UKBouldering.com

CORE me up (Read 27758 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#75 Re: CORE me up
March 01, 2011, 12:35:59 pm
As you will have gathered, I am not an unreserved advocate of 'core stability' exercises.  I was recently discussing the rise and fall of the fashion for core stability with a former student who is now a highly experienced sports physiotherapist.  She was saying she now sees many patients who are 'over stable' and need to move more rather than less.    You and others are interested in increasing stability to increase performance.  Have you watched how Adam Ondra moves?  A jellyfish comes to mind...

From the paper: Conclusion: Weak trunk muscles, weak abdominals and imbalances between trunk muscles groups are not a pathology just a normal variation. The division of the trunk into core and global muscle system is a reductionist fantasy  ;D , which serves only to promote CS (Core stability). Weak or dysfunctional abdominal muscles will not lead to back pain. Tensing the trunk muscles is unlikely to provide any protection against back pain or reduce the recurrence of back pain. Core stability exercises are no more effective than, and will not prevent injury more than, any other forms of exercise. Core stability exercises are no better than other forms of exercise in reducing chronic lower back pain. Any therapeutic influence is related to the exercise effects rather than CS issues. There may be potential danger of damaging the spine with continuous tensing of the trunk muscles during daily and sports activities. Patients who have been trained to use complex abdominal hollowing and bracing manoeuvres should be discouraged from using them.

It's like fucking snakes and ladders. You think you are getting somewhere then suddenly find you are back at the start again.  :wall:
Even if it hasn't helped with the lower back problems hopefully the extra core musclage will help with the climbing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#77 Re: CORE me up
March 01, 2011, 01:28:37 pm
It's like fucking snakes and ladders. You think you are getting somewhere then suddenly find you are back at the start again.  :wall:

Perhaps this will help...

John P. A. Ioannidis (2005) Why Most Published Research Findings Are False PLoS Medicine 2(8 ) : e124

..but there is hope...

Ramal Moonesinghe, Muin J. Khoury, A. Cecile J. W. Janssens (2007) Most Published Research Findings Are False—But a Little Replication Goes a Long Way PLoS Medicine 4(2) : e28

'The myth of core stability' article is only one person's view but a counterbalance to some of the over-enthusiasm about the subject. 

Slackline's point is well-made.  Much of the reason for the enthusiasm for core stability as a treatment (and I was a proponent) was based on  findings from one small research group.  The views of this group are now being challenged as other researchers fail to replicate their findings.

My research suggests any exercise tends to helps back pain and it doesn't much matter what you do.  In fact simple exercises and being told to get on with life (I paraphrase) results in fewer return visits to the doctor and less NHS cost than doing more specific exercise with their implied cure.  Many other studies have similar findings.   Even climbing helps!   By all means address your posterior sling but you could probably just go for a walk and it would be as helpful.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#78 Re: CORE me up
March 01, 2011, 01:36:29 pm
In fact simple exercises and being told to get on with life (I paraphrase) results in fewer return visits to the doctor and less NHS cost than doing more specific exercise with their implied cure.

This is now being dressed up as "Mindfulness" and seems to be a bit of a hot subject in medical research as I've seen quite a few people wishing to use this at present (one current grant application in process I'm involved in is using "Mindfulness" to help people who suffer from diabetic neuropathy).

Personally I prefer your paraphrase of this "treatment strategy" duncan.

Good find on the back-pain/climbing paper.

john1923

#79 Re: CORE me up
April 17, 2011, 03:39:21 pm
I'm not an expert, but I'd recommend exercises that transfer power through your core, such as;

Farmers carry.

Pick up 2 big dumbbells, hold them with straight arms and walk 3-4 laps in a figure of 8.

This exercises all of your muscles, especially the small supporting ones in your core.

Romanian lifts, with light dumbbells.

Stepups holding big dumbbells with straight arms.

If you want an 8-pack then barbell roll-outs are fun, just don't compete with your mates, or you'll be in a world of pain

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal