UKBouldering.com

About the chipping of Dreamtime (Read 11298 times)

Björn

About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 07:24:36 am

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 07:33:15 am
Thanks Björn

"One of the big problems can be the steel brush some people use to clean even when they try something that has already been climbed. Some must have used more than just a brush... "

Much more than a brush - it's granite, so it doesn't sound like an "overbrushing" like we get so often on grit.

Once again the disgrace that is chipping raises it's ugly head. What is the point? I've tried to put myself into the minds of people who do this, but surely nobody is stupid enough to think they've done a problem properly if they've downgraded it with a brush or chisel?

dave

#2 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 08:47:51 am
didn't malc say it deffinetley hadn't been chipped though?

we mustn't forget that holds can improve through "organic" means, like crystela crumbling off, holds snapping etc.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 08:51:30 am
Was talkin about this t'other day, why do people feel the need to wire brush clean holds?
Perhaps they feel that improving them adds to the quality of the problem. Could be indoor climbers who don't know any better- I think climbing walls should play a bigger part in educating their customers that wire brushing clean holds and chipping is not acceptable
And there is also the type of person who knows exactly what they're doing to the rock and should have they're fingers broken with a large hammer IMO

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 08:55:14 am
Quote from: "dave"
didn't malc say it deffinetley hadn't been chipped though?

The article states that they had consulted him. Who knows - maybe he can put the record straight next time he visits the forum?

dave

#5 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 08:55:57 am
one of the problems is that everyone who uses a wiebrush belives they are doing so carefully. No-one actually belives they are doing damage, but quite clearly some are.

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/forceit
#6 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 09:01:44 am
Its a bit of a weird one this.
If you think about it a place as publicised as Cresciano will be getting nuff traffic, as much as any other bouldering venue at the moment so is it not concievable that new holds will be found if enough keen eyes get to look at the problem?
I dunno, from climbing in Switzerland it seems that many of the classic hard lines are no longer as hard cos new sequences have been found. We found and cleaned a new hold on an 8a which made it 7b+...we didn't chip or use wire brushes, jus used an old faithful oral b plaque remover!

What do you think :?:

Huffy

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 09:08:10 am
Unearthing new holds is cool, even if it changes the problem completely, as is general wear due to the passage of boulderers.

Doubtless, some holds do improve through repeated use, but it's hard to see how holds change greatly over a short timescale at a venue with a very hard type of rock.

But then, I've never even been there, so may be talking from my sunshine-hole   :D

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#8 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 09:19:28 am
I specifically asked Malc last week about the rumours of chipped holds on Dreamtime and he was certain it was no different from when he first went on it. He mentioned a new hold near the start that had been brushed, but he said he didn't use it and he reckoned it didn't make the problem any easier.

On a general note I do think we should sack wire brushes off (certainly for existing problems) and try CJD's soon-to-be-patented cotton scrubbing method. :)

dave

#9 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 09:24:40 am
mebby CJD can sell the idea to prana/metolius, then they can import a load of cotton rags, sew a logo on and sell them for £40 a throw.

What am I saying, hell, I'll take that business venture!
dollar dollar bill y'all!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 09:33:47 am
Quote from: "Pantontino"
I specifically asked Malc last week about the rumours of chipped holds on Dreamtime and he was certain it was no different from when he first went on it. He mentioned a new hold near the start that had been brushed, but he said he didn't use it and he reckoned it didn't make the problem any easier.

The usual crossed wires then  :roll:

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#11 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 09:35:14 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
Quote from: "Pantontino"

The usual crossed wires then  :roll:

Cant 8a.nu get owt right?! Did they report Malc saying it was definately chipped first?

dave

#12 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 11:41:49 am
here we go - the mentalists are on the case now i expect:
 :roll:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=74204

Björn

#13 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 12:48:13 pm
As far as I know Malc said that there was a new hold at the start,but that it didn't really matter as almost no one used it anyway. According to Malc nothing else has changed since he tried the problem the first time.
On the other hand, Toni Lamrpecht says that there's at least one move that he couldn't do at all before, which he now, due to the improved holds, can do in his sneakers...

dave

#14 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 12:53:38 pm
and theres alsolutley no chance that he's just got stronger, or its better conditions or anything like that? i think its very difficult to rule things like that out.

Björn

#15 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 12:58:39 pm
Well, he does say the holds are "very much better". He's also taken pictures of the new and improved holds and will try to compare them to what they look like in old pictures.
You can read Malc's comment in 8a.nu's old forum.

ian h

• forum abuser
#16 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 02:20:24 pm
would have thought that if 1 hold has been brushed/improved then others may also have been.

makes me wonder though the sort of climbers trying that problem really ought to know better. it is a world apart from some newbie fucking up a few easy problems somewhere.

ian h

• forum abuser
#17 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 02:21:53 pm
aaarrrghhhh some hideous minger has invaded my avatar

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#18 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 02:28:12 pm
Quote from: "ian h"
aaarrrghhhh some hideous minger has invaded my avatar

I was wondering why you chose a huge munter, figured it must be some weird southern fetish shit.

dave

#19 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 02:30:41 pm
ian you need to get that female picture (chloe jones?) back, or a suitable replacment.

ian h

• forum abuser
#20 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 02:35:18 pm
cool thank fuck thats gone

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
#21 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 02:42:23 pm
What was the picture? I missed it !!

Omega

• player
    • Powerband
#22 About the chipping of Dreamtime
February 17, 2004, 04:48:03 pm
maybe dreamtime just isn't 8c?  

naturally when a hard problem sees a lot of repeats its grade is questioned.  which might leave the first ascentionist thinking: hmmm, wonder if they chipped some holds cos i sure found it pretty darn hard.

curly ben

• addict
#23 About the chipping of Dreamtime
March 16, 2004, 08:24:00 am
:cry:  :?:  Im very confused? Is Monsieur Smith being blamed for the so called chipping of dreamtime? are other british boulderers involved. surly such high profile climbers eg video magazine shots wouldn,t put their reputations on the line. Are euro dudues unhappy cause everyone climbs and downgrades their problems?  Why did Smith downgrade it? seems like causing more fuss by saying oh your problem was not that hard, when it obviously was pretty difficult. At the top level how about people dont question others grades but invite them to climb their own problems eg Fred Nicole on a "monks life". Is it all about being the best?

dave

#24 About the chipping of Dreamtime
March 16, 2004, 09:17:19 am
Quote from: "curly ben"
:cry:  :?:  Im very confused? Is Monsieur Smith being blamed for the so called chipping of dreamtime?

nothing i've read has suggested that.

Quote from: "curly ben"
At the top level how about people dont question others grades but invite them to climb their own problems.

thats just a stupid idea. grades need to be questioned all the time, thats how the whole thing works. if no one at the top-end questioned grades then we'd be looking at huge grade inflation, E57, font 11b etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal