have another friend with an original so perhaps could borrow that and try to copy it but I'm wary of fucking his copy up. I think I will PM Dan and Huffy though...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#81 'Consumed' - some climbers
August 25, 2004, 11:28:12 am
I presume it was to stop pirating. But as we all know, nowt can stop pirating anyway, so yeah, it probably was pointless.

dave

#82 'Consumed' - some climbers
August 25, 2004, 11:31:27 am
playing it on a PC shoudln't fuck it up. CDs or DVDs should only get fucked up through either scratches on either face, or if the disc itself is faulty, not sealed properly or something - this can happen. i bought a box of 20 verbatim writable CDs last year and none of them would even read as blank let alone write on any computer i tried them with. i kept the receipt though.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#83 'Consumed' - some climbers
August 25, 2004, 11:34:37 am
Another good one which I use a lot is DvdFab. It'll copy any DVD retaining all the menus / soundtracks / etc and will split it over two discs if it's a dual layer original.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#84 'Consumed' - some climbers
August 25, 2004, 12:00:23 pm
ahh, ok. i was reading it like, some you could play only on dvd n some you could play only on pc. ie i thought whats the point of buying a dvd that won't play on your dvd. all's a bit clearer now. as is the fact that i'm a tool :D

doc

#85 consumend
August 27, 2004, 06:24:48 am
sorry about all the problems, it all origionates from the poor authouring software i used and the fact i didnt know what i was doing when encoding the files, i think i would have been better on a mac with final cut but i went with pc's instead, although now i think i have cracked alot of the problems, but i am still not happy with adobe encore. maybe also the dvds are degrading, i read an article in computer video sometime ago about dvd lifespan, i will send you another dvd fiend, ( i only have a few left and i only planned to make 70 , so wiped my hard drive )

simes

• stalker
    • http://www.simes303.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm
#86 Re: 'Consumed' - some climbers
May 22, 2007, 01:22:13 pm
Quote from: Bubba
Quote from: RopeBoy
Anyone know what the route is that Tom solo's in the hidden extra's? Looks like Yorkshire...

The commentary adds a whole new dimension to the dvd.

Any chance the first video could be put onto dvd too?

I'm pretty sure that's from the first video - I may be wrong here but I think it's an old Mark Leach route at Millstone, "The Bold and the Beautiful"?

The Weather Report footage with the hideous fall is also from the first video, though the footage of the rescue is new.

The Bad and the Beautiful.

The Bad and the Beautiful is THE best route ive ever done. Check it out its ace!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal